User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CEL came on :( help

Default CEL came on :( help

Hi guys, CEL came on tonite after a refuel at a 7-11 petrol station.. first time i've ever put petrol in at 7-11, normally refuel at shell or BP.. what should I be doing to clear it??

and is it still ok for me to drive around or better to get it fixed b4 anything???

Cheers,

Hey VR Brother. I'm in QLD, so can't help you, but perhaps you have bad fuel.

Shout out to Sydneysiders, this guy needs a CEL read.

Anyone can assist?

I think it's bad fuel too.. bcoz I've never had any problems before.. just first time refueling at 7-11 coz was really low on fuel

Arden, come help me! xD

and is it safe to drive around? I need to get home lol..

Guessing its just crap fuel... hard to tell without reading the CEL, unfortunately I've had a few too many drinks, so can't come out and check for you

Did you put in 91?

I would say drive it gently and SHOULD be OK... where abouts are you based, might be able to come around tomorrow...

i put in 98.. I just drove home as how I'd drive normally and it didn't seem to have any problems..

I'm around parramatta sarcastic, just rang a mechanic friend and he advised me to pull the negative from the battery and see if that will get rid of the CEL, if not then I'll need to see what the code is..

you could clear it by battery reset but you would not know what cel it is..

yea I would want to know what it is before clearing it.. so gonna take it to the mechanic first thing.

just went to a local mechanic. the code was o2 sensor too lean?? I had that cleared and drove for 2km and it came back on again... this is annoying.. any suggestions? would putting stock airbox and TIP back on help?..

That sounds like the P2096 code that some people are getting, it could be that you have a leak after the MAF and that is why its triggering the code, that is what happened to me once. I have heard that some codes can come up if the fuel cap is not put back on properly tight you may want to check that also.

Do you have a downpipe on the car?

Hi jnt, the only mods I have is SURE sidewinder (TIP) and the SURE Aeros, no downpipe. When you say there might be a leak after the MAF sensor would that affect boost aswell? because after I've gotten those 2 things put in I've started to notice that boost is very weak and performance wise it doesn't feel right..

I haven't checked the fuel cap yet.. but will do that later.

Hi, I would check out your TIP and SRI install, check that the MAF is not leaking unmetered air into the SRI (it has been known for the O ring on there to break and let unmetered air leak in, also check your clamps and hoses along the install, in my situation it was the crank case vent hose the fitting was not tight at the SRI and that was causing my CEL.

If boost is not comming up to where it should be it may be as a result of the CEL and the engine management system is managing the situation, it has been known that the P2096 CEL will cause the car to run rich, or it may be a boost leak and you can check all your clamps and tighten if required.

all the best hope you can sort it out. Cheers.
    GENII 2009 MPS LUX

Parting Out

the only thing I know how to do is to check the fuel cap .. I would have no idea how to if air is leaking.. but the only thing I hope is that the O2 sensors are not blown up! *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by Initial DJ View Post

Arden, come help me! xD
    we'll see if i can get it sorted out for you 2morrow.

BTW, no charge on clearing the CEL!hahahaah

No CEL so far after 30km had Arden clean the MAF sensor for me and reset ECU (which TH didn't do, coz when I hopped into the car when the mods were put in by TH, the radio weren't resetted)

thanks Arden

P.S CEL code was P2096 btw..

Cool, hope it stays away. P2096 is a PITA!

happy to help mate.

fingers crossed that it never comes back

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

yea finger's crossed! won't know till maybe another few refills I guess.

I had a P2096 code for yonks but I have an aftermarket DP so I assumed it was just caused by that. I have a feeling my O2 sensor was fouled and it eventually just cleared itself after Tunehouse had applied several different fixes that didn't do anything.

Pain in the ass that code was, but once it went away it didn't come back.

Reedy, when I got my SRI and TIP installed by TH I felt there was a lost of boost/power, I started noticing when I WOT and I see the revs going up to 4-5k but boost is not even half way and not holding boost at all. That gave me a sense that something must be wrong?? but at that time no CEL or anything yet until a few days ago when I refueled. I think the reason was when TH put the parts in for me, they didn't reset my ECU and it probably still thinks I've got the stock parts in... and hence the P2096 CEL.. I could be wrong, but that's just my wild guess with limited knowledge in mechanical side of things..

P.S. Car pulls like a train now tho after arden cleaned the MAF sensor and resetted ECU
    Last edited by Initial DJ; 08-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast