User Tag List

Thread: Anyone know anything about CEL Code P0012?

Default Anyone know anything about CEL Code P0012?

Hi Guys,

First post, new member! Seeking a little bit of advice, experience, or anything else you have to offer. Appologies in advanced for the short essay.
    But first, a little bit of a back story i guess is needed!

Yesterday, i picked up my '07 MPS3 from an AHG Subaru dealership here in Perth. It's done 97k kms, cosmic blue, and pretty tidy! Has a full service history, including logbook. Only one previous owner, to which they put on an aftermarket exhaust, cold-air intake and GFB BOV. Although slightly loud due to the exhaust, the can runs well and comes on boost nicely. Lots of torque low down and over all it's running great.

When i took it for a test drive last week, it had thrown an orange CEL. The dealer assured me it was because of the aftermarket intake/exhaust and there was nothing to worry about. I have had this issue before on a previous car, so it seems perfectly plausible! Note, the car was driving perfectly on the test drive.

On tuesday, before i was due to pick it up they took it to the AHG Mazda servicing department/mechanics just to double check for me on the CEL. They had a look and said all was okay and it was just because of the exhaust/intake mods, they cleared the CEL.

Picked up the car yesterday afternoon, with the cleared CEL. Was driving perfectly, about 20kms later the orange CEL came back on. This didn't effect the drive/performance at all though.
    I contacted a mate of mine (Mad_Aussie on these forums) who's got an ODB reader and we plugged it in tonight to check the code and see if what the dealer was telling was correct - it read P0012, intake camshaft over retarded.

Just after some info on what this means and how it is effecting the vehicle? Have you had this happen, if so what was your solution?
    I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what they say, but it's my understanding that this can be a major issue relating to the VVT?

Note, the car is still driving perfectly fine.

Cheers,
    Kyle.

TL;DR

· CEL Code P0012 - Intake Camshaft over retarded
    · 2007 Mazda 3 MPS, Purchased from dealership 1 day ago
    · Car is still driving fine, making boost, no odd noises or strange signs
    · Code checked on UltraGauge ODB Reader

Hi Kyle, here is some infor on the P0012 CEL that I got from a manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DTC0012 info.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	10930  

Thanks for that, appreciated!

Would is be safe to drive it back to the dealership? Or do i need to get it on a tow truck? It's 30kms away.
    It's driving fine, but from my research the P0012 code is fairly serious.

Just took it down to Parklands Mazda, they checked it out and came up with the same engine code as we did using the ultraguage.
    They agreed it was odd because the car is running fine and suggested perhaps a dirty/faulty sensor? They turned the light off again, but it popped back on about 15kms later.

I've tried calling my AHG dealership about 4 times today and can't get through, very frustrating.

I have heard people discussing carbon buildups in the intake manifold, may be a related issue?

Could be possible yeah, i'm leaning towards some sort of sensor issue as once the code is cleared, it doesn't come back on straight away. So a build up of something makes a little sense!
    Something to do with a dirty VVT Solenoid perhaps? Anyone cleaned these before with success?

7. Default

Hi,
    I've had no experience with this code however I thought I would add my two cents. All vehicles sold by a licensed dealer should come with a warranty from defects.

From My rights and responsibilities | RAC WA » Motoring » Motoring advice » Buying a car » My rights and responsibilities
    "For vehicles which are covered by the statutory warranty a licensed dealer is obliged to fix defects which render or are likely to render the vehicle unroadworthy or unserviceable, whether or not that defect existed at the time of sale. As a guide, if a defect renders the vehicle unusable then it is likely that the car is unserviceable and the dealer should fix it. In addition any defect which is likely to incur a defect notice (formerly a red or yellow sticker) is also a defect which should be fixed under warranty.

There are some exceptions."

My concern would be if this engine light is benign and you are aware of the what if a serious light is displayed and you assume its benign but damages the car. I would contact the dealer and push to get the issue corrected before the warranty runs out.

Got in contact with the dealer today and they are going to give me a call on monday to sort it out. I won't be stopping with them until it's fixed properly!
    My UltraGauge ODB Reader arrived today so i can check the code when it pops back up to make sure it's nothing else

Vehicle is currently at the dealership, i'll let you know how it goes

Best of luck with it dude.. Eager to go on a cruise with ya!

Picked it up from the dealership this morning. Problem was with the camshaft actuator, they replaced the it along with the timing chain and tensioner.
    All is good now

They also fixed an annoying issue i was having with the rear seatbelt sensors.

yay happy days! no get a AP and tune that shiznit

time4skids

Also Kyool, how much did the stealership charge for that? Obviously it was under warranty, but did they give you a figure that it was worth?

Time for wash, polish, wax and sit in carport 90% of the time haha.

So after a little drive tonight i popped another CEL, sigh!

It's reading as a P0421 which relates to the cat temperature not getting warm enough, afaik? Anyway, it's a pointless code haha so i flicked it off and we'll see if it returns. I was expecting something emissions based though due to the exhaust system i'm running - so we'll see what happens and go from here.

Just to follow up on this incase anyone else stumbled upon this and wants a resolution - i switched the CEL off and have seen no sign of it since. I put it down to either dirty fuel, or due to the days temperature (it was cold).