User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" RIMS on Mazda 6 MPS

1. Default 20" RIMS on Mazda 6 MPS

Hey people,

my girlfriend recently bought a 2005 Mazda 6 MPS and is looking to upgrade the wheels. Whilst shopping around for her car, we test drove a different 2005 MPS that was running 20" wheels with no problems in that the tyres didn't scrape and the car tracked fine.

In our hunt for some suitable wheels we've learnt that the MPS 6's require a very high offset rim, which drastically reduces wheel options.

As such I'm interested to hear from anybody that is currently running 20" rims. I'd like to know information such as:

-wheel dimensions? (20x7.5? 20x8? 20x8.5?)
    -wheel offset?
    -tyre dimensions?
    -did you need to roll the guards?
    -is your car lowered?
    -do your tyres ever scrape?
    -stock suspension or coilovers?

From what I've read thus far I expect that 20x8" rims with an offset of 45 would probably be fine provided the guards were rolled, but I'm not sure about 20x8.5" rims. As such I'd like to hear about anybody else's 20" wheel setups and whether they encountered any issues or not.

Thanks!

siiick.

the above is a bit harsh, but valid
    20's seem a bit excessive to me.. but each to their own

a 20x8+45-50 is about right for what you'll want, the biggest issue is that you'll have to run 30 (or 35 if you go 215/35/20) series tyres to keep the speedo reasonably accurate, this COULD affect ride quality quite badly

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

wheel/tyre calculator: Online Wheel & Tyre Fitment calculator. Offset, Tyre stretch and Rolling Radius calculator
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

20"s are possible, but for a daily drive you might find the novelty wears off rather quickly, especially if you plan on firming up the suspension also.

I have seen a lot a 6's with the cx9 wheels, 20x7.5 and +45 offset I think. Works out to be a pretty good fit and don't look to bad.

6. Default

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Ideally I'd prefer her to be able to run a tyre 35 deep. The other issue is load bearing, as apparently once you get down to such low profiles most tyres don't meet the loading bearing requirements for the MPS 6 (according to the guy from Bob Jane anyway. I think he said the load bearing requirement was 95. Sound right?)

She's looking at some 20x8" wheels with 45 offset. The wheels come with either 225/35/20 or 245/35/20 tyres. The 225/35/20 would obviously be the smarter option.

Just looking at the CX-9 wheels, i.e. 20x7.5", according to redbook they come fitted with 245/50/20 tyres. Are the MPS 6's getting away with these tyres, which seem quite wide and deep, or are they putting lower profile tyres on instead?

Also, attached is an image of the MPS 6 with the 20" rims that we test drove. We both think the 20's look great, so she's definitely keen to persevere and find some 20's that suit her needs. Unfortunately I cannot remember the tyre size that was fitted to this MPS. I'm pretty sure they were 225 wide, but I don't remember the depth. I also wish I need the depth of the rims. I expect they are 20x8.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPS 6 with 20 inch wheels.jpg 
Views:	4959 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	10965

Name:	20 inch Vertini wheels.jpg 
Views:	1832 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	10966

EDIT: actually I just looked up those rims, they are Vertini Fairladys, and the 20" come in 20x8.5", 20x9.5", 20x10" and 20x10.5".

So the MPS 6 in the pics would almost certainly be running the 20x8.5". In any case, it's good to know that these 20x8.5" fit ok under rolled guards.

http://www.vertiniwheels.com/images/...y/fairlady.htm
    Last edited by JonBOY26; 08-05-2012 at 03:06 PM.

You mean this:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336453243.141393.jpg 
Views:	3424 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	10967

If it wasn't so high and some more low it would look ok.
    I have had a brand new set of cx9's sitting in my shed for close to 12 months, got 225/35 series Tyres for them just haven't got around to test fitting as I have a brand new set of GEN II wheels as well which I'm going to fit first and see how they look. (rx8 gt colour)

9. Default

So is that the MPS 6 with CX-9 20's sitting on stock suspension?

Looks stock height to me

Stock height.
    I saw in new Mazda 6 the other week with cx9's dropped on it's guts and it looked very nice. Wheels sat slightly up inside the guards, pretty tuff looking

12. Default

Thanks. If that's stock height then my girlfriend is definitely going to want to lower her car after putting on the 20's. She'll have to wait until we move house though because our current driveway is not 'lowered' friendly.

I had kings super lows on the rear and had no issues with cx9 rims if it helps

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464110.845362.jpg 
Views:	2867 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	10969

Sent from my iPhone

dont know if this is going to help but i had those wheels on my SP23, had a 45 offset on them, 215/35/20, rolled guards and slightly pulled with -1 camber

Started with king springs and then swapped to BC BR coilovers on lowest settings. Very little scrubbing, handled like shit, steering was heavy, but it wasn't a fast car to begin with, hence i sold everything except suspension and got a car that performs and handles.

my advice, dont destroy a perfectly good car designed to do what many people pay a lot of money for.

my old SP23

with coilovers (only pic i have sold it not long after this)

IMO thats a truly horrible design of wheel anyway. But I prefer lightweight wheels designed with performance in mind - hate 'bling'. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

If its what floats your missus' boat go for it :-)
    It might be a but bumpy though

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I've been rolling on CX-9 20s on my MPS6 for 2 years now,
    fittied with Tein super street coilovers,
    It's not harsh, it's daily driven and the novelty hasn't worn off yet.
    My advice, get good adjustable suspension, when set up correctly it's no
    harsher than running 18" wheels on a MPS6. FACT
    Cheers Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 12Lead View Post
    I've been rolling on CX-9 20s on my MPS6 for 2 years now,
    fittied with Tein super street coilovers,
    It's not harsh, it's daily driven and the novelty hasn't worn off yet.
    My advice, get good adjustable suspension, when set up correctly it's no
    harsher than running 18" wheels on a MPS6. FACT
    Cheers Todd
    ... I've seen this car in the flesh, looks the goods, and handles corners as well as any other 6 on cruises.

There are valid reasons going for 17's as well as 20's. Either way, it's your car, just show us some pics or there'll be trouble
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    I had kings super lows on the rear and had no issues with cx9 rims if it helps

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464110.845362.jpg 
Views:	2867 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	10969

Sent from my iPhone
    I like your current wheels better than the CX9 wheels, probably alot lighter too
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    I like your current wheels better than the CX9 wheels, probably alot lighter too
    Cheers, thanks for that :-)
    Yeah, that's the reason I changed. They weigh in at 7.9kg, considering they are an 8.5" rim, they're not too bad.

Am toying around with thoughts of respraying... I think as soon as there is a gutter rash I might do it! They are just too perfect to touch at present :-(

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast