User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gtx2867

I thought actuators are the mechanical limit to the boost, as in it measures the flow out of the turbo and then mechanically restricts the amount of boost that you can produce.

This is the function on the HSV VXR cause i've worked on one of those before and we were having issues adjusting it to boost correctly was only going to approx 15 psi

correct - the actuator mechanically controls the boost to a fixed level. A 14psi actuator will only ever allow the turbo to run 14psi MAX. As soon as that 14psi pressure is hit, the boost line that connects to the actuator says 'enough!' and the actuator opens the wastegate flap and any additional boost is just sent straight out into the exhaust stream.

A boost controller TRICKS the actuator by allowing extra pressure to escape the boost signal line before it reaches the actuator, thus requiring more boost to actuate the wastegate open. You chose how much more boost is required using the boost controller.

(actuators can be manipulated to a degree if the actuator arm is adjustable but that's not really this conversation. In the case of your VXR, assuming the stock actuator was set for 15psi you may have been able to get more boost this way - otherwise you would need to use a boost controller ie. a bleed valve or EBC)

Last edited by SMOKEY; 04-05-2012 at 04:49 PM.

O for the VXR we brought a new actuator and now runs 21psi lol we just had to keep adjusting it to suit the tune.. Tune was set to run 21 pound but actuator only allowed 15.

So for example i brought the 22psi one and then had a tune for 19 that should work?

nope.

If you buy a 22psi actuator - it's gonna run 22psi. No less.

Your "standard" boost is the spring pressure, and you can only go up from there...

A 8psi might not allow you to reach more than about 16psi or so...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You got it - that