User Tag List

Thread: abnormal sound when apply brake while very low speed travelling

Default abnormal sound when apply brake while very low speed travelling

Hi guys,

My 05 mps 6 has a abnormal rap sound (like metal knock) just when i apply brake at very low speed, mostly while reversing.
    does anyone know what's wrong and how do i eliminate it?

please refer to the below vedio at 5th second.

cheers

i've got this same noise and i have been trying to eliminate it for a while i think it is either the lower arm ball joints or steering rack bushes, is yours lowered???? mine is and it made the noise a lot more apparent when i lowered it so it could be something to do with the swaybar im doing a complete front end overhaul soon so if i find the cause i will let you know but i would put my money on the lower arm ball joints

Thanks in advance mate, yeah Please let me know if you find the cause.
    My one has standard suspention. I'm thinking to change the shocks (as one of them is leaking) and get lower springs next month.
    now, sounds like i should get rid of this noise beforehand, otherwise it will keep annoying even more..

by the way, what springs you have? did you change the stock shocks as well?

cheers

i got king springs with standard shocks that are quite buggered atm so im going to get tein coilover's but i dont think its the shocks now that you mention that you are running standard i'll keep in touch

You don't eliminate it. It's most probably the pads shifting backwards in their housings and creating a click or knock noise. It's a one off. It will normally do it once when you apply the brakes when reversing, then maybe once again when you apply the brakes the first time going forwards. You only hear it at low speed bcs that is when you are manoeuvering. I doubt you 60kmh backwards often. I gave up wondering about it after I figured what it is. If you are really worried about it, jack up the car and spin the wheel while someone gently applies the brake. You will see the pad move. Anyway, I'm surprised you can hear it at all given the racket your car is making in that video.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 24-05-2012 at 01:17 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

@Doug_MPS6 i thought this could also be the problem but mine does it even after i come back from a run and i hit the brakes while going forward somethimes without hitting the brakes but i think thats the swaybar knocking on my chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    You don't eliminate it. It's most probably the pads shifting backwards in their housings and creating a click or knock noise. It's a one off. It will normally do it once when you apply the brakes when reversing, then maybe once again when you apply the brakes the first time going forwards. You only hear it at low speed bcs that is when you are manoeuvering. I doubt you 60kmh backwards often. I gave up wondering about it after I figured what it is. If you are really worried about it, jack up the car and spin the wheel while someone gently applies the brake. You will see the pad move. Anyway, I'm surprised you can hear it at all given the racket your car is making in that video.
    i can hear it quite clearly actually even with all window close.
    I'll try spin the wheel see if it's the pad making that noise.
    do you know i'll be able to spin the front wheel if i only jack up the front? or i need to lift the whole car up?

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    Thanks for the link mate!

You will hear it with the windows closed. The required movement is a matter of mm, that is all the pad moves in the housing. You should be able to do it with the front only jacked.

You will hear it with the windows closed. The required movement is a matter of mm, that is all the pad moves in the housing. You should be able to do it with the front only jacked.
    so it becomes a front wheel drive?

My Golf makes the same noise too, thanks Doug I thought it may have been pads
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6