User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 - outcome of 110K Service = Front Ball joints/arms are cactus!!!

Default MPS6 - outcome of 110K Service = Front Ball joints/arms are cactus!!!

hi alll
    i visit this forum every 6monts or so to report findings of my car service. the last one at 100K resulted in a VVTI replacement which thank the heavens my extended warranty (Swann) coverred.

anwyas car was fine, few issues i was aware of (needing new rear tyres and clutch) such as a slight wobble in the rear of the car whcih became more noticable at above 110-120km.
    got new tyres last week (fronts still less tnah 6months old so they were pushed to the back) and was significantly better...but id notice now that something wasnt right...which was not in the front tyres.

put it down to wheel alignment/balance...but anways it was booked in for the 110K service today and just got the call...my front ball joints need replacing...
    i told them to check if swann would cover it and just got hte call back to say....

YES!!! (phew!) so the parts are being ordered in.i enquired the cost and they said they had to order it from over east but it was over $1000+
    apart from the clutch, i was told that hte rest of the car is fine
    in short...im kinda glad i paid for the 3 year extended warranty...
    fingers crossed nothing major is in store when it runs out next year...

should i be bracing my wallet for turbo failures or anything ridiculous...?
    car is bone stock.

Possibly your engine mounts depending how you drive, stock turbo failure its hard to say when, usually stock turbos will get you around 100000km but there are users with almost 200000km with stock turbo (not to say it doesnt have play in it though). Pretty sure my vvti is going should be interesting.
    Last edited by dazza; 19-04-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    the parts are being ordered in.i enquired the cost and they said they had to order it from over east but it was over $1000+
    For Ball joints??? Hell no! Been there done that ~$40 for left and right ball joints and a few dollars extra (on top of my usual service) to get fitted.

UNLESS you need control arms as well, but I don't see how you would need new control arms?

FYI I'm still on stock turbo at 70K+ with mods (see sig) no smoke

Check out this Ebay

Or this thread, Help with Ball joints

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

^ Just picked the car up...the report says replace control arms.
    the guy on the phone said to me ball joints. their quote of $1000+ doesnt surprise me...i ask every time just for my amusement (last time they said a clutch would be $4000...)

car is booked in for the works for next tuesday. service was cheaper than they quotted ($266 instead of $316) and i the rest is covered by the extended warranty.

RE engine mounts...they were replaced under the Ext warranty at the last service too.

i guess i better get onto to MPS garage and order myself a clutch.

I paid for an extended warranty with Swann. Kicking myself over it now. I'm doing all my own servicing and repairs these days, all on a budget, and all seems to be working. While things like the VVT etc failing does concern me, I reckon I'll be able to handle it on my own. I'm actually hoping to **** the system off and smash some dirty big cams in there instead... But we'll see. Can I ask how much they charged for that to be done on yours?

I can see how control arm bushes *might* add up to a big cost if they're counting labour, but yeah as Rog said, these are cheap items!
    MPS6

I'm pretty sure Mazda don't sell ball joints for the 6MPS, so if they use genuine Mazda parts they'll probably need to replace the entire upper control arms. This would explain the high cost.

7. Default

Hey im kinda new to this forums only jump on it every now and then..
    ive got this problem ATM too not sure what it is, my friend who works for mazda just serviced my mps last weekend
    and said looks like the front control arm needs to be replaced.
    it makes a knocking noise as you go on bumps but not constant if u drive on smooth roads.
    and it does bother you at times, other then that i have the music blasting so i dont hear it.
    and the front control arms he quoted parts alone were about $400 a side.

DEFINITELY GET THE CLUTCH DONE UNDER WARRANTY! :-P

it really is a $4000 job through Mazda. Over $1600 just for the replacement flywheel... The original cannot be re used.

Mazda also refused to instal anything but genuine parts for an MPS.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    DEFINITELY GET THE CLUTCH DONE UNDER WARRANTY! :-P

it really is a $4000 job through Mazda. Over $1600 just for the replacement flywheel... The original cannot be re used.

Mazda also refused to instal anything but genuine parts for an MPS.

Chris.
    i very much doubt the swann extended warranty will cover items of general wear and tear such as a clutch/flywheel.
    i have a mechanic friend/dad...so ill be getting the parts from mps garage.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    I paid for an extended warranty with Swann. Kicking myself over it now. I'm doing all my own servicing and repairs these days, all on a budget, and all seems to be working. While things like the VVT etc failing does concern me, I reckon I'll be able to handle it on my own. I'm actually hoping to **** the system off and smash some dirty big cams in there instead... But we'll see. Can I ask how much they charged for that to be done on yours?

I can see how control arm bushes *might* add up to a big cost if they're counting labour, but yeah as Rog said, these are cheap items!
    see this thread -
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...600-later.html

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mazda don't sell ball joints for the 6MPS, so if they use genuine Mazda parts they'll probably need to replace the entire upper control arms. This would explain the high cost.
    Correct, I think off memory they're a touch over $300ea. I sourced some ball joints off ebay and seem to do the same job

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Im in the same boat here

dropped the car off this morning, just picked it up.
    such a sigh of relief to not see my name on the bill! was told that swann get a fleet discount...so it would have been more if i wasnt going through them.
    car drives (handling and acceleration,smoothness of gear changes) like a dream now...
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 24-04-2012 at 05:43 PM.