User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPS 3 v 6 - How do they compare?

1. Default MPS 3 v 6 - How do they compare?

Long time lurker, first time contributor here.
    I will be in the market for another car in the coming months and the MPS vehicles have taken my fancy, mainly for their understated looks, heavily optioned for the price compared to other options and my parents have had a number of Mazdas throughout the years that have always been very reliable.

Personally, I'd not too fussed whether I end up with a hatch or a sedan, so that doesn't automatically put one of the vehicles above another. What I'm looking for is a comfortable vehicle that I can have fun in and keep for a number of years without worrying too much about reliability.

The vehicles I would be looking at all seem to have around 100,000km (2005 and 2006 models), and I've just come across a few threads talking about clutch, turbo and other expensive item replacements for the 6.

Does the 6 have more chance of big dollar failures than the 3?

What I'm really looking for, is one more reliable and better value than the other when it comes to day to day maintenance or the fact that both vehicles are very similar besides the drive train and body shape mean they suffer the same issues?

I know this is a pretty open question, I'm just trying to not end up with a car that is barely driven but has the chance of costs that will leave me with a sour taste in my mouth.
    Thanks.

They are two very different cars. Normally a test drive of both is enough to make up people's mind either way.

Mechanically speaking there's not much in it. The suspension in the 6 is a little more complicated (eg rear sway bar), but the AWD is pretty reliable

Engine wise there's nothing in it really. Clutch feel is quite different between the two as is launch, handling, ride etc.

If you can't make your mind up on paper, drive them both and see what you think then

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Put a blindfold on and pick! Jks. I've driven the 6MPS before i bought my 3MPS. It was kinda a hard choice as i really liked the interiors of the 6MPS, especially with the luxury package. I did like the AWD system on the 6MPS but you can really feel the weight of the car however, it does launch itself quite well. I did shit myself when i first drove it. (1st time test driving the MPS model) Either way, depends how deep your pockets go. I just forked out alittle more for a newer car i guess ended up with the luxury model as well, bit more peace of mind. They both are different cars and will have its advantages and disadvantages.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

I've had both, had the 3 then the 6. It all comes down to preference mate and I was much happier with the AWD, though don't get me wrong the 3 pulls so much harder once it gets going though I'd rather have that incredible launch than rolling.

When it comes to handling I'm no expert though from what I noticed is that the 3 is much easier to push to the limits from my experience anyway, and it really is a fun car not to say the 6 isn't though I think the 3 is more for lets say younger people and the 6 is more for older people hehe.

Comfort wise I thought the 3 had waaaaay better seats and much better seating position and in regards to reliability and maintenance costs I'm pretty sure there'd be less things that can go wrong in the 3 due to the fact it's fwd vs the awd which you will most likely want to get new rear diff mounts/brace.

6 MPS = Long Distance Road warrior.
    3 MPS = Daily corner eater!

another thing mate what ^^ said, you can pick up a gen2 mps for about 25k imo I'd save up a bit over the gen one, not saying the gen 1 is bad or anything but the price difference is almost negligible and having a newer car is never bad not to mention with a few visual mods they look sooo naaice

General consensus is the 3 is a little quicker than the 6 being lighter, fwd etc and will take slightly better to mods. I was looking for about 6 months before I bought my 6 MPS, and I did not even test drive the 3 as it didn't interest me. I'm not a fan of the hatchback look and wanted something more luxurious and a cruiser. My gf has a regular 3 and it spins wheels easy so I can't imagine a 3 MPS from a launch, but that's not what they are designed for being fwd. In the future I may change my mind and look at a gen2 but I am happy for the time being. As others have said, you will feel the weight of the awd and the 6 being a bit heavier so you may prefer the 3 if you want that more aggressive feeling. Reliability will depend largely on how the car was looked after, the stock turbo on both the 3 and 6 is a throw away unit, some last 20000km some over 100000km it really depends how you drive and look after the car, same thing for clutch etc. They both use the same engine, turbo etc, really not alot of difference other than cosmetics and chassis/suspension changes. The only thing I dislike (although have gotten used to) is the clutch on the 6, it is very heavy and basically on or off, you either love it or hate it. I must admit, I wanted more of an uncommon car and found there to be less 6 on the road than the 3 (since they stopped production, and they didn't sell as well). As soon as I saw a 6 in person I fell in love, the bonnet bulge sold it for me :P Test drive both and let us know what you choose
    Last edited by dazza; 20-04-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

oh and don't make the same mistake I did, I initially wanted a 6 but settled for a 3! be patient other wise it'll come back to bite you in the ass (fffuuuu depreciation which could've been spent on a BT)

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    I've had both, had the 3 then the 6. It all comes down to preference mate and I was much happier with the AWD, though don't get me wrong the 3 pulls so much harder once it gets going though I'd rather have that incredible launch than rolling.

When it comes to handling I'm no expert though from what I noticed is that the 3 is much easier to push to the limits from my experience anyway, and it really is a fun car not to say the 6 isn't though I think the 3 is more for lets say younger people and the 6 is more for older people hehe.

Comfort wise I thought the 3 had waaaaay better seats and much better seating position and in regards to reliability and maintenance costs I'm pretty sure there'd be less things that can go wrong in the 3 due to the fact it's fwd vs the awd which you will most likely want to get new rear diff mounts/brace.
    Na man the 6 is mad car im tall so much more suited to the six but with the 6 u get no torque steer and with a few good upgrades blower, clutch, mount's a good tune (i've lightened mine a little prob taken 50 kg out so far) you can drift the awd system will have u smile'n everytime u launch def not an oldie's car
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

10. Default

Thank you for the quick and intelligent replies!
    Spending that little bit more on BL instead of the BK 3 does make sense, and I have had a look and the prices aren't that big of a difference. I do prefer the look of the BK over the BL, but as I do plan on keeping this next car for a number of years, those lower km's and newer build of the BL could come in handy.
    Describing the 6 as a more senior car, while the 3 as a younger persons car has me leaning towards the 3. I've done the bigger (Australian) sedans and highway cruisers and what has me looking at the smaller turbo cars is the want for some fun when going to my girlfriends beach house or my parents house, both which feature some GREAT roads if you choose to leave the freeway. Even just to be able to sneak off into the hills at night or early in the morning is appealing.
    As mentioned previously, it won't be a daily driver as I ride a bicycle everyday for transport, so I don't need the daily comfort for highway kilometres that others might. Once again, seems to point towards the 3.

That sums up my thoughts right now, i need to get some sleep!

Thanks once again, very much appreciated.

if you think the 6 clutch is hard wait till you get uprated clutch or drive a truck for a week u will never think its heavy again

I have never driven a 6 but after owning my 3 for almost six years would not consider any other car. This is the best car I have ever had. It can go crazy if you want it to and on the other hand can be calmly driven around town. If I dont get to drive it for a couple of days I get withdrawal symptoms! As for the 6 being for the elderly driver I can knock that right on the head as I drive the 3 and I'm 68 this year. Second childhood- NO- not even out of the first!
    Life begins at age 65

Agreed, you have to drive both to get a feel for them. Those of us that have 6's do so for a reason, and those who have 3's likewise. Maybe meet up with the Vic guys next time there is a cruise and have them take you for a drive, you will get a feel for what the cars are like after a few mods.

I met up with a fellow 6'er Stuart last weekend, I wanted to see what a big turbo felt like on a 6. He just put in a BNR3 with an exhaust and a map to match those mods (full custom tune to come), and the thing was an animal! There really is NOTHING like taking off in an AWD car. He gave it a moderate launch and it was like a freight train had smashed us from behind!

You really need to experience all 3 variations b4 u go out and spend $25+k

My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    Thank you for the quick and intelligent replies!
    Spending that little bit more on BL instead of the BK 3 does make sense, and I have had a look and the prices aren't that big of a difference. I do prefer the look of the BK over the BL, but as I do plan on keeping this next car for a number of years, those lower km's and newer build of the BL could come in handy.
    Describing the 6 as a more senior car, while the 3 as a younger persons car has me leaning towards the 3. I've done the bigger (Australian) sedans and highway cruisers and what has me looking at the smaller turbo cars is the want for some fun when going to my girlfriends beach house or my parents house, both which feature some GREAT roads if you choose to leave the freeway. Even just to be able to sneak off into the hills at night or early in the morning is appealing.
    As mentioned previously, it won't be a daily driver as I ride a bicycle everyday for transport, so I don't need the daily comfort for highway kilometres that others might. Once again, seems to point towards the 3.

