User Tag List

Thread: HID Kit, Canbus compatible or not?

1. Default HID Kit, Canbus compatible or not?

So a hefty tax return is burning an ever bigger hole my pocket and the first simple mods are beginning.

Looking at replacing my Stock halogens for a 6000k H7 Hid replacement, but do i need to buy an kit with canbus compatible ballasts?

What kit would you recommend?

No, most kits are a simple case of Plug and Play, the factory harness pugs into the ballast pack, and the ballast pack then powers the HID bulb , but bear in mind that these are also illegal to fit to a non HID equipped car, as the law states that Xenons require self levelling motors and headlight washers.

Avoid cheap and nasty kits off ebay, they have rubbish ballasts and dodgy globes.

3. Default

Its is unfortunate about the legal situation bu t suppose you have to ask the question of what is the likeliness off actually being pulled up and whats the fine lol.

You might be asked for a roady, I know my mate was.

In qld I read the fine was $40. Hardly a discouragement.

In Vic they are pretty nazi on it. HID fogs on in built up areas would get you pulled pretty quick. Plus its 3 demerit points and $250 fine. A cop in a bad mood would certainly let you have it if he saw your fogs blazing like the sun.

If you want the look, my advice would be get LED replacement globes. Far less offensive.

If you want performance by all means go HIDs but keep em for back roads only. That's my plan.

I have no idea why I thought you were asking about fog lights. My bad. I'll leave it there for reference.

That being said, absolute worst case scenario is that at night you meet an unhappy constable and they issue a major defect as it relates to lighting, and you go home in a flat bed truck. But you would be terribly unlucky.

I have fitted HIDs to my past few cars, so long as you have a projector housing - which you do - your chances of being pinged are small.

If you want a decent hid kit for the low beams check out www.theretrofitsource.com and look at the morimoto kits. High quality globes and digital slim ballasts. I recommend the 5300k for best output/appearance.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 24-04-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Do it.
    I've been driving around for 2+years with no defects. (and you should see my cars) They are attention grabbers to say the least.
    Don't drive like a tool and they'll tend to leave you alone.

they are illegal without levellers because they blind other drivers oncoming at night. It may not affect you but older drivers etc wouldnt be able to see. I know ive had a few moments before when I wore glasses.
    i wouldnt do it for this reason alone, regardless of fines, but hey, maybe im just thoughtful of other drivers.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

9. Default

All valid points and at present i am just tossing up on the idea of upgrading to HID, but can anyone answer the original question?

Is the 2006 BK Mazda 3 MPS canbus?

I thought I had answered that already

11. Default

I thought I had answered that already
    Apologies Matt, just had a lapse of concentration.

"If all else fails,Stop,Take deep Breath and Start Over"