User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Koni's vs Bilstein's

Default Koni's vs Bilstein's

Hi all,

I'm looking for any feedback on shock absorbers. I'm tossing up between Koni or Bilstein. I already have Eibach Pro Kit springs so I'm looking for a good match.

Price isn't really a factor. I want what's best but for those who like to consider, this is what I have been quoted (parts only).

Koni
    Front $249 each
    Rear $175 each

Bilstein
    Front $305 each
    Rear $209 each

TK

I think you will need to be more specific as to which model of each brand you have in mind or have been quoted.

I too am interested in the results here.

if you can afford it, bilsteins all the way...

There is a great test where a reputable suspension guy in the US tests both Bilsteins and Konis on shock dynos etc, the results were not great for Konis, which had large variations between supposedly matched pairs, his biggest praise for the Bilstein is that its a simple design, that works very well, and are very consistently manufactured.

I will try and find it a bit later and post it up.

I have Koni FSD, love them, but probably not suited for you.
    However, I'd pick the Bilsteins if I was you.
    they would be more suited for how you use your car. street with occasional track

I have Koni FSD and Eibach Pro Spring combinations and the change from original was amazing

I paired these up with Whiteline Front and Rear Sway bars and the whole car feel really hooked up but comfortable as a daily driver

Never had Bilsteins but I heard that they are excellent and I guess I never went that option as the workshop installing them never offered them

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I have Koni FSD, love them, but probably not suited for you.
    However, I'd pick the Bilsteins if I was you.
    they would be more suited for how you use your car. street with occasional track
    While I have heard great things about the FSDs, I have also been told that are only really suitable for stock ride height.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

When I got mine, that's what the general opinion was, including those of Koni. Didn't bother me as I wanted to retain stock height.
    That opinion seems to have changed since.
    However, knowing how they work, I don't think you would get 100% of their benefit

I've had 2 sets of Koni yellows now, with the Mazdaspeed Spring kit (which are reportedly just a re-badged Eibach Pro Kit), the performance is brilliant.

That said, I'm going to give the Bilsteins a go next time, just to see the difference. I think at the end of the day, you'll end up with a high quality product going with either of these...

The Bilstein is supposed to be superior to the Koni,
    But everyone who uses the Bilstein in their Gen 2 says they raise the height a bit.
    Which would make me personally go with the Koni....

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    The Bilstein is supposed to be superior to the Koni,
    But everyone who uses the Bilstein in their Gen 2 says they raise the height a bit.
    Which would make me personally go with the Koni....
    B8's are designed for lowering purposes, B6's are standard ride height

Koni FSD apparently raise ride height by about 1cm, and are designed to work with standard springs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    B8's are designed for lowering purposes, B6's are standard ride height

Koni FSD apparently raise ride height by about 1cm, and are designed to work with standard springs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Well my Koni FSD and Eibach Pro sport package lowered my car about 1.2 inch

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

I have no experience here however, Greg from GSL says for this price point billies all the way.

Any shock is better than stock!

I've got bilstein b8 + prokit and drop was marginal on gen1 3. However, for the street its a sensible drop to make use of the available travel in suspension. so far the bilsteins have been fine on the street and on mountain runs. they are definately firm particularly on quick succession of bumps but are still comfortable.

They may be ok for the occasional track, but I seriously doubt you would be looking at these if you were primarily tracking

Everyone I have heard who runs the b8 with a lower spring says it brings the car back up very close to stock height.
    There are a tonne of threads about this happening in the US.
    Ask @luke 3mps he has them
    Last edited by Cton; 01-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Have a good search of MSF USA a couple of good threads ,re KONI FSD inc installation,and Bilstein B6 & B8,s

You can use KoniFSD and Eibach pro sport springs (lowers approx 0.70 inch front and 0.60 inch rears) . Koni FSD only with std springs will raise front approx 0.60inch due to longer piston travel, rears stay the same height .
    or Bilstein B6 with std springs ,
    If lowering car Koni will only warrant FSD with Eibach (german partner) as they have been tested together. FSD,s are designed for use with std oem spring rates.
    After much research i have Bilstein B8 and Eibach pro sport springs in transit from USA.
    Read Luke 3 mps thread re Bilstein B8 and King springs instalation and thoughts.
    It really comes back to what you want and or need to suit your style .
    Last edited by Oldhead; 01-05-2012 at 02:20 PM.

after installation on my car gen1 3 the ride height dropped, albeit marginally (5-10mm if i recall). so yes basically stock height. it definately didnt raise it for me however.

in any case this setup is street orientated where control over a variety of road conditions is required.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    after installation on my car gen1 3 the ride height dropped, albeit marginally (5-10mm if i recall). so yes basically stock height. it definately didnt raise it for me however.

in any case this setup is street orientated where control over a variety of road conditions is required.
    Agree 100% with the street orientation fact

I definitely had a 30-35mm drop when paired with the Eibach springs. My GenII now has a 13.5cm ride height

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast