User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing too dark tint ?

Default Removing too dark tint ?

hi, bought my car 2 months ago, and I think the tint is way to dark,
    at the night I can only see the lights of cars and I can't really see people.
    so far I just drive with windows down but as winter is coming so I think I might remove this and get a 20 %??
    any suggestion and workshop doing a great job wiht resaonable price in Sydney??
    cheers

Justin

Rob @Hunters hill window tinting.
    Did mine for 230.

GOOGLE him and you find most car forums recommend his work.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

cheers

tints never too dark lol

oh yes it can be - try 5% all round, wintery day in pouring rain around dusk, merging onto a freeway at 100km/h......it's borderline suicide. ask me how i know.

How do you know @SMOKEY

Hehe

Peter "SLIXX"

@slixx - haha smarta$$

'COS, I had 5% limo tint on my Lexus LS400 (a.k.a land barge), and remember sitting at a standstill in a merge lane onto the princes fwy with my window down and the rain pouring in because I couldn't see anything in any of my mirrors through the tint.

As soon as dark tint gets some water on it, any remaining light gets refracted and it's like being in a fishbowl painted black!

Its OK if you were driving a Lexus, looking before merging is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Its OK if you were driving a Lexus, looking before merging is optional.
    Bahahah, and mine didn't have the optional extra indicator lights fitted either!

I have 20 on mine. Probably the lowest you wanna go.

Been in a car with 15, but it was difficult reversing and looking out of side mirrors

IMO

Peter "SLIXX"

OP is in Sydney - but for Vic members, RWC requirements mean that tinted windows can't be darker than 35% (65% light transmission) as it has always been.

BUT, Since Sept last year, new inspection process means RWC testers now have to put a spectrometer against your windows and take a photo of the reading. Obviously anything that doesn't adhere fails. The image (amongst a bunch of others) is stored on file and submitted to Vic Roads, so they then have a record of your reading (also will have photos of your engine bay, your suspension/brake setup with wheels off, disc thickness, ride height measurement etc).

Cops are cracking down - window tint blitz on St Kilda Rd and Swanston St at end of last year for example, just pulling cars over like a booze bus setup and writing defects for tints on the spot.

Worth keeping in mind.

Off topic: I predict in the very near future, cops will be able to access these images from the Vic roads database from roadside locations - and anything not shown in the images when the car was registered in a RWC state, will be grounds for defect. Fun times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    OP is in Sydney - but for Vic members, RWC requirements mean that tinted windows can't be darker than 35% (65% light transmission) as it has always been.

BUT, Since Sept last year, new inspection process means RWC testers now have to put a spectrometer against your windows and take a photo of the reading. Obviously anything that doesn't adhere fails. The image (amongst a bunch of others) is stored on file and submitted to Vic Roads, so they then have a record of your reading (also will have photos of your engine bay, your suspension/brake setup with wheels off, disc thickness, ride height measurement etc).

Cops are cracking down - window tint blitz on St Kilda Rd and Swanston St at end of last year for example, just pulling cars over like a booze bus setup and writing defects for tints on the spot.

Worth keeping in mind.

Off topic: I predict in the very near future, cops will be able to access these images from the Vic roads database from roadside locations - and anything not shown in the images when the car was registered in a RWC state, will be grounds for defect. Fun times ahead.

This is 100% correct, about a year or 2 people and drivers could get away with 25% on the rear windows and privacy tint but a window tinter i know said more recently his had people come back to him complaining that the had been defected for too dark tint.

Still not sure how car companies can sell cars with privacy tint and then there can be laws against aftermarket tint that aren't even as dark, in the same locations on a car... Just another one of the laws that doesn't make any sense.

Prime example new Focus RS has 10% tint on the rear windows which is factory and legal, and if someone was to have 20% on his XR5's rear windows that is unroadworthy, same basic car 2 different laws.

Ok rant ended

Back on topic some window tinting places may do tint removal cheap if the tint isn't that old and simply peels off.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Yep - one of those lovely 'grey' areas of the law huh?

Another tricky one is a lot of cars these days have a very slight tint or UV filter impregnated in the glass - it might be only 4 or 5%, barely detectable to the eye - so you ask for 'darkest legal tint' film, they put it on, and all of a sudden the combination of the two puts you over.

Back on topic: if you want to save a few bucks and remove your own tint, a heat gun works - heats up the adhesive and allows you to pick a corner
    and just strip it off - which is how the tinters will do it.

Or if you don't like that idea you can also use ammonia. It passes through the film and dissolves the glue.

Just be very careful of the demister lines, you can damage them very easily. I'd almost be inclined to leave the rear window alone because tinter will guaranteed say they accept no responsibility for damage to the demister. All it takes is one little break in the tracks, and the continuity is gone and the whole thing is r00ted = new rear window time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrelli View Post
    Rob @Hunters hill window tinting.
    Did mine for 230.

GOOGLE him and you find most car forums recommend his work.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Rob did the tint on my MPS. Did an awesome job, could not fault his work.
    He is also a very friendly bloke, we chatted the whole time, and he also travelled half an hour and came to me and did the tint in my garage.
    He came back and did my dads and sisters car to, both jobs flawless
    Charged around the $230 mark also.

yes so I finally went to Rob today coz I coudn't relly see anything at night, he checked my tint and they were 4%....
    after few discussion he suggested me to replace the front two sides and the back one for reversing to 16 % and keep the rear two sides.
    and said I can always go back to him if not happy.
    yup very nice guy and very good price, great job and I finally can see something at night from side windows.
    will recommand anyone who likes to tint.

Cheers

4% !!!!!
    Holy Crap

I have hear that 20 is ok to see out of. Not that it is legal in Vic

Peter "SLIXX"

yes 4 %.. I was always driving with my window down but now winter is coming I can't stand the cold anymore :'(

Wow my friend just got 5% and its very dark, he said his only looking for lights at night and he can't tell what colour the cars are... He said kerbs (reverse parking) are hard to judge and also thank god for reverse sensors...

He loves the look but i'll be happy with 15% on my fronts and 5% all rears but i think atm i've go 20-25% all round so not much gains visually.

5% is a bitch to see out of at night, my mate has it and 35% on his front windscreen (yes its highly illegal but amusing) and hasnt been busted for over 2 years now.

Wouldnt want to know what would happen if the vehicles had darker than legal (T35) tint and were involved (At Fault) in an accident... if a legal-eagle insurance assessor decided that the tint played a role in the accident... i'd assume nil cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast