User Tag List

Thread: CAI causing hydraulic lock

Default CAI causing hydraulic lock

Hi guys. I was about to purchase a CAI but thought about how low they sit. Has anyone ever sucked up water into the intake causing hydraulic lock. Im told they sit at about the wheel centre cap and the way the weathers been going in Sydney, i rekon ive gone through puddles that deep. Another reason is that it sits on the left hand side of the car which may also pick up water from the kerp on rainy days while trying to drench pedestrians lol. im still contenplating wheather to buy it but i dont know if anyone has had any trouble with it.

you will get hydrolock, get a SRI.

I haven't seen anyone getting hydro lock in the 2 years I've been on this forum...

However, have seen a few people with scary moments after water gets on their MAF sensor... it maxes out the voltage and makes your car run like a dog...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I haven't seen anyone getting hydro lock in the 2 years I've been on this forum...

However, have seen a few people with scary moments after water gets on their MAF sensor... it maxes out the voltage and makes your car run like a dog...

George had to replace his engine about a month ago from his CAI hydro locking when he ran through a puddle.

Pretty simple, dont drive through rivers. .
    And get a water repellant pre-filter.

That said, SRI is much easier to service (ie. change/clean filter) without taking the wheel and guard trim off.
    I find the best medium is a boxed SRI (eg corksport).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410931_10150947958854202_661509201_12764279_2026366336_o.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	10814 Dont think CAI is a good idea after seeing this in Sydney lol. Can anyone explain how you gain from a CAI or SRI on a turbo car? people say it doesnt restrict airflow but when you have a turbo that pumps air from the filter. Some people say it gives cooler air, but the turbo is going to heat the air the same but it uses the intercooler to cool that air. So my question is, how could you possibly get gains?? The main reason I want it is for the induction sound lol

Quote Originally Posted by 08 mazda3 mps View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410931_10150947958854202_661509201_12764279_2026366336_o.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	10814 Dont think CAI is a good idea after seeing this in Sydney lol. Can anyone explain how you gain from a CAI or SRI on a turbo car? people say it doesnt restrict airflow but when you have a turbo that pumps air from the filter. Some people say it gives cooler air, but the turbo is going to heat the air the same but it uses the intercooler to cool that air. So my question is, how could you possibly get gains?? The main reason I want it is for the induction sound lol

Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

So my theory is correct. But I did learn somthing... I might start driving without my headlights on just to gain that 1hp haha.
    Cheers for the video

So my theory is correct. But I did learn somthing... I might start driving without my headlights on just to gain that 1hp haha.
    Cheers for the video
    turn off aircon/radio as well...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post

Yo, i was one of them got splashed bad by a 4wd going through a puddle... Car struggled and then turned off, then turned it on and cleared my codes, turned it off again. Turned it bad on let it ideal to see if codes returned and nothing didn't revved it slowly still no codes, hadn't had an issue since that was last Xmas
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

A CAI will only be a problem if you go fording headlight deep into rivers.

Reedy - I think you are talking about a SRI (Short ram intake) the CAI sends the filter down prety much behind the fog lights

Reedy - I think you are talking about a SRI (Short ram intake) the CAI sends the filter down prety much behind the fog lights
    reedy has a CAI... and lives in sydney

i also have a CAI and @Reedy is right, im not sure about others, but with the CPE one, the top of the pod filter kinda faces up and does not sit behind the fog lights of the Gen II..

This should be same with Gen 1 as the CAI is compatible with both Gens

CP-E is the best designed one i think but if you want a FMIC it might be too tight to fit all the piping around it.

I got the Mazdaspeed one and well the Pod is horizontal to the foglight but i got a water proof cover on mine, the cover is always filthy but the pod is always clean.

Just get a CAI and don't drive into water deep enough to touch the filter.

I have my filter exposed to the front of the car with direct line of sight to air/water/dirt.
    I have only had an issue (not a failure) once, and it was raining heavy enough it was hailing.
    5 minutes after, the car still started/drove fine.

I have the Cp-e CAI, water was something I thought about, and continue to think about when I am driving in extreme weather, but it has never caused me any trouble and I have driven around in some crazy wet conditions. As long as your wheel arch linings are properly fitted, water will only be a problem if you go fording.

The actual filter itself sits at a height well above the hub. Altho given my time again I would probably have just got a boxed SRI and re-used the cold air feed that the stock Gen II has. Or just a panel filter. Intakes are overrated in general unless you like the noise.
    Last edited by Reedy; 19-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.

i had this problem the last time sydney had flooding. Had to go through a puddle which covered about half the wheel so naturally you would expect water to get it..It was unavoidable. water hit the maf and CELL came on..Still drivable but but sluggish...just dried out the maf and filter and gave it a clean and all was good. Apart from that..Ive driven through puddles before without anything happen. Just get a waterproof filter cover and even those water splash guards. supercheap sell them for like $20