That sums up my thoughts right now, i need to get some sleep!

Thanks once again, very much appreciated.
    This thread isn't worth anything without a test drive of both. I'm lucky enough to have both a six and three mps in the garage. Three is better on twisty cruises the six better on long trips and the daily grind. Six is much better in first three gears even in stock trim and the three better when rolling.

I love both but each are in the eye of the beholder.. What state are you in? Maybe we can help you out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I've been in the same situation as @Jmac having both at my disposal. And he's right in everything he says.

Performance aside, because few really drive to the cars potential, normal daily driving both have their advantages and disadvantages that only you can decide.
    The 3 I think is slightly more practical if you carry large items in the boot.
    3 has a better clutch and gear box feel. And doesn't make you look like an idiot when reversing (6 owners will know exactly what I mean)
    6 has a much nicer interior, it shows its $10-15k higher original price.
    The 6 is nicer to drive distances, and feels more solid on the road

noticed the username, are you from sk8parx?

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    This thread isn't worth anything without a test drive of both. I'm lucky enough to have both a six and three mps in the garage. Three is better on twisty cruises the six better on long trips and the daily grind. Six is much better in first three gears even in stock trim and the three better when rolling.

I love both but each are in the eye of the beholder.. What state are you in? Maybe we can help you out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Obviously it doesn't mean much until I test drive these cars, I just figured I'd get some ideas before I look at test driving etc. I'm not quite ready to buy anything just yet, so we'll look at it closer in a couple months.
    I've in Victoria, inner eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I will keep an eye on the forum for meets etc, just to get a better look at some cars. I've never actually been in one previous, so it'd help!

Quote Originally Posted by raymondato View Post
    noticed the username, are you from sk8parx?
    Yeah, spend a lot of time posting on skateboard.com.au !
    i assume you are too?

Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    Obviously it doesn't mean much until I test drive these cars, I just figured I'd get some ideas before I look at test driving etc. I'm not quite ready to buy anything just yet, so we'll look at it closer in a couple months.
    I've in Victoria, inner eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I will keep an eye on the forum for meets etc, just to get a better look at some cars. I've never actually been in one previous, so it'd help!

Yeah, spend a lot of time posting on skateboard.com.au !
    i assume you are too?
    maybe we can help you, we have a 6 and 3 mps in the garage with the mods listed in my sig.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Im also in Melbourne if you want to come for a drive, will be tuned as soon as AP is released too.

Two different animals. Lots of good comments made but to have it simply put, Yeldarb says it pretty well. I'm tall and prefer the greater room and better ride offered by a longer wheelbase car, as well as the lack of torque steer, the handling on poor surfaces, and the huge fast touring ability and precise handling of the 6 on fast sweepers. It is a true GT and no slouch at the lights either.

However, I think hard launches are just hard on transmissions so I avoid them when possible. 2nd and 3rd gear will catch almost any opposition, so being first to the next set of lights doesn't count for much. I gave an M5 the fright of its life when its driver played silly buggers with me one day. 3rd gear really is a giant killer when it gets on song.

But if you want to launch all the time, get something lighter. I reckon most clutches fail because people overwork them. Ditto engines. If you are looking at a car with 100,000km on it, then you might want to look hard at the owner and what he might have been doing to the car.

Most people don't understand what GT means and stick the name on everything from bicycles to blenders. It really means "4 door, luxury, high performance touring". While some hatches might have four doors, I don't think they truly fit the concept, no matter how capable they are, simply on account of wheelbase and what that means for comfort.

Apart from the other considerations, decide on your primary use before opting for one. And remember that the 6 is no longer made - unfortunately.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 24-04-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast