User Tag List

Thread: Wheel Bearings HELP !!.... can they really charge that!!

1. Default Wheel Bearings HELP !!.... can they really charge that!!

Hey,

I need some advice, i have had a strange vibration coming from the front end of my 2004 mazda 3 (yeah i know its not a MPS, but you guys seem to know alot more than other forums) it comes in at around 60kms, its not in the steering wheel, more in the floor and seat on the drivers side, it continues on all the way up the speedo, it doesnt increase with speed, its just constant vibration..... so far i have replaced -
    - suspension all round
    - steering rack
    - drivers side engine mount
    - all 4 tyres
    - balanced all tyres more times than i care to remember

so after about 5 trips to a mechanic in the last 4 weeks they now say its coming from a dry wheel bearing, when they jacked the car up the wheel itself had no play in it but, they said just cause there's no play doesnt mean its not cactus!!

They said they looked at the following bits and they seemed "good"
    - CV joints (inner and outer)
    - Tie rod ends
    - disc brakes not warped

So i thought why not, i've replaced so much why not just keep going haha, so said "grab a quote" thinking oh it wont be that much, so if it works out that its not a wheel bearing my bank manager (read this as Girlfriend) wont keep yelling at me for spending more money on my car haha when i should be saving for our holiday

So the quote comes back $580, thats for one side!! i understand that the 2004 version, you have to replace the hub itself, you cant just press in a new bearing.
    So my question is, does that seem right??? it just seems really expensive to me

oh and on a side note, if you have an answer to my problem feel free to chime in, i would love to hear suggestions as i am almost at the end of my rope

Thanks Sorry if it seemed long winded

what's ya engine mount like ?

3. Default

They replaced the drivers side one, do you mean the rear one, or the passenger side one?

Okay been here before had an 04 SP23 that had the drivers sidewheel bearing gone everytime I'd turn i would get a woooh woooh kinda sound like the wheel was about to fall off. I decided to go to Mazda. Part alone quote for $300 not inlc labour. In the end only ended up being about $350, part was $225 and rest labour. So yeah it does seem highish but that was about 3 years ago. Goodluck my man!

5. Default

Cheers for that mate, im going to see a friend monday about it and see if he can do it cheaper.