User Tag List

Thread: Japanese TV show pits MX-5 against BRZ and FR-S at Twin Ring Motegi

Default Japanese TV show pits MX-5 against BRZ and FR-S at Twin Ring Motegi

Filed under: Convertible, Coupe, Japan, Videos, Mazda, Scion, Toyota

A Japanese motoring show, complete with titles in comic fonts, put three racing pilots behind the wheels of the Mazda MX-5 Miata, Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S (Toyota 86, in this case) for three laps of the 2.1-mile East Road Course at Twin Ring Motegi. Of course the segment producers know that putting the 167-horsepower roadster against the 200-hp coupes isn't exactly fair, so they gave the Mazda a small head start of about three grid positions.

Ex-sports car racer Takayuki Kinoshita handles the Mazda, former open-wheel pilot Naoki Hattori drives the BRZ, and former Le Mans-class winner Keiichi Tsuchiya gets fast and loose in the FR-S. The drivers offer copious on-track commentary, but it's in Japanese. That said, watching the MX-5 try to stay in front and watching Tsuchiya start drifting are universal gearhead languages. You'll find the action after the jump.Continue reading Japanese TV show pits MX-5 against BRZ and FR-S at Twin Ring Motegi
    Japanese TV show pits MX-5 against BRZ and FR-S at Twin Ring Motegi originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

I watch most of my motoring shows in Japanese. Video Option and Hot Version are awesome... Dori Dori and the guys are much better to watch than the Top Gear crowd.
    Cool clip, I'm pretty excited by the new 86.

All that struggle to beat an MX-5?

Like EVO magazines review says, the 86 sucks.

Stupid hypemobile that'll be overpriced, I'll stick with MPS, actually get grunt for your $.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    All that struggle to beat an MX-5?

Like EVO magazines review says, the 86 sucks.

Stupid hypemobile that'll be overpriced, I'll stick with MPS, actually get grunt for your $.
    Really? its not about grunt its about handling. If it was about grunt it wouldnt have a NA 2litre in it.....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Really? its not about grunt its about handling. If it was about grunt it wouldnt have a NA 2litre in it.....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    And watch it get beaten around corners and in a straight line by a RenaultSport Clio 200 Cup for if I'm not mistaken, less money.

The amount of hype around this thing, its as if its the new automotive messiah. Its not, its a Toyota, they're not renound for their great cars, the old AE86 was only made famous by a cartoon.

Its not online yet, but EVO mag issue 170's review says it all... "Why the new BRZ isn't good enough."

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 AM ----------

Here's a quote from the test in that issue... Subaru BRZ vs Mazda MX-5 vs RenaultSport Megane 265 Trophy vs Nissan 370Z track test.

'' so wanted the BRZ to deliver to make a stand forRWD but it misses the target by a mile . its not agile or adjustable on track and its not much fun either.

the MX5 would lap a little slower but it demonstrates perfectly that a modestly shod RWD can be hugely involving and entertaining . makes you wonder if the engnieers have even driven one . gutted ''
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Completely missed the point.
    It's designed to be a blank canvas like the ae86.
    Its the start of a return to the sports cars we used to have where the rest of the automotive world is investing in alternate energy. Its not been marketed as a powerful car at all. Clio sport is fwd so not going to be anywhere near as fun as this. Plus they look shit.

Wow there is one bad review out there lol. Someone has to go against the grain for some publicity.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

PErsonally I think it's fantasic they are making rear wheel cars again in that size. No longer do you need to buy a 15 year old Sylvia or a 1.8ton falcon to have some rear wheel fun at a decent price.

As Justin mentioned already, the world seems to be going eco/hybrids bla bla. This is going to be a fun car, a modders dream, it's good news IMO.

I see the BRZ/86 as basically bringing (legitimately) to the rest of the world what JDM has has been doing for years.

As Justin has said it's meant to be a solid basis for modding.

It's an interesting experiment. Whether it will pay off remains to be seen. It will be highly dependant on a number of factors, not the least of which being support from Toyota/Subaru and also big name tuners (the "if you built it they will come" theory)

Personally it's not for me. I'm past my days of hardcore tuning. I just don't have the time, money, or inclination to spend chasing it, nor am I prepared to put up with the "idiosyncrasies" of having hard-tuned cars. That's just me though and probably why this car isn't aimed at people like me. Rather it's aimed at people like me 10 years ago

EDIT: Speak of the devil: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/off-t...tml#post213771
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 01-05-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I'm hoping that the 86 is so popular that other companys are forced
    to jump on the bandwagon, Nissan and Mazda come to mind.
    Cheers Todd

It's a shame they came in N/As tho, i'm looking forward to the STI or the TRD spec of this beast. And as the others have already said, it's build as a blank canvas for modifiers for abit of fun. Kinda bringing back the old days of the 180s, S13, S14, S15 etc etc. If the TRD spec is any good i would seriously consider selling the MPS and buying one myself. Manufacturers need to realise that modification for us is not a curse, but a passion and to show your personality. I think new "Mazda" doesn't have that in mind at all, don't get me wrong, i still like my MPS but id rather have fun going side ways than understeering. I'd call on Mazda for their next move after the GT-86 goes on sale. Rest assured i will be going for a test drive the moment it comes out to grasp my own opinion. As for the EVO magazine, its actually not a bad idea to point out the pros and cons of the car, just like every car has its bad points. Even if it is for abit of publicity. But at the end of the day, haters gonna hate.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can