User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MPS 3 v 6 - How do they compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    Nice video, guy in the 3 can't get off the line to save his life. Its not indicative of much except the 3 is faster (look at the rolls) and the guy in the 3 can't drive.
    wtf? are you serious?
    its indicative that the 6 is faster than the three except on a roll.
    off the line the three is never going to beat the six unless you have slicks, regardless of driver.

you could put the biggest POS driver in the 6 and they would still beat the 3.

this is what happens when 3 vs 6 off the line with same mods.
    Launch, six in front, pulls three - four car lengths up till top of third then three starts pulling back. you aint going to catch up till late 5th if you are lucky and by then there is no point.

say what you want, at the end of the day I have both at home in the garage so i am pretty sure i am the most qualified in this conversation except for brad because he has a three and his dad had a six.

if you want to talk track then it is a different story, the three will beat the six but that is obvious as its the same engine with different body weight, though i think the six done correctly will be even better on the track.

This is not a bias opinion because my daily is the three and the missus has the six.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

yes i agree the 6 will track very well (mine will ) once you know how to drive the awd properly you can enter a corner a lot faster because of the stability and grip of the awd and the length of the 6 keeps it stable too

I honestly like the excitement of driving the 3's and dont mind FWDs, I just like the AWD attitude and comfort at speed a little more

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I honestly like the excitement of driving the 3's and dont mind FWDs, I just like the AWD attitude and comfort at speed a little more
    so do I, thats why I own one.. just stating the facts.

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

All else being equal (which is hard), a longer wheel base will track better and usually ride better than a shorter one. The six in the wet and on soft and even quite deep surfaces is superb.

In any event, apart from the common factors of four wheels, engine and badge, I think we are talking two quite different cars, with different wheelbases and weights and drivetrains, so comparison is a bit pointless. We had both in our family too and each suits the user best. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    wtf? are you serious?
    its indicative that the 6 is faster than the three except on a roll.
    off the line the three is never going to beat the six unless you have slicks, regardless of driver.

you could put the biggest POS driver in the 6 and they would still beat the 3.

this is what happens when 3 vs 6 off the line with same mods.
    Launch, six in front, pulls three - four car lengths up till top of third then three starts pulling back. you aint going to catch up till late 5th if you are lucky and by then there is no point.

say what you want, at the end of the day I have both at home in the garage so i am pretty sure i am the most qualified in this conversation except for brad because he has a three and his dad had a six.

if you want to talk track then it is a different story, the three will beat the six but that is obvious as its the same engine with different body weight, though i think the six done correctly will be even better on the track.

This is not a bias opinion because my daily is the three and the missus has the six.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Car & Driver -

Mazdaspeed 6
    0-60 mph - 5.4 sec
    1/4 mile - 14.0 @ 99 mph

Mazdaspeed 3 (Gen1)
    0-60 mph - 5.3 sec
    1/4 mile - 13.8 @ 102 mph

Sorry, but when somebody who knows how to drive is in the 3, the 6 has no chance, even at the only thing its "faster" at, 0-100km/h.

I'm not saying its better or worse, but the 3 is faster in every measure of performance.

And yes, I have driven MPS6's before.
    Last edited by Speed3; 10-06-2012 at 02:40 AM.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

^^^ factory spec's but who really as a factory spec car i would like to see these times after just a re-tune with all the limiters released

in every drag vid the AWD of the 6 launches first a lot harder then the 3 it is physics you cant escape it in no way will 2 wheels ever be able to grip more then 4 the only reason why the 3 can overcome its slow launch is because of its weight and the little bit less driveline loss then the 6 but you get the 6 down to mps 3 weight and it will eat it simply because of the awds launch capability's its all about what you want it for as they are both very good cars once you get a re-tune the 6 will eat almost anything off the line + plus you can drift + more stability at high speed + once lightened are almost unbeatable the 3 on the other hand is lighter @ stock weight + hits boost a bit faster + is faster from a rolling start
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

heres another

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

im not saying that the 3 is a slower car in anyway but it is at a disadvantage from take off and is only slower in take off through the mid range gears the 3 has more power due to its weight but they are almost equal its simply what you like FWD or AWD
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

The only other thing to add is that given identical powerplants, the 3 will plainly accelerate faster than the 6 due to higher PTW ratio.
    This advantage cannot compete with the ability of AWD traction to get power on the ground on a stone-cold start but is of greater significance when rolling and loss of traction is less of an issue.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 11-06-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    Car & Driver -

Mazdaspeed 6
    0-60 mph - 5.4 sec
    1/4 mile - 14.0 @ 99 mph

Mazdaspeed 3 (Gen1)
    0-60 mph - 5.3 sec
    1/4 mile - 13.8 @ 102 mph

Sorry, but when somebody who knows how to drive is in the 3, the 6 has no chance, even at the only thing its "faster" at, 0-100km/h.

I'm not saying its better or worse, but the 3 is faster in every measure of performance.

And yes, I have driven MPS6's before.
    Is that more conclusive than someone that drives both on a daily basis? Sorry but the journos would have had those for a few hours.

The three is most definitely not faster to 100. I suspect a Pussycat launch of the six.

Go throw some mods on and watch you times get slower.

Anyway... Name one car that was made worse by AWD. I love how you think you know what you are talking about.

It's not as if you are going to admit the car you own is slower. I'm more than happy to because I OWN one of each. Three is only faster on a roll where the power loss and weight hurt the six.

Say what you like I won't be wasting anymore time explaining why you are wrong.

/ rant.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Jmac; 10-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Well gentleman , i own a MPS 6 and a Gen II MPS 3, yes both. they both sit in my garage and i drive both.

6 FTW

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

i should add... i dont even remember how my 6 went stock... so maybe biased in that sense

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Well gentleman , i own a MPS 6 and a Gen II MPS 3, yes both. they both sit in my garage and i drive both.

6 FTW

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

i should add... i dont even remember how my 6 went stock... so maybe biased in that sense
    Apparently that doesn't mean anything. All the YouTube videos and the people that own or have both in the family don't know what they are talking about because awd always makes cars worse.
    Maybe we should let Audi known that awd in road cars is pointless, turbos too because they add weight.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Yeah i can't really comment on this thread as i've never sat in a MPS3
    let alone driven one, interesting reading thou. MPS6 FTW
    Cheers Todd

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post

6 FTW

once mine's working "properly" *cough cough* be curious to get your thoughts on it... and wouldnt mind trying your 6
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    once mine's working "properly" *cough cough* be curious to get your thoughts on it... and wouldnt mind trying your 6
    That may be possible in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    You still ain't going anywhere to third Sammy lol

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

JMAC, love the rant! Remind me of the response "I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you think you heard is not what I meant”

I cannot think of any car that was made worse by AWD. When I was idly looking for possible replacements for my 6, AWD was top of the specs requirements, so hence my trawl through Audi, Volvo, VW, Honda, etc. Once you have had AWD (even partial) then everything else pales almost into insignificance. BMW rant on about how real "drivers cars" are RWD, but ice, snow, heavy rain, wet slick hot-mix, sand, indifferent and variable surfaces and soft pea-gravel will sort the AWDs from the rest of the machines that just skated sideways off the road when they caught their drivers unaware.

From a safety point of view, AWD should be like seat belts - obligatory. It's just a pity it would be largely wasted on the majority of kiddy-car-peddlers who can't drive for %$#@ - or on 2nd thoughts, perhaps given their often atrocious driving, maybe that is who AWD manufacturers should be targeting!!
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 11-06-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Is that more conclusive than someone that drives both on a daily basis? Sorry but the journos would have had those for a few hours.

The three is most definitely not faster to 100. I suspect a Pussycat launch of the six.

Go throw some mods on and watch you times get slower.

Anyway... Name one car that was made worse by AWD. I love how you think you know what you are talking about.

It's not as if you are going to admit the car you own is slower. I'm more than happy to because I OWN one of each. Three is only faster on a roll where the power loss and weight hurt the six.

Say what you like I won't be wasting anymore time explaining why you are wrong.

/ rant.

I do know what I am talking about, I love how you assume you are right because you have both cars. Just because you have both cars does not mean you are a professional who knows how to use them properly. You find the 6 easier to drive, whoopee, so would most average drivers, fact is, its slower.

You post your seat of the pants, thats nice.

I post irrefuteable sourced data, and you get upset because it proves you wrong, boo hoo.
    Here is some basic physics for you...

Mazda 6 MPS -
    190kW 380Nm @ 1639kg
    115.92kW/tonne
    231.84Nm/tonne

Mazda 3 MPS (Gen1) -
    190kW 380Nm @ 1403kg
    135.42kW/tonne
    270.84Nm/tonne

Its got 20kW/tonne and 39Nm/tonne advantage, and if you measured power put to the ground, the power/weight advantage grows higher due to the extra driveline losses inflicted on the 6 by AWD.

There is no performance measure in which the 6 can win, except maybe ice racing or something dumb and inapplicable to Australia, the 3 is always going to be faster. Its a pretty stupid argument, small-mid size hot-hatch vs mid-family size sedan with the same engine? Its a no brainer which will have the performance edge.

Mazda 3 MPS vs Mazda 6 MPS - FastestLaps.com

Every quoteable source puts the 3 in front, but you know better because you own one of each, which automatically makes you the be-all-end-all right?

You want me to name cars that have been made worse by AWD? Really?

Porsche 911 Carrera S vs Porsche 911 Carrera 4. The only performance test the 4 wins in is... none, its slower at everything and handles worse since the extra weight does nothing for it and no extra power plus added driveline losses mean it loses in a straight line.

Another example? BMW 335i vs 335xi. Take excellent 335i, add totally unecessary centre diff and front diff, blunting it with extra weight, understeer and driveline loss, and you have the 335xi.

More examples? HSV Coupe4 vs HSV GTO Coupe VX II. The Coupe4 had the LS1, like the GTO, but at 270kW to the GTO's 255. It was also +250kg heavier and ran nearly 1 sec slower down the 1/4 and, well, lost at everything. Not to mention costing significantly more.

More examples? I think the point should be coming accross...

AWD doesn't automatically make cars better, it makes them easier to drive for the average punter and more suitable to certain conditions, only one of which is encountered in Australian major cities - rain.

I could go on, but there's little point. As has been mentioned in this thread before, they're two different cars... the 3 is the sports car, the 6 is the grand tourer. Stock on stock, the 3 is faster, deal with it.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Apparently that doesn't mean anything. All the YouTube videos and the people that own or have both in the family don't know what they are talking about because awd always makes cars worse.
    Maybe we should let Audi known that awd in road cars is pointless, turbos too because they add weight.
    *cough cough*

M3 (RWD) > RS5 (AWD)
    M5 (RWD) > RS6 (AWD)

Awww...
    Last edited by Speed3; 11-06-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

i'll get my 6 aganst your 3 anyday $500 @ winton says mine wins if you think they are faster i'll even get a stock level tune 200kw for you so you have a chance
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 11-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.

@Speed3 none of those comparos are valid IMO, cause all of them are comparing RWD to AWD

This is a fwd vs AWD discussion...
    IMO, the best comparison you can make is the GTI vs golf R

Gti pirelli edition 127kw/tonne low 6s to 60mph
    Golf R 125kw/tonne, mid 5's to 60mph

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast