• Falken fk452

3 50.00%
  • Dunlop sp Maxx TT

0 0%
  • Dunlop sp Maxx

3 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyres need advice

Speed ratings of the tyres can open a big can of worms (well in NSW at least).
    The MPS tyre placard specifies 88 Y - thats a speed rating of 300kph.
    The RTA rules state that the tyres can be of a lower speed rating (W = 270kph) provided a bright orange 40mm x 40mm sticker is displayed in the bottom right hand corner of the widescreen.
    The sticker states that you have fitted tyres whose speed rating is lower than that specified by the manufacturer.
    Now we all know that a W rated tyre is perfectly safe on Australian roads, but without that sticker your insurance company could void your insurance in the case of an accident.

A lot of the tyres mentioned here including the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 are W rated.

First I have every hear of that. I'd have to do some research to confirm. Got a link to confirm? All the docs I have read have never seen speed ratings mentioned.

All I know is that all tyres sold and fitted in Australia to light motor vehicles have to be rated at 180kph or higher.

But for load ratings, you must be equal to or higher, never under the load rating specified.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Found it:-

It is strongly recommended that the speed rating of the tyres fitted should be equal to or better than the rating ofthe original tyres fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, however:
    If the speed rating of the tyres specified for your vehicle is higher than 140km/h, you may fit tyres with alower speed rating but not lower than 140km/h.
    If the replacement tyres fitted, including winter tread tyres (commonly called “mud and snow” tyres) and
    retreaded tyres
    , have a speed rating less than that shown on the vehicle’s tyre placard, a warning label must
    be affixed to the vehicle (usually by the tyre dealer) which states:

Sux to be in NSW... Maybe!!!

The tyre placard on a modern Mazda doesn't specify that a certain tyre speed rating, just shows the tyres fitted to the MPS.

I have seen other older placards that state a certain load rating and speed rating are required.

If your placard doesn't have those specifications down the bottom, then you can ignore that rule in NSW.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 04-08-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Here's a pic of my tyre placard from my 2010 MPS.
    It shows a load rating of 88 and a speed rating of Y...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2885.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	11861

Quote Originally Posted by hypersven View Post
    Speed ratings of the tyres can open a big can of worms (well in NSW at least).
    The MPS tyre placard specifies 88 Y - thats a speed rating of 300kph.
    The RTA rules state that the tyres can be of a lower speed rating (W = 270kph) provided a bright orange 40mm x 40mm sticker is displayed in the bottom right hand corner of the widescreen.
    The sticker states that you have fitted tyres whose speed rating is lower than that specified by the manufacturer.
    Now we all know that a W rated tyre is perfectly safe on Australian roads, but without that sticker your insurance company could void your insurance in the case of an accident.

A lot of the tyres mentioned here including the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 are W rated.
    ? Didn't know this. Where are we suppose to get the bright orange sticker from ? Is it any old sticker or something from the RTA ?

edit: Just checked ... My Goodyear F1 Eagle Asym 2 is 'Y' rated, like the OEM.. phew !
    Last edited by naasif; 04-08-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Very interesting. This means that my Neova's (W speed rating) don't comply because they are "only" rated to 270km/hr? Surely the only way the speed rating will get involved in an insurance claim is if your tyres fly apart at high speed.

They comply with the rules fine...

But I don't have a magic sticker on my windscreen!!!!!11!1one!

You would be so so stiffed it they pulled your insurance claim on this basis - load rating and correct width are far more important and what they will look at.

The only reason they would argue that your claim is void is if the incorrect tires were a direct cause of the incident - in which case, you would have to have been travelling at a speed over the speed rating in the first place - to which I'd suggest the insurance claim would be the least of your problems as they will more readily be focusing on the fact you were doing 150km/h over the maximum legal speed limit ANYWHERE in Australia (tracks not included as most insurance policies don't insure you for those activities anyway).

Stress less.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    But I don't have a magic sticker on my windscreen!!!!!11!1one!
    So does that make the tyres or the lack of a magic sticker which is readily available the failure to comply?

Easy. Get pilot super sports ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Easy. Get pilot super sports ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    This

Sent from my iPhone

Might have a look at Goodyear eagle f1's they do well in every test. I spoke to my local Goodyear bloke and there not badly priced either...

I've been real happy with Yoko S Drives (as has 2 other MPS drivers here in Cairns). But with difficulties importing from USA will think other options come replacement time; they're so expensive locally.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Might have a look at Goodyear eagle f1's they do well in every test. I spoke to my local Goodyear bloke and there not badly priced either...
    Have you looked at the tire rack test results?
    The Michelin pilot super sports are the highest rated tyre for grip. They are also the highest tyre rated for customer reviews... Have a Y speed rating and a treadwear of 300.

You should be looking overseas. PSS was 1380 delivered to my door including taxes.

I've had eagle f1's in the past and was unhappy with them. Yoko s drives are not bad but nothing compares to the pss. Best non racing rubber on the market.
    Last edited by Jmac; 12-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Have you looked at the tire rack test results?
    The Michelin pilot super sports are the highest rated tyre for grip. They are also the highest tyre rated for customer reviews... Have a Y speed rating and a treadwear of 300.

You should be looking overseas. PSS was 1380 delivered to my door including taxes.

I've had eagle f1's in the past and was unhappy with them. Yoko s drives are not bad but nothing compares to the pss. Best non racing rubber on the market.
    Tirerack won't ship Michelins or Yokos anymore as the Manufactures have found the loop hole for us Aussie's and have asked them to stop

I have Pirelli PZero Rosso Assimetrico and they are far the best mod I have done to my car

I recently order a new set from tirerack for my 19" Rims in a 235/40 config. I really can't recommend them highly enough. A bit on the pricey side, but I'm a very happy customer!!

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Yes they will Pete, I got mine week before last

I heard the same thing on here from someone else, I emailed in, ordered and they took my money and delivered them. No questions asked.
    If anyone has an issue buying PM me and I will email you the consultant there that contacted me back.
    Last edited by Jmac; 12-08-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12