User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Will They Fit

1. Default

What is the law regarding wheels on rims? So you have a link to the legislation or guidelines?

Because I happen to have a link here to the RMS vehicle standards guidelines for alternate wheels and tyres.

http://Www.RMS.NSW.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf.

And it says nothing like what you're suggesting.
    Last edited by son of eevil; 22-11-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    What is the law regarding wheels on rims? So you have a link to the legislation or guidelines?

Because I happen to have a link here to the RMS vehicle standards guidelines for alternate wheels and tyres.

http://Www.RMS.NSW.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf.

Yokohama says 8" is minimum for 235/40/18
    http://mobile.yokohamatire.com/tires...m_wheel_width/
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

3. Default

I'm betting a 235/45 will mount the rim just fine, it will buldge in fact that's a popular look on some places.

However you could step to 235/35 or 40

I'm not saying a 235 is ideal on a 7.5" rim but it will fit. May have some some sloppy sidewalls.

Personally I would mount a 225.
    Last edited by son of eevil; 22-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.

I am running 235 /40 on my 7.5 inch wide rims on my daily, but that is because it kept the speedo bang on. Has a slightly bulge (which helps prevent curb rash ) but never heard any comments saying it is a no-no? Not saying that it isn't wrong, but yeah, never heard that before.

Due to how bloody hard it is to find that size these days will be stepping to 225 next tire change though.

Www.RMS.NSW.gov.au/registration/downloads/Beu/vsi09_rev4.pdf.

Registration < Roads and Maritime Services
    Kuhmo ,Michelin etc max you can go on a 7 inch rim is 225/45/18
    if you exceed the manufacture limit on tyre size u are asking for trouble , if you crash = no insurance
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s/vsi/vsi6.pdf
    Last edited by chef; 22-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Registration < Roads and Maritime Services
    Kuhmo ,Michelin etc max you can go on a 7 inch rim is 225/45/18
    if you exceed the manufacture limit on tyre size u are asking for trouble , if you crash = no insurance
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s/vsi/vsi6.pdf
    I'm having trouble locating the part that says anything regarding maximum limit in regards to manufacturer tyre sizes or rims?
    Also you mentioned 225 is the largest you can go on a 7" rim, we're talking about a 7.5" rim.

Given that there's approx 2.5cm for every inch and that tyre widths are measured in millimeters ie 225 being 225mm or 22.5CM 235 is 1CM wider half an inch is approx 1.25CM so it stands to reason that based on what you've said a 235 will go on an 7.5" rim and still meet the manufacturer specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Yokohama says 8" is minimum for 235/40/18
    Performance Tire Width | Yokohama Tire Corp.
    Do you have a link to the maximum/minimum manufacturer specifications for tyre/wheel fitment? I'm not sure this counts, it's just a recommendation with what appears to be their get out of jail free card. What we really need is a maximum/minimum specification for wheel/tyre fitment from the vendor not a recommendations page.

I'm happy to admit that it's illegal if someone can find me some piece of legislation or relevant guidelines.

I just went through the PDS for NRMA and can't find anything that mentions wheels and tyres at all, you can see that here http://www.nrma.com.au/sites/default...13018-0912.pdf

Current mods:
    CorkSport SRI, TIP & Airbox
    Cobb Access Port

I'm betting a 235/45 will mount the rim just fine, it will buldge in fact that's a popular look on some places.

However you could step to 235/35 or 40

I'm not saying a 235 is ideal on a 7.5" rim but it will fit. May have some some sloppy sidewalls.

Personally I would mount a 225.
    Federal 595 | Ultra High Performance Tyre
    federal recommend is 8inch plus on a 235 ,not every tyre manufacture publish this, a reputable tyre shop will advise the maximum size,when I asked bob jane last year on maximum tyre size for a 7.5 inch he looked in a booklet and I was told 225/40 was the max for a 7.5 inch.
    If a tyre manufacture says that 225 is the max for a 7.5 inch then IMO I would take there advice as you are exceeding the manufacture limit =insurance hassles later on
    As this is a will it fit I would so no because you are exceeding the tyre manufacture tyre size for a 7.5 inch rim.
    Last edited by chef; 23-11-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

8. Default

can you find any exclusions in insurance PDS' to state they cab deny a claim based on tyre fitment?

I looked and couldn't find anything.

They are just common sense: You can find some in the DPI websites.

- Make sure speed rating meets/exceeds manufacturer's specifications..
    - Wheels/tyres cannot protrude past the bodywork/mud guards.
    - Foul on any of the bodywork or any vehicle component when locked from side to side.
    - The tyre load rating must meet or exceed the manufacturer's specifications.
    - The manufacturer's specified vehicle track must not be exceeded by more than 25mm.
    - The rim should be no lower than the lowest part of the vehicle (silly rule for WA which is very very stupid)
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 23-11-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    - Wheels/tyres cannot protrude past the bodywork/mud)
    Oops.

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    Oops.

^_^
    HELLATHRUSH Hooligan!

Blog Entries

Hi everyone, been quite awhile since I've poked my nose in, but just had to say: it's great to see good sensible advice taking precedence now. Back in the day this often descended into crazy arguments about why fitments that were obviously not legal and nobody should recommend were actually OK.

My opinion use to be: a performance/sports car should have a fitment to improve the cars handling and traction characteristics. I have slowly come around to the idea of aggressive fitment.

HELLAFLUSH is just dangerous:

Aggressivce fitment is hot and functional:

I know that bodyboardingbum has a set up that I would say is aggresive as I would want to go
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    My opinion use to be: a performance/sports car should have a fitment to improve the cars handling and traction characteristics. I have slowly come around to the idea of aggressive fitment.

HELLAFLUSH is just dangerous:

Aggressivce fitment is hot and functional:

I know that bodyboardingbum has a set up that I would say is aggresive as I would want to go
    Roll your guards....... Go 235 on +45 get soft tyres, get - camber front + rear, get bracing and sway bars... All you need is 200-220kw on good tune... @DAN MPS 3 You got a thanks for this post bro
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Hi everyone, been quite awhile since I've poked my nose in, but just had to say: it's great to see good sensible advice taking precedence now. Back in the day this often descended into crazy arguments about why fitments that were obviously not legal and nobody should recommend were actually OK.
    Good to have you here again bro
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

In all honesty the guy's for handling i always turn too is @Reedy .... power @Rayd and @LittleredMPS @MPS2NV and buying stuff @2XS and Edge

I need softer tyres, more power and (coincidentally) better brakes shortly after
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 24-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.

18. Default

I certainly wouldn't think a 235 or a 7.5" would be dangerous, there a certainly a lot of performance befits (especially in acceleration).

If you wanted to keep things in balance you can go a 235/35 or 235/40 and it won't bulge as much.

But fat tyres on rims look awesome, much better then stretch and much safer. a bit of sidewall movement can improve handling (obviously too much can reduce it).

Current mods:
    CorkSport SRI, TIP & Airbox
    Cobb Access Port

All that stuff is on Facebook now
    Means we can go back to wanting to go faster!
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I certainly wouldn't think a 235 or a 7.5" would be dangerous, there a certainly a lot of performance befits (especially in acceleration).

If you wanted to keep things in balance you can go a 235/35 or 235/40 and it won't bulge as much.

But fat tyres on rims look awesome, much better then stretch and much safer. a bit of sidewall movement can improve handling (obviously too much can reduce it).
    if you dont push a car to its limits. what you typed makes sense. if you are aiming for limit finding and speed. then no.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast