User Tag List

Thread: 2nd gear popping out

Default 2nd gear popping out

Hi guys, my 3 mps is popping out of 2nd gear when I go around corners...does anybody else have this problem and is there a fix?

Cheers

do you have an aftermarket rear engine mount? I noticed it popping out of gears when I braked going down a steep hill, presumably from the movement of the engine/gearbox

Yep..MRT REM - definately noticed it alot more after having it fitted. It only happens when decelerating back through the gears...it is fine going up the gears.

Hope it's not a sign of anything sinister as this car is the most fun car I've ever had

Wonder if a set of Sure anchors or any other brand shifter bushes would fix this by eliminating movement in the shifter cage?

I've only every had it pop out of gear once and that was in first gear when the car decided to axle tramp like a bitch... It may be the momentum of the motor shifting forwards under braking and cornering, that 'helps' the gearing arm (where you put the short shift plate) move enough that it comes out of gear?

Are you running a short shifting plate or is it factory, are you on the accelerator when it happens or are your feet clear of the pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Wonder if a set of Sure anchors or any other brand shifter bushes would fix this by eliminating movement in the shifter cage?
    Doubt it, the cage barely moves as it is, after i put sure anchors in i could hardly feel a difference, most of the slack is still within the gear stick movement and not the stock rubber bushes that attach the unit the car .
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Least it popped out and not crunched! I crunched today for some really odd reason, WOT 2nd gear, clutch in, 3rd gear, clutch halfway out and crunch... Ne ideas?? This is only happened twice since i've owned the car for the last 2 and a half years. Sorry to steal thread!

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    Least it popped out and not crunched! I crunched today for some really odd reason, WOT 2nd gear, clutch in, 3rd gear, clutch halfway out and crunch... Ne ideas?? This is only happened twice since i've owned the car for the last 2 and a half years. Sorry to steal thread!
    This also happens to me occasionally as well.

From what I understand it could be the crappy factory engine mount having too much give and causing 2nd-3rd gear dramas.

Hmmmm... Yea seriously, the shift feel on these cars are absolutely shit i've driven a few cars and my mates new corolla has a even better solid feel! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    This also happens to me occasionally as well.

From what I understand it could be the crappy factory engine mount having too much give and causing 2nd-3rd gear dramas.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Too much movement or incorrect placement of the mounts.