User Tag List

Thread: Testing BOV Performance.

1. Default Testing BOV Performance.

Now to some this may seem like a stupid question and no doubt i am going to be made to look like tool ,but here goes.

Having recently installed my Cobb TIP and SRI i am having concerns with the performance of my BOV.

The BOV is a stock part at present. When loading up i was expecting to get the the sound of turbo spool but i cant help but think that there is a little too much "HISS" for my liking.

Curious as to whether the internal diaphragm may be faulty and causing pressure dump before the correct manifold pressure is reached.

Can this be tested, and if so, How?

WISH LIST INCLUDES - Whiteline Sway Bars | Rota Grid Drift 18x9.5 Wheels In Brushed Bronze | Coilovers | BOV

If you're finding the car sounds like a vaccum cleaner with a ping pong ball stuck in the hose, then that's pretty normal lol

The only real way to test this would be to fit a boost gauge and go and find a nice long stretch of "private" road for a 4th gear WOT run, boost should peak at 15.7 psi, and taper off towards redline

I changed my bov to a turbosmart kompact and to me, it provided better throttle response. Im led to believe this is due to the piston in the turbosmart bov closing a lot quicker so that all the air isn't vented. feel free to have a run in my car when we meet for the stiffy

edit: im a fool, totally misread your post. the hiss could be a leak either from the bov, intake or vacuum hose. I thought you meant the hiss was from the bov closing slowly, though it could be leaking as you've mentioned. I got the stock one if you want to swap it over
    Last edited by lup15; 16-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMPS View Post
    Now to some this may seem like a stupid question and no doubt i am going to be made to look like tool ,but here goes.

Having recently installed my Cobb TIP and SRI i am having concerns with the performance of my BOV.

The BOV is a stock part at present. When loading up i was expecting to get the the sound of turbo spool but i cant help but think that there is a little too much "HISS" for my liking.

Curious as to whether the internal diaphragm may be faulty and causing pressure dump before the correct manifold pressure is reached.

Can this be tested, and if so, How?
    Having recenty installed my COBB TIP and SRI, and reinstalled my turbosmart dualport (had the stocker on), I notice that it does indeed sound "like a vacuum cleaner with a ping pong ball stuck in the hose"

I also notice that the sound of the BOV is quite different to when I had it on with the stock airbox and CPe TIP... much quieter in the PSSSSHHHHT department when hard on it, but makes some odd sounds during "lightly spirited" driving

Backed it off from fully tight today and seem to have eliminated the slight flutter I was getting.

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...