User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 Exhaust

Default MPS 6 Exhaust

Hi am new to my MPS 6 just picked it up.. Was wondering whats the best way to go, am looking for more performance over sound. I read on the forums some say just change the dump? to get more performance is that keeping the rest stock?? and what size should i get if i do a custom cat back? cuz i was thinking of getting it custom. unbranded but unsure about the size am usually a vtec guy haha so 2 1/4 normally does the job lol.

Also looking to change the intake.. just wondering what suggestions people have on whats best, stock box with KnN filter.. Short Ram. or the long ram sitting the pod behind the grill?

AS much advice and suggestions would b really helpful guys, quite new to mazda thanks

If your after performance over sound, just do the dump pipe. Thats where 99% of the improvement is. Changing the T piece before the rear mufflers to a Y will yield a tiny bit of gain, but not much. The mufflers aren't worth changing unless you want noise

Welcome mate. This Brad supports ^ that Brad, DP would make a nice improvement.

Keep researching on this forum, loads of info.

A few quotes from my rides thread that might help you out mate

Quote Originally Posted by alexlimmy View Post
    Hi am new to my MPS 6 just picked it up.. Was wondering whats the best way to go, am looking for more performance over sound. I read on the forums some say just change the dump? to get more performance is that keeping the rest stock?? and what size should i get if i do a custom cat back? cuz i was thinking of getting it custom. unbranded but unsure about the size am usually a vtec guy haha so 2 1/4 normally does the job lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    T H E - E X H A U S T

If you're looking into a decent exhaust for your 6/3 plan about $2-2,500 minimum. It's basically from the turbo back, replacing the stock system, thus giving you more power, and if it's your desire, enhanced sound. The stock downpipe (turbo, into downpipe, into catalytic converter out...) is a large restrictive member in the MPS. The flow is poor, the design is large and considers emissions and the likes. Removal of this will give a increased exhaust gas flow and at less resistance due to the larger diameter of the downpipe unit itself.

The optional part now, is whether or not to get a cat-back system, flanged to the downpipe. In terms of "power" most of the gains you will be able to achieve are left at the downpipe. Although a smoother and larger diameter makes for less resistance and of course replacing the mufflers will give a sound to your vehicle. You will notice on the 6, the cat-back single pipe-run splits further down to enable entry to the twin mufflers. This split (or "Y" piece) is pretty much a curved "T". Having a "T"-like run makes for increased resistance as your exhaust gas attempts to exit via the mufflers. A high flow, less resistance "Y" piece (see photo's below) would achieve minimal gains but results in a smoother higher flowing system. Why not compliment the downpipe and complete the exhaust if your finances allow you?

In my case my system (as pictured) is a CP-E Stainless steel catted Downpipe, flanged to a custom-fabricated, coated, twin-resonator 3 inch mild steel cat back exhaust complete with smooth "Y" flow mandrel bend and twin-supercat mufflers. Mufflers can be personal preference. Stainless, oval, cannon, round, high flow, sports, sound, loud are some the words that come to mind. If you intend getting a set of mufflers you want a note, but nothing too loud that will make the neighbours hate you and the cops like you. For me it was two stainless steel super-cat mufflers. They're oval by design and sit high up, thus offering next to no chance of hitting. The pipework neck from the muffler will/should comfortably exit the chrome exhaust tips sitting not to far out but rather inside about ~10mm

0₂ Sensor connection on DP

DP Flange to cat-back, can see one resonator and the other in the corner of the shot

Pipework connection into muffler

Rear setup

Exhaust Tip

Also looking to change the intake.. just wondering what suggestions people have on whats best, stock box with KnN filter.. Short Ram. or the long ram sitting the pod behind the grill?
    Refer my thread on intake. It'll be a massive unnecessary post if I copy/paste here. It's really up to what you want. I have a CAI so if that's what you're after, have a read. Other options as mentioned is a SRI. A few other folks might be able to point you in the direction of that info (with pics etc)

AS much advice and suggestions would b really helpful guys, quite new to mazda thanks
    Refer above

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Changing everything except the muffler will give you a close to stock sound.
    i.e. If you did your dump pipe, mid pipe, and whole cat back and kept the stock mufflers it would only sound a little louder than stock.

The majority of the sound is coming from the mufflers.

So if you wanted
    Power and minimal sound = change your dump pipe, mid pipe, cat back, keep your stock mufflers.

Lots of sound and minimal power gains = change your cat back and mufflers

Power and sound = full turbo back including the mufflers.

I think 3" should be fine, anything more is probably over kill. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks for the info. yeah prob goin to change;

Dump pipe inc Cat, and go 3 inch Catback with stock muffles. besides the "shiney look" is there much diff if i go mid steel or stainless? thanks

Go stainless, it'll rust otherwise. Also I find SS exhausts seem to have a better resonance sound. If you've ever heard a titanium exhaust though, you'll notice a definite difference in note

A well-made mid pipe will double the power gain of a DP and should add less than $500 to the bill if you have it made in stainless. There's very little power to be gained by changing the mufflers, in fact you can lose power by cobbling together a custom system if it isn't done right.

\what do u mean change the mid pipe to save 500? so dont need a dump? just front and mid pipe? straight to cat

No, what I mean is that a DP on its own will give you about a 20hp gain, and a good mid pipe will give another 18 to 20 hp. So it doubles what you can get from a DP on its own. They work together to give you ~40hp.

A DP will be expensive to buy, and installation will also be expensive, perhaps around $1300 total. But if you add a mid pipe to the recipe it should only cost an extra $500 which makes it a very cost-effective mod.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    A well-made mid pipe will double the power gain of a DP and should add less than $500 to the bill if you have it made in stainless. There's very little power to be gained by changing the mufflers, in fact you can lose power by cobbling together a custom system if it isn't done right.
    Do you suggest a particular one/size?

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    Do you suggest a particular one/size?

Sent from my iPhone
    A 2XS one in 3"

Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337386466.833790.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	11049

That's some crafty welding there Troy. 3" to twin 2.5"'s?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337386466.833790.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	11049

That's some crafty welding there Troy. 3" to twin 2.5"'s?
    Twin 2.25"
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

i wish 2XS was in NSW

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    i wish 2XS was in NSW
    Go away you dirty cockroaches :-p

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

I've got a question... I currently have custom made exhaust bolted from downpipe straight back to my back boxes... I'm now looking to get a catted downpipe - direct replacement of stock downpipe as I require it to bolt to my custom exhaust... (I do not have the second cat in position and do not have flanges made up)All the downpipes I see are bigger in length than the stock downpipe, are there any direct replacement catted downpipes??Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    I've got a question... I currently have custom made exhaust bolted from downpipe straight back to my back boxes... I'm now looking to get a catted downpipe - direct replacement of stock downpipe as I require it to bolt to my custom exhaust... (I do not have the second cat in position and do not have flanges made up)All the downpipes I see are bigger in length than the stock downpipe, are there any direct replacement catted downpipes??Thanks
    Im not sure if i am understanding this correctly, but I have a CP-E downpipe in my car and it was a direct replacement of the stock DP, (at the time i also had stock cat back exhaust) depending of the size of your custom exhaust you may just need to change the flange on the downpipe to match the size of your exhuast

I must be loosing my mind... Is there another thread titled exactly this aswell?