User Tag List

Thread: Push Button Start & Keyless Entry

Default Push Button Start & Keyless Entry

Ok I know push button start can be seen as a bit wanky but I am being seriously tempted by this system

RFID Smart Keyless Entry with Push Button Start - Auto Lock/Unlock Car Promixity | eBay

It's the kind where your car unlocks itself as you approach and then you use the push button to start the key without needing the key in the ignition (instead of the terrible, turn the key all the way and then hit a button kind)

Anyone ever heard of somebody installing something like this in the MPS? I'm not terrible with a soldering iron but I'm not really comfortable just hacking into wires under my dash blindly in the hope of getting something like this installed. Also don't know what security wizardry is already in the car/key and how they would interact.

Just get a Gen II!

I am skeptical of the proximity unlock feature, I like locking/unlocking to be a positive action from me.

Haha should have known somebody would suggest that. Did some more digging and many systems want you to leave a cut off key to disable steering column lock and stick a chip into car for the immobilizer which sounds like a terrible idea. All a thief would need to do is break a window then use pliers to turn the shortened key.... Might look into this more but key issues ate how to get around immobilizer and steering lock without making the cat seriously easy to steal!

Provided the RFID hardware is of a reasonable quality I can't see an issue.

RFID systems have been used in building services and security systems for years so the tech is pretty proven

Can the RFID range sensitivity be adjusted in that system? You wouldn't want it to unlock the car from 10m away, just as you wouldn't want to have to do laps close to the car or get on the bonnet to unlock it lol

*remembers the Top Gear US muscle car story where Jeremy was able to open, start, and drive Hammond's Dodge Challenger away while Hammond was sitting in a roadside diner because the proximity detector on the car was reading the key from too far away *

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Well the main issue with RFID is somebody skimming the value off you. Yes this could happen, but it could happen with your credit card too (assuming you have the new touch payment thingy in your card). However the tech is probably rare enough that not many car thieves are going to be running around with RFID skimming and replication stuff. Why would they bother for the 1 or two cars that it may work on?

Yeah I don't think the car can be started unless you are basically sitting in the car. Either it was a really crappy system or Top Gear may have taken a slight comedic licence with the Dodge.

Anybody actually know what the deal with immobilizer is with the 6 MPS? I assume it has one however I have a key for the car which doesn't have the keyless entry stuff and I doesn't really seem to have a place to hide a chip in it so I'm really not sure. If we don't have one or if we do and the range is sufficient to reach my pants pocket when in the drivers seat I may continue to look into this. I'd need to find out how to bypass the steering column ignition lock (although I found you can drill a hole, remove a spring and it's disabled... not sure if I like that)

If I need to chop up a key and basically bypass all my own security sadly I will place this idea in the trash heap.