User Tag List

Thread: bigger turbo question

Default bigger turbo question

Kind of curious as to to two things, whats the standard specs of the K04 and im interested in a larger turbo, but this was going to be considered a bit further down the track. Turns out though, friend of mine who's selling up a few parts has asked if i'd be interested in his spare one.

The reason im hesitant is because its a Garrett gt30/76 (originally) but he has changed the rear to a HKS 61 for a quicker spool because the 76 was too much lag for what he wanted.

Question being, how's it going to work out on the MPS motor? havent really heard of anyone running this size which makes me think twice about it as to how it'll work out. Failing that, how hard is it to get a 76 rear?

couple of things first, it's likely a non-mazda flanged turbo, this means you'll either need to get a custom made DP, or swap out the hotside for a mazda flanged hotside
    a GT3076 will hit full spool at ~3600-3700 rpm on a MPS motor, and it capable of making 400whp (300kw) with a decent "area under the curve" however, a GTX3071 will net the same power, with earlier spool and less lag... there is virtually no difference in top end grunt between the 2

haven't looked at it yet, cant remember how the exhaust side looks, it was a custom set up so i have no idea what it looks like. But i'd say a 61 rear is going to be way small and it'll spool up quite quickly, it was rated for 450hp. Just more of a curiosity if anyone has used this sized set up. The idea was to get a gtx30/76 someday.
    Last edited by Devil MPS; 10-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.

I'm going to change completely what I said.

I just remembered that Garrett makes HKS - so started searching around, and I am confused as to what you're mate thinks he has.

The 30/76 came with a .61 rear housing.

You can swap down to a .50 rear housing, and that a 30/71.

The 200sx guys seem to thik the 30/76 is a bit laggy, and a guy in this thread running one on a Rb25 said it didn't hit boost till 3500rpm - which is pretty high, and also is a 6cyl motor with higher flow.

So maybe confirm what rear he has on it and we can go from there.....but IMO, there is nothing worse than a laggy turbo - yeh it gets numbers - but a fun street car it does not make.

Keep in mind, you may stll have issues with dump flange, turbo orientation, and need custom lines.....it would want to be a cheap turbo.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/190451...-users-sr.html
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 10-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.

i dont know about 3600rpm full boost on the GT3076, with my 3071 i get full boost round 3700rpm (starts boosting around 2700rpm)

As I said - that was on an rb25 - which is a 2.5 litre twin cam 6cyl

Like I said, curiosity stages, can't even remember what it looks like. He's pretty sure it's got a HKS 61 rear on it but it's been a while since we've been swapping bits and pieces he's trying to remember what was put on. no idea which series but it was sourced from Micks performance, he's the guy that used to do his work.

Im only going to use it if it fits or little work needs to be done, otherwise I'll just wait until I'm ready to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    Like I said, curiosity stages, can't even remember what it looks like. He's pretty sure it's got a HKS 61 rear on it but it's been a while since we've been swapping bits and pieces he's trying to remember what was put on. no idea which series but it was sourced from Micks performance, he's the guy that used to do his work.

Im only going to use it if it fits or little work needs to be done, otherwise I'll just wait until I'm ready to upgrade
    You will need (most likely)
    CPe exhaust manifold with V band turbo side
    CPe 4" TIP
    ATP V band down pipe
    Custom water and oil lines
    optional:
    Better EBCS
    EWG to suit the CPe mani
    Built engine

That will work