User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front indicator globes

I'll post some pics Monday evening of the DRL's and indicators.... hopefully. They reckon it will just be a day job to replace the grille - but that depends on whether they find any damage behind the bumper when they take it off.....

The Philips are the bomb - same as what's on Skodas. Not cheap either!

Audi and Merc use Hella - but damn they're expensive. The ones I bought are Hella copies and surely not as bright, but the real deal costs $400+!!

Well this morning I installed and wired up the control module for the DRLs just to make sure that everything is working before I get the panel beater to attach the lights tomorrow and run the wires to the engine compartment. I attached the module to the top of the fuse box in the engine bay, connected othe other wires for power and connected the lead to the parker light so that the module knows when to turn the DRLs off and on. When the parkers/headlights are on, a blue light comes on the bottom of the control module, even with the module mounted you can see that its on, and the DRLs are off. When you turn the headlights off, the blue light goes out and the DRLs come on. When you turn the engine off, if the headlights are on and if you have the set to auto they or course turn off and the DRLs come on for about 30 seconds...... if you are outside and its light, I am guessing they just stay on for 30 seconds. Will test this tomorrow.

Anyway, here are some pics - of course the DRLs are not mounted, I just put them where I want them to go. You can also see the LED indicator lights as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlights Off - Indiciator.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	10936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlights On.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	10937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Indicator.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	10938  

Lookin good Mikey. Make mine look like Christmas tree lights. Their not too blue which is a good thing. Just the right kind of white. The whole setup is quite impressive. I'm assuming you had to tap into the Headlight cables as when as the Parker's?

Edit: didn't read your post as well as I should have. Do just tap into the parkers. Good system. I'd have to wire in another relay to have the same affect. But I like having my Parker's and DRL's on together

Did you know, in Canada, they swap the Parker fitting for a h4 bulb which acts as a DRL ( legal requirement over there)
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 06-05-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Lookin good Mikey. Make mine look like Christmas tree lights. Their not too blue which is a good thing. Just the right kind of white. The whole setup is quite impressive. I'm assuming you had to tap into the Headlight cables as when as the Parker's?

Edit: didn't read your post as well as I should have. Do just tap into the parkers. Good system. I'd have to wire in another relay to have the same affect. But I like having my Parker's and DRL's on together

Did you know, in Canada, they swap the Parker fitting for a h4 bulb which acts as a DRL ( legal requirement over there)
    Cool.... I read somewhere that in Canada they had them. Guess that one day we will have them here too.

Well the grille was replaced today, thankfully no other damage and the DRLs have been mounted. They actually mounted them in behind the grille on a metal bar that runs across the front of the car - a lot more secure that where I though that they would be put. When they are not on, you can not really see them. Am happy with the job that they did. Now all I need is for my new number plate to arrive.

Here are some pics of the finished item. They headlights and parkers are not on, they are only reflecting the flash of the camera. As I mentioned, they only light up when the lights are not on. They's be too bright to have on with the headlights plus I have my foggies on at night too but they are LED as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	10954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	10955  

Wow they put them pretty close together huh?

There is an ADR requirement for placement of these, but that's probably not what you want to hear right now...

Its tough placement on the GenII.
    I'd agree with Smokey, a little close together. But, they seem very effective, and I like that they've mounted them on the metal bar.

Yeah I thought that too.... but at least they are proper DRL's - i.e. they turn off when the headlights are on. There are so many cars on the road today with factory DRL's - Audi, Mercedes, Holden HSV's, Hyundais etc that I have seen driving around with the headlights on and the DRL's and reading the ADR - a DRL is meant to turn off when the headlights come on. I guess I'll see how it goes, as Brad says, placement on the Gen II is not the easiest and I really don't fancy pulling the bumper bar off to move them. I guess in he dark of the garage they look pretty bright but out in the daylight they are not as bright. Ohhh and not mention the number of cars that have HID conversion kits in them that really shouldn't as they are lacking the proper lenses, levelling system and washers......
    Last edited by MikeyACT; 07-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.

yeh i got ya - like i said, i had a set of philips copy's on my stagea - they were pretty bright, i was happy with them - but i sold the car to a guy in SA and when he took the car through regency (inspection) they defected the DRLs, amongst other things......

There is an ADR that says they have to be a certain distance apart, and height from the ground.

Here are the pics as promised before - i'll try find the link from ebay purchase history for anyone interested

EDIT: ebay link of the ones i purchased

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3W-SMD-70...item4602f7a557

Last edited by SMOKEY; 07-05-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Cool pics. Mine seem so bright in my pics but they don't really look like that. Must be the way I took the pics. I get people high beaming me when I just have my headlights on at night (not much I can do about that one). Occasionally I'll high beam them back just so they know I didn't have them on high beam. I'll see what happens during the day with the drls on. If people signal complaint I'll do something about it.
    Last edited by MikeyACT; 07-05-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Jeez I love Stagea's actually any sporting wagon. The Autecs?? was my fav.

I had visions of removing my foglights altogether and putting DRL's in their place. But it didn't pass the design phase (wife said "uh..NO!") Probably for the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12