User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobb, ECU TEk or Hypertech ?????

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    only one i can think of isnt touching my car
    dont have money for the mandatory engine rebuild that goes along with it
    Just because they are selling it, doesnt make them a certified pro-tuner, unless there's something I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I am quite suspect of HT tunes after seeing Sams car perform significantly better with a stock tune than it did with a HT.
    I always thought 'those' dyno runs had an ulterior motive behind them
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    Have any of the pro tuning places around committed to using the Access Tuner software for the AP as yet?
    Am I right to assume that you can obtain an e-tune using AP? If so, I would recommend it as an alternative to dyno tuning.

Consider this: Only one or two tuners in this country have meaningful experience tuning MPS. None that I'm aware of have experience tuning MPS with AP or VT. If I'm right about that, then who wants to pay by the hour for someones education? Dyno tuning has some limitations which don't exist when doing an e-tune. Probably the worst aspect of dyno tuning an MPS is heatsoak, which skews the various sensor readings.

On the other hand, an e-tune is based on data logs obtained in real-world driving conditions. I'm not convinced that fans reproduce real-world driving conditions inside a workshop. So I see an e-tune, matching the engine to the exact conditions experienced on the road, as preferable to the hot and stuffy conditions of a dyno room.

With the advent of products like AP and VT, in conjunction with e-tuning (by tuners with experience on type) there is a viable, if not preferable, alternative to dyno tuning. In fact I think the case for e-tuning is compelling.

I recently completed my first e-tune using VT and couldn't be happier with the outcome. My custom tune cohesively matches the bigger turbo and other mods to my driving style. It's safe, drivable and powerful. I feel that I got a better result with an e-tune done by an experienced MPS tuner, at a fraction of the cost of a dyno tune. With this type of technology now available I don't see the need to use a chassis dyno again (for a street driven car).

And if you like numbers, you can plug your data logs into virtual dyno and derive horsepower numbers that are equally as meaningless as chassis dyno numbers. So you don't have to miss out on anything with an e-tune.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Am I right to assume that you can obtain an e-tune using AP? If so, I would recommend it as an alternative to dyno tuning.

Consider this: Only one or two tuners in this country have meaningful experience tuning MPS. None that I'm aware of have experience tuning MPS with AP or VT. If I'm right about that, then who wants to pay by the hour for someones education? Dyno tuning has some limitations which don't exist when doing an e-tune. Probably the worst aspect of dyno tuning an MPS is heatsoak, which skews the various sensor readings.

On the other hand, an e-tune is based on data logs obtained in real-world driving conditions. I'm not convinced that fans reproduce real-world driving conditions inside a workshop. So I see an e-tune, matching the engine to the exact conditions experienced on the road, as preferable to the hot and stuffy conditions of a dyno room.

With the advent of products like AP and VT, in conjunction with e-tuning (by tuners with experience on type) there is a viable, if not preferable, alternative to dyno tuning. In fact I think the case for e-tuning is compelling.

I recently completed my first e-tune using VT and couldn't be happier with the outcome. My custom tune cohesively matches the bigger turbo and other mods to my driving style. It's safe, drivable and powerful. I feel that I got a better result with an e-tune done by an experienced MPS tuner, at a fraction of the cost of a dyno tune. With this type of technology now available I don't see the need to use a chassis dyno again (for a street driven car).

And if you like numbers, you can plug your data logs into virtual dyno and derive horsepower numbers that are equally as meaningless as chassis dyno numbers. So you don't have to miss out on anything with an e-tune.
    this ^
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

+2, this is why a lot of race cars are tuned at the track, as opposed to dyno tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I am quite suspect of HT tunes after seeing Sams car perform significantly better with a stock tune than it did with a HT.
    Yes.. peak. Mid range no.
    I used to spike to 21psi, with ht it holds 16psi.
    The drivability and low down is much better

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Did i mension ECUTEK... i now love me car IM SO IN LOVE... (wouldnt be the mods too )

Just got an mps 6 last week. Ordered an AP straight up. No experience just thought it had more features, awaiting delivery tomorrow.......

8. Default

Hi all,

my girlfriend has a 2005 model MPS6 (australian release) and she'd like the ECU reflashed to bump up the performance a bit. At present the car is standard with the exception of a K&N panel filter as well as rear mufflers (they've been replaced with mufflers that a Y-division instead of a T-divison). Depending on the performance gains achieved by the reflash however she's also considering a downpipe upgrade as well as SRI.

As such I figured a Cobb AccessPort was the way to go given that they are more flexible with respect to other mods, and I've since had a look through the Cobb AccessPort sticky.

Firstly, do people agree that a Cobb would be the best way for her to go?

Secondly, where is the best place to buy a Cobb unit from?

I've seen the units on eBay for $525 + $16 postage, however the ad states they are for USDM only. I've contacted the seller to see if they will work on an Australian release 2005 MPS6 but so far I've received no reply.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonBOY26 View Post
    Hi all,

my girlfriend has a 2005 model MPS6 (australian release) and she'd like the ECU reflashed to bump up the performance a bit. At present the car is standard with the exception of a K&N panel filter as well as rear mufflers (they've been replaced with mufflers that a Y-division instead of a T-divison). Depending on the performance gains achieved by the reflash however she's also considering a downpipe upgrade as well as SRI.

As such I figured a Cobb AccessPort was the way to go given that they are more flexible with respect to other mods, and I've since had a look through the Cobb AccessPort sticky.

Firstly, do people agree that a Cobb would be the best way for her to go?

Secondly, where is the best place to buy a Cobb unit from?

I've seen the units on eBay for $525 + $16 postage, however the ad states they are for USDM only. I've contacted the seller to see if they will work on an Australian release 2005 MPS6 but so far I've received no reply.

Thanks
    Edgeautosports for the ap. Hpfp upgrade are also selling them, maybe street unit are too.
    Look to use our sponsors first,they are supporting the community.

If you are considering the ap also look into versatune.

Also for the six I'd look at the cork sport full sri, if you are in Vic I can show you ours :-D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12