User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO GET 400WHP FROM YOUR SPEED 3 (the practical way)

1. Default HOW TO GET 400WHP FROM YOUR SPEED 3 (the practical way)

Hey guys since our cars are developing more and more everyday with great aftermarket support it’s becoming easier to make a reliable, daily driven 400whp Speed. To make this power reliably the two most important things are a solid tune and proper maintenance to your vehicle! I can’t stress this enough guys. To check out you can do on stock internals see this thread.
    big turbo stock block thread - Mazdaspeed Forums
    Everyone’s results are going to vary due to tunes, dyno’s, hard parts, motor health, weather, and elevation etc.
    Now this can be accomplished on just the stock injectors and an upgraded high pressure fuel pump. You will be very close to maxing out anywhere from 390whp-410whp depending on the tune and fuel choice. Please don’t ask if you can use less than 91 octane, the answer is no. Let’s get on to the parts that make this possible! Remember when building a car to this level do it once correctly and you will never have to do it again so don’t skimp on anything! Lol

Hard Parts
    • Intake (Big MAF recommended, but not necessary in some cases)
    • Big turbo inlet pipe
    • Intercooler (Front mount recommended but TMIC will be able to get you there)
    • Downpipe ( 3”)
    • Catback Exhaust
    • Bigger turbo (Choice of turbo varies on everyone’s desires of the drivability of the car)
    • Colder spark plugs
    • Motor mounts- You are definitely going to need a RMM but the PMM & TMM are something to seriously consider at this power level
    • Injector Seals ( These are highly recommended but not necessary. The factory seals will wear over time so it’s better to upgrade before they go bad.)
    • Manifold (Recommended but not needed, there are many stock manifold 400whp cars)
    • Upgraded boost controller is highly recommended

Fueling- Don’t be this guy

• HPFP/HPFP Internals

Tuning

• Cobb AccessPort or Versa Tune (do yourself a favor and spend a few hundred bucks to have an experienced tuner tune your car)

• The tune is very key to all this power and to do it safely and reliably so make sure your tuner knows what’s going on and preferably has a good history with tuning speeds

Turbo

• To make this clear, there is not a best turbo. ANY GT30R turbo will easily get you 400whp including non-GTX versions. If anything, the GTX turbos seem to shine with higher boost levels than with low to medium boost levels. So if you’re planning on 400whp and that’s it, a GTX30R might be too much turbo.

If you want 400whp now and know that later on, you want to take advantage of future advancements in the platform to get even more power, a GTX30R would be great. There’s no right or wrong here. A GT2871R in theory has the ability to get there but the turbo will be pushing harder than a GT30R.

There are too many other variables to discuss. There are tons of ways to get it, but this is the most practical way to get 400whp.

Once you have done all of this hard work go enjoy your monster of a car. Don’t be afraid to drive it either, enjoy all the hard work you did to get it here.

3-Bar MAP sensor could be useful as well... or is it possible to break 400whp (300kw in aussie speak) without maxing out the stocker?

hah love the memes

nice post

400whp is tough - ive got all that above + a little more and only just have 400hp at the flywheel... i am on a conservative tune at a medium boost level for my turbo tho.

5. Default

You can Do it on the stock map sensor. ^^^^ this is for mazdaspeed 3. MPS 6 are much tougher to due cause of awd

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@edgeautosport.com View Post
    You can Do it on the stock map sensor. ^^^^ this is for mazdaspeed 3. MPS 6 are much tougher to due cause of awd

i WILL do it lol

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    i WILL do it lol
    myself @LittleredMPS and @MPS2NV will be working on it once we get the AP released

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

wowwww, would love to hear a 400whp mps lol... wish i had to money for this !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    myself @LittleredMPS and @MPS2NV will be working on it once we get the AP released

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Ye but of you three Mitch has the 6 - so ill pool myself in that category when the AP is out aswell

Note: I'm not recommending ANYONE try this!

If you check out this msf thread: Bad News.... FORZDA 1 Blew Up (Bent Rods) - Mazdaspeed Forums You can read about how Forzda 1 made a mistake in his tuning (uses ATR to do his own tuning). He HAS blown his engine (well, he BENT a rod. Not broken, no hole in the block, just a bent rod). At the time he was exceeding his 3bar map sensor (by mistake) on a BNR Stage 3 turbo, with stock engine internals.

It's anybody's guess as to how much boost it was actually pushing, but its kinda crazy to realise he was seeing 30+PSI for 4 WOT runs before he had an issue... I have no doubt, that t was the quality of every other part of his tune that made this at all possible even for one WOT pull.

My point here is to emphasise what has been stated before me, that a GOOD tune is everything on these engines. Some of the old mentality that these engines have particularly weak rods etc need to be re-considered imho.

11. Default

^^^ You can make this power with 22psi ball park are ( which are with in the limits of the stock map sensor) We have seen guys over 35+psi on the factory block! If you have all the correct hardware and proper tune its not an issue.

Forzda blew his engine because he made an error when tuning and used the wrong tables and had nothing to due to having the 3 bar map sensor.

The stock ECU can only increase the boost limit/warning to 24psi, before having to be disabled altogether.
    This is obviously due to the fact the supporting hardware would be at it's limit, as suggested as 22psi ball park above.

I ran mine at 23.9psi for this reason alone.
    Pushing more than this has resulted in the current owner blowing the motor, possibly due to the tune it had done after he took delivery.

+1 to having a good tune/tuner to work on your car.
    I did everything else myself.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

13. Default

Hey @2XS what setup did you run to get that 12.3?

Forzda blew his engine because he made an error when tuning and used the wrong tables and had nothing to due to having the 3 bar map sensor.
    Agreed. My only point about the 3 bar sensor was that his logs could show up to that point...

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Agreed. My only point about the 3 bar sensor was that his logs could show up to that point...
    Gotcha, a good boost guage is also a great and helpful tool to use when running close to maxing out the map sensor

Hey @2XS what setup did you run to get that 12.3?
    I made everything myself,
    Custom SRI, custom FMIC (600x300), custom turbo manifold, Garrett 28/76r, custom twin DP, full 3" system, Coilovers, Superpro Anti lift kit, 20psi boost, Used Porsche circuit slicks and a Chiptorque tune.

Most importantly, I also had a blocked cat, only allowing 20psi boost.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I made everything myself,

Most importantly, I also had a blocked cat, only allowing 20psi boost.

How did you make this? Or how did you get it to limit boost to 20psi? Or is this doing the same job as an actuator?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    How did you make this? Or how did you get it to limit boost to 20psi? Or is this doing the same job as an actuator?
    The blocked cat was unintentional.

Excess fuelling early during the upgrade decreased the cats life.
    When I sold the car, it was running 18-19psi.
    By the time the car was in Melbourne, it was running between 14-15psi.

It was about 2 weeks after this, they discovered the issue.
    I suggested the cat after being told the car was really quiet, exhaust wise.

I really wanted to take my car back to the drags with 24psi then, and try to acheive the ellusive 11 sec pass.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Ye but of you three Mitch has the 6 - so ill pool myself in that category when the AP is out aswell
    You better pull your engine apart now if you want to be in my class
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    You better pull your engine apart now if you want to be in my class
    Bwhahahha.

Could have sworn your signature said "Resident Fish Monger" for a second lol
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast