User Tag List

Thread: Using an OBD2 scanner

Default Using an OBD2 scanner

Hi guys I have an Actron Cp9150 which worked great on my BMW. It's supposed to be suitable for any car with and OBD2 port but I can't get it to read the MPS.

What is the procedure? I know with the BMW it involved a certain method of turning keys forwards and backwards etc.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Mat

2. Default

switch off the the car, plug in the OBD connector into the port (MPS6 under the steering area; MPS3 left off the steering wheel). switch on the OBD tool if you have to else turn the key to the ignition position and wait a about 1 min or 2 - your tool shoudl run via all availble protocols before selecting the correct on.
    This is how mine works - and its off an Android phone! lol

Turn to ignition? Or acc? because I tried a few combos and it just says 'read error'

You need ignition to be on.

Mine works fine if I plug it in before or after I turn the car on. I have a different reader, but the sequence of events doesn't seem to matter. It just needs to be plugged in with the ignition on.

@Reedy, So car is running while it reads?

Sorry for being a pain.

The engine doesn't need to be running, just the ignition on. My engine is usually running when I use mine tho because I use it to log parameters 90% of the time. If you just want to check CEL codes, then ignition is all you need.

7. Default

are you sure your reader can read CAN protocol - which is what i think our cars use.

Yeh it is....it's actually an Actron cp9550. Said it covers obd2 and CAN.

My BMW was CAN-BUS and it worked so hmm....

Yawl got ISSUES!

10. Default

try and borrow someone's ODB reader to check your car's port works fine. then try your OBD reader on another to check your reader works fine. i am sure you will be able to figure it out. If you are in somewhere in melbourne i will be more than happy to lend you mine.

I'll show u mine if you show me yours baby...