User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Evo Brembos on a Mazda MPS 6

Lightbulb HOW TO: Evo Brembos on a Mazda MPS 6

Good day fine chaps

Today I will go over how you can make your optic nerves hurt by simply pressing the brake pedal in your MPS6. That's Mazdaspeed 6 for the Americans in the room

For this conversion, you'll need the following:

- A Mazda 6 MPS
    - Some shiny Evo 8 MR brembos
    - Brake fluid
    - Dremel with a steel cutting bit
    - Impact Screwdriver
    - Wheels that will go over big brakes. Spacers *may* be required. Check legalities and other boring shit before getting these.
    - A better camera than an iphone 3

Ok, before you get started, there's some prep work you'll want to do. First things first, take your Evo disks to an engineer/brake shop/dodgy mate with a lathe and get the hubs bored out to size. From memory, nissan/mitsu hub size is 66.9mm and mazda is 67.1. So you only need to mill out an absolute poofteenth from the disk to make it fit.

Once this is done, your brakes are nice and serviced and stuff, and you have all the tools and stamina to do this, we need to get the car disassembled.

First, unbolt the caliper from the hub assembly.

Second, unbolt the banjo fitting from the caliper.

Third, unscrew the screws holding the brake disk to the wheel (you will need the impact screwdriver here). Now the whole brake assembly should slide off.

You'll notice straight away that your hands are now covered in filthy black shit, and the stock caliper is a hell of a lot heavier than our Brembos.

Now, you need to take out your dremel, have a shot of whiskey, and mill the tiniest bit out of the upper part of the bottom caliper bolt hole. This only needs to be done by less than half a millimeter. Again, if you're working in poofteenths, then you only need to go to one of those.

Then the Caliper holes will line up, and you can bolt the prick onto the hub. I suggest you slip the disk on at this stage too, the following photo is purely to show how the caliper fits. You'll find the brakes work a bit better if the disk is in there.

Because Mazda were effing legends when they sat down and thought out this car, the stock banjo fittings will bolt straight onto the evo calipers.

Now dump some brake fluid into the reservoir, bleed the crap out of the system, and have another shot of whiskey, because you're done buddy.

Now I don't want to hear any more piss weak comments about the stock mps brakes being good enough. Because one lap in this thing and you'll see you're been living a terrible, self-deluding lie. And you should feel bad for it.

Go get some more whiskey now.
    Last edited by MadAussie; 17-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.
    MPS6

I see you followed the correct path of making the car stop, before you made it go faster.
    I generally tend to go the other (wrong) way.

Nice work.

Congrats Mad.

Done some good work there.

Anyone know if the same rules apply to the 3MPS?

Nice one buddy
    Gotta find some brembos now

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Anyone know if the same rules apply to the 3MPS?
    Think Mad is going to do a test fit on a mates 3.

WICKED.

Does this use the Evo discs? Are they any larger in diameter?

Next purchase - one can of VHT caliper paint, and one can of wheel paint?

Yes, uses the Evo disks. You'll find that the disk sits about 1mm too far inboard from stock offset, however the pads will bed. 1mm is stuff all.
    Evo disks are also 320mm like standard, but are ~10mm thicker. Huge selection of aftermarket disks and pads - I've got EBC greenstuffs in there from the previous car, and it stops like a legend.

And paint? Nah. Adds weight.

Sheeesh...not for the faint hearted.

Looks awsome !

Do you need to upgrade the standard brake master cylinder?

I wouldnt think so shift.

The MPS booster should be up to the job of working calipers like that.

Would probably look at better braided brake lines though.

Quote Originally Posted by shift View Post
    Do you need to upgrade the standard brake master cylinder?
    I didn't, I don't think it's needed. The stock one seems to cope fine, the pedal feel hasn't changed an awful lot. A bit softer, but the bite point is fine, and there's no lights on the dash telling me anythings wrong.
    MPS6

Hey man great "how to" i was actually wondering if this would work as my bro has an evo and they looked almost right by eye but i was waiting till he had to get a second set of rotors so i could stuff around with the old ones but you beat me to it haha
    Good work mate

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post

Now I don't want to hear any more piss weak comments about the stock mps brakes being good enough. Because one lap in this thing and you'll see you're been living a terrible, self-deluding lie. And you should feel bad for it.
    i've got slightly uprgraded brakes but still a good run in them and they start to get soft

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

@MadAussie Why cant you live in vic bud

i'd love to see them on the car but i found a set of brembo's now for $500 f+r that im gonna order just gotta get discs now
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 13-05-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Hahaha yes!
    I'm very interested to see if the rears will work hey

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

One thing I want to remind anyone trying this, is to make sure you get the caliper bolts with the calipers - the stock MPS bolts are different to the brembos, and you can't find these at any repco sort of stores anywhere. I ran into this issue and now have OEM Ford Falcon bolts on one of them, lol. Not an easy thing to find on a Saturday.
    MPS6

i got a massive box of nuts and bolts from 3 fully stripped cars a fairmont, a cordia and a ford telstar tx5 AWS

hehehe well good luck Best to try to get stock evo lugs though when you buy the calipers.

I posted my results up on EVO Brembos on a MS6 - Mazdaspeed Forums since that was the thread that originally inspired me. Seems that this guy is the only other person to have tried this, and he went weak at the knees before finishing it... It was an old thread that instantly came back to life, so we may see some traffic come here from there.
    MPS6

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post

Go get some more whiskey now.
    Alright alright, I stand corrected ... that looked a hell of a lot less complicated then I thought it would be! Nice work!

Just updated the first post showing where to dremel out the caliper bolting point. I only just realised, after posting it to MSF as well, lol, what I have actually written on the image. Oh well.

Hey mate, a couple questions before I drop the $$ on brembos

Do I need to use Evo rotors? Or can i put on the brembos on my stock MPS rotors?

Also, do you think i will need spacers on stock offset wheels? I don't like the idea of spacers on a high power car, makes me nervous... Any idea on width difference between stock and these bad boy brembos?

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Hey mate, a couple questions before I drop the $$ on brembos

Do I need to use Evo rotors? Or can i put on the brembos on my stock MPS rotors?

Also, do you think i will need spacers on stock offset wheels? I don't like the idea of spacers on a high power car, makes me nervous... Any idea on width difference between stock and these bad boy brembos?
    Yes to Evo rotors...Unsure about spacers
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast