User Tag List

Thread: Factory Mazda Alaram - randomly going off?

1. Default Factory Mazda Alaram - randomly going off?

Hi Guys,

I noticed this morning when i went to unlock my car and drive to work the usual 'beep beep' was not there - As i drove to work i noticed the alarm was going off as i was driving? I pulled over, locked and unlocked the car - still going off?

I parked at work locked doors and still going.. i went to the mazda alarm booklet and it says to turn the key from acc to on 20 times to disable.. tried but no luck..

I popped the bonnet and it stopped? went to close it and the alarm was set off by the small knock of closing

I then popped it again leaving it in the closed but able to open position and alarm has stopped -

also when locking the 'beep' is back...?

any ideas whats going on here ?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere in the system, possibly the bonnet switch.

3. Default

so it seems to be that little metal thing that compresses when closed (bonnet switch?)

when i slightly press it it sets the alarm off - any suggestions how to fix? or get a professional to check it out ?

this happened once to me before - alarm went off randomly in the garage and going off whilst driving (wtf?!)
    so far, ive ignored the problem. the car still locks but doesnt chirp anymore when i lock or unlock it. at times it would chirp again for a few days then stops working.

apparently the clamps provided for the alarm kit is crappy (doesnt make good connection). maybe try solder them instead

5. Default

is there an easy way to disable the alarm until i can get to the mechanic? getting annoying

I could go have a look at mine but I'm fairly sure that bonnet switch is activated by the bonnet going up and releasing pressure from the switch and allowing the circuit to close.

So based on that, when the circuit is open, the alarm thinks all is well - so just disconnect the switch and it should permanently hold the circuit open.

You should check the connections at the body control unit, which is located in the passenger seat foot well.

The Mazda alarm kit that comes as an accessories is fitted with vamp clamps to the wires that lead out of the body control ecu, which are prone to coming loose overtime due to car vibrations.

Is that what those spliced in wires are? I saw this when I was pulling a fuse last weekend - made me worry the previous owner had been doing some wiring which is always a worry - but you're saying this was done by the dealer? (I have Mazda alarm too).

If so, that's shocking! Not even an attempt to disguise the wiring. I've heard the alarm is fairly useless in volume output but easily identifiable wiring makes the whole exercise pointless!

The Mazda alarm comes with the wiretaps for the install, its not the dealer.

The bonnet pin switch is height adjustable, maybe just play around with the height a bit and see if that helps.

By 'dealer' I'm referring to any dealer as I know its a dealer fitted option.

Thats pretty shameful. I had a top of the line viper pager alarm fitted to one of my cars by a back yard installer. After months of putting down flat batteries to infrequent use of the car, i took the car to an authorized viper installer. The main relay was wired up in reverse meaning when the alarm was 'activated' it actually wasn't even armed, and all it did was cause a massive drain on my battery as it was hard wired (and unfused!!).

The guy was appalled at the job the previous installer did, proceeded to hot wire my car in 30sec flat - and I'll never forget his words 'an alarm is only ever as good as the installation'. Was a costly lesson as it all had to come out and get re-wired.

I will be hiding getting that Mazda alarm wiring - soldering and shrink wrapping, running conduit over the loom and electrical taping the whole thing. Tsk Tsk.

I have one of these to install in my car, I will also be going with the solder option, I have never been a fan of wiretaps.

12. Default

so is the area that requires soldering where the wire meets the bonnet switch? - sorry absolute newbie here

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    You should check the connections at the body control unit, which is located in the passenger seat foot well.

The Mazda alarm kit that comes as an accessories is fitted with vamp clamps to the wires that lead out of the body control ecu, which are prone to coming loose overtime due to car vibrations.
    Or is it what 'mazda6mps' is referring to

13. Default

i just unbolted the bonnet switch - the issue occurs when the plate is being grounded - ive now stuck it on the side of the airbox - is is safe not having a ground point now?

14. Default

Get rid of the vamp clips, solder all connections, shrink wrap, etc.