User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - Another Black MPS Gen II Paint Correction + Opticoat

Default Dan's Garage - Another Black MPS Gen II Paint Correction + Opticoat

This weekend saw me paint correcting and Opticoating another Metallic Black Gen II Mazda 3 MPS. This one was a 2010 model, owned by Pat (Rotated).

It was a lovely Melbourne day, so I didn't take too many before pics. Instead I wanted to just get the car washed and into the garage so we could both get out of the rain .

Pat had painted the standard calipers blue, which was a nice contrast to the black of the paintwork, especially with the white MPS stickers

There was the fairly standard collection of swirls and watermarks present on the roof

and also the bonnet

As well as the sills:

and the C pillars:

Cue the A Team music and several hours later with the aid of some Optimum Compound II on an orange CCS (rotary), then GPS on a white CCS (rotary) we see:

50/50

Finished bonnet:

Finished Roof:

C Pillar:

That characteristic Mazda 3 Rear quarter:

And the rear:

An artsy Optimum GPS pic, because I'm so damned impressed with this product:

An Eraser wipedown, followed by another wipedown with demineralised water and it was on with the Opticoat and finished for the night.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Next day was clean up and some additional pics

As it was a nicer day than yesterday, I got some outdoor pics

Time taken - 17hrs over two days

Thanks for reading

Dan
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 20-05-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Done a good job on that Dan.

Very impressed.

The black always looks awesome when cleaned up.

Farken hell Dan, incredible job as always!!!

@LittleredMPS, you have a date with my car in near future to do this to mine...

Once I get it back from it's nose job

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You are awesome Dan... Great job

Like brand new but better!

looks great man

I'm always impressed by these posts. Awesome job man!

Thanks all. Was fun . Also got to try out the new digital SLR, so hopefully the pics do better justice to the work

What's the next step up from showroom condition ?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS190 View Post
    What's the next step up from showroom condition ?
    Hahah thanks mate. Just out of the factory I think is what I try to aim for.

In reality, "showroom condition" isn't hard to beat, especially when the sales staff wander around all day dusting off the cars with cloths and swirling them all to hell. Some of the "new" cars that have come to me straight from dealers......

That's ridiculous. Top effort once again!

13. Default

Cheers Dan! Came out awesome. Pics dont do his work justice.

Shame it was dark when i got home will have to wait till tommoro to drool over it
    :thumbup:

Need to get you on a flight to Cairns Dan!

Another 2 black MPS's waiting for you mate!

Top job. I really enjoy your threads.

Tom

Top job yet again Dan!
    Agreed with the 'showroom condition' statement... Mine was far from perfect when I picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Thanks all. Was fun . Also got to try out the new digital SLR, so hopefully the pics do better justice to the work
    And it shows, pictures look great. Well done.

Slightly off topic but how long would you leave the car before applying a second coat of Naviwax - that Jap stuff.
    I spend a few hours today getting my car looking good and applied a layer of wax, but should I apply another coat within a few days to provide longer lasting protecting?
    Washed/dried, meguiars clay bar, poorboys swirl remover, poorboys black glaze, Naviwax...
    first time I've clayed a car - very happy with the results, made the paintwork super smooth

Nowhere near as good as your work Dan - maybe one day
    Versatune, BNR turbo, 3" catted downpipe, HTP 3" turbo inlet, CPE diff brace/intercooler/intake/enginemount/towplate, Autotech fuel pump, Sure juggernaught, Eibach springs, oil/boost gauges, JBR EGR delete/catch can/Wheel spacers, Corksport boost tubes/rad cap/strut brace/clutch line, NGK iridium IX Plugs, De-cat&custom exhaust, Turbosmart BPV, VG Sharkfin, Snow stage 2 meth with aquamist jet/parts
    301whp 341 lb/ft at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    Slightly off topic but how long would you leave the car before applying a second coat of Naviwax - that Jap stuff.
    I spend a few hours today getting my car looking good and applied a layer of wax, but should I apply another coat within a few days to provide longer lasting protecting?
    Washed/dried, meguiars clay bar, poorboys swirl remover, poorboys black glaze, Naviwax...
    first time I've clayed a car - very happy with the results, made the paintwork super smooth

Nowhere near as good as your work Dan - maybe one day

Good to see you're into the Naviwax Kev. How are you finding it?

Naviwax is a true wipe on wipe off paste wax, so you can layer it immediately. Don't leave it on the panel for more than about 10 mins though. It becomes a bitch to wipe off . I do a panel at a time and by the time I've worked my way around the car I go straight onto the second layer and work around it again.

2-3 layers should give you great depth and also reasonable protection for your climate.

I'm really liking the wax, very easy to apply and it should provide the 'wet' look I'm after... I'll post up a couple pics when I'm done
    what would you apply to wiper arms? My ones are a bit tired looking and need some love... Thanks Dan

Have to admit I think your best work yet Damn that looks sexie.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast