User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MPS 3 v 6 - How do they compare?

It really depends what you want.

Personally, I don't like AWD cars.

I feel I don't need the extra weight and the extra driveline losses they bring. Unless its snowy/muddy/wet all the time or all you care about is 0-100km/h sprints, AWD always makes cars worse in my opinion.

The 3 was an obvious no-brainer in that scenario, plus also I bought brand new and they don't make a 6 MPS anymore anyway.

6MPS for hurter-durter four wheel drive drift

The end

yeah used to post way back in the day as da.to

and keeping on topic, i would definitely recommend getting the 3 (gen 1). in my opinion they look better than the gen 2, and with a few mods they are very fast.

still happy with mine, enjoy driving it every day..

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    It really depends what you want.

Personally, I don't like AWD cars.

I feel I don't need the extra weight and the extra driveline losses they bring. Unless its snowy/muddy/wet all the time or all you care about is 0-100km/h sprints, AWD always makes cars worse in my opinion.

The 3 was an obvious no-brainer in that scenario, plus also I bought brand new and they don't make a 6 MPS anymore anyway.
    kind of ironic considering FWD has almost every law applied against it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

MPS8

tsk tsk

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    kind of ironic considering FWD has almost every law applied against it.

Except driveline losses and weight. Its biggest disadvantage is on launch.

AWD cars drawbacks in my opinion outweigh their benefit. You get the understeer of an FWD anyway with extra unwanted weight and put by far the least power to the wheels compared to FWD/RWD rivals. In mostly dry Australia, there's little point to it.

Plus modern FWD's do a good job of telling the laws of physics to go jump. My favourite is looking at some Nurburgring times... the fastest Mitsubishi EVO time around there ever is for the 9, 8:11.

RenaultSport Megane 265 Trophy... 8:07.97.

Hot on the heels of the Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec-C 2007 (8:06.01) and embarassing other AWD cars like the 250kW Audi TT-RS (8:09) and 309kW 4.2 V8 Audi RS4 (also 8:09).

If there's anything that proves my point its that Megane. Takes a stripped out Scooby STi with minimal interior niceness to beat an FWD car with 40kW less power that has dual zone climate control and full stereo still in it...

Anyway, this is way off topic so enough from me... lol
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Here here speed 3 !

Well said !

Oh boy, here we go again.....

AWD vs FWD argument aside, there is room for both if these cars in a typical garage, JMAC is proof of that.

You would never see these cars in a comparison together either.

Dynamically they're different cars, but they both haul arse, just depends if you're a cruiser or a racer!

If you like getting off the line with confidence, go the 6. If weight is your concern, go the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    Except driveline losses and weight. Its biggest disadvantage is on launch.

AWD cars drawbacks in my opinion outweigh their benefit. You get the understeer of an FWD anyway with extra unwanted weight and put by far the least power to the wheels compared to FWD/RWD rivals. In mostly dry Australia, there's little point to it.

Plus modern FWD's do a good job of telling the laws of physics to go jump. My favourite is looking at some Nurburgring times... the fastest Mitsubishi EVO time around there ever is for the 9, 8:11.

RenaultSport Megane 265 Trophy... 8:07.97.

Hot on the heels of the Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec-C 2007 (8:06.01) and embarassing other AWD cars like the 250kW Audi TT-RS (8:09) and 309kW 4.2 V8 Audi RS4 (also 8:09).

If there's anything that proves my point its that Megane. Takes a stripped out Scooby STi with minimal interior niceness to beat an FWD car with 40kW less power that has dual zone climate control and full stereo still in it...

Anyway, this is way off topic so enough from me... lol
    I know. I own both.
    Once rolling its neg. Off the line its absolutely rubbish.
    Stock for stock the six will kill the three to 100. Modded 3 Vs stock 6 even worse.
    Track work little bit of a difference.

If I was buying near new or second hand it would be a Gen pu. Older and hands down it would be a six. Much better all round and if you went to town on it I wouldn't hesitate to say it would be quicker. Peak power means nothing.

Don't get me wrong I love my three but with nearly 200kw and semi slicks its already pointless fighting a losing battle against gravity and grip.

Besides the fact it ain't so dry here in victoria and new south wales is just as gas recently and the speed limits lol, all of your driving is between 0-100. So how many track days will you be going on.

Last edited by Jmac; 25-04-2012 at 11:22 AM.

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

excellent post

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I know. I own both.
    Once rolling its neg. Off the line its absolutely rubbish.
    Stock for stock the six will kill the three to 100. Modded 3 Vs stock 6 even worse.
    Track work little bit of a difference.

If I was buying near new or second hand it would be a Gen pu. Older and hands down it would be a six. Much better all round and if you went to town on it I wouldn't hesitate to say it would be quicker. Peak power means nothing.

Don't get me wrong I love my three but with nearly 200kw and semi slicks its already pointless fighting a losing battle against gravity and grip.

Besides the fact it ain't so dry here in victoria and new south wales is just as gas recently and the speed limits lol, all of your driving is between 0-100. So how many track days will you be going on.

To the OP, simply test driving the cars back to back will speak volumes. If time (and car availability) permits, drive them back to back on a dry day and then in the wet. Armed with those comparisons, the info you've gained in this thread and deciding what you want from a car....it should be pretty clear to you.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    excellent post

To the OP, simply test driving the cars back to back will speak volumes. If time (and car availability) permits, drive them back to back on a dry day and then in the wet. Armed with those comparisons, the info you've gained in this thread and deciding what you want from a car....it should be pretty clear to you.
    Exactly. I think its a personal preference thing

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Mps3 > mps6

bit of a strange thing to post on a MPS forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MPSJET View Post
    Mps3 > mps6

Interesting observation here.
    Those that have a 6 say the 6 is best.
    Those that have a 3 say the 3 is best.
    Those that have had both say they are both different, try it out for yourself, while the love the 3, prefer the 6.
    Make of that what you will

If you look at the thread title, I think the answer is easy;

"MPS 3 v 6 - How do they compare?"

Answer; they don't

It would be like asking "Liberty GT vs WRX - How do they compare"

Answer; they don't

In my view the 6 is good enough that I haven't found any good reason to buy one of the many new (AWD if they make one) cars I have been looking at, including Volvo T6, Audi RS4, VWR36, or any of the Bimmers. It may not be a s slick inside as some of these named but at around half the price of all of those cited plus many more, this does the car a lot of largely unrecognized credit. The only car that has tempted me so far is the Merc C63. But if I had the readies for that without more of a stretch, I'd go for the GT-R. Maybe the 3 is in this place with some owners too.

As someone else noted and I was tempted to say before, I don't really think there is any comparison between 6 and 3, except they share common engines and badge and four wheels. I have the 6 and it suits me. My daughter has the 3 and it suits her. It's not a case of chalk and cheese, its, well, chalk and chalk. That should suffice.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

This says it all

Full stop

Nice video, guy in the 3 can't get off the line to save his life. Its not indicative of much except the 3 is faster (look at the rolls) and the guy in the 3 can't drive.

performance wise

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

the awd of the 6 eats the 3 off the line but at a rolling start the 3 is faster no matter how good a driver you are 4 wheels trying to put power down will always take off faster then just 2 its physic's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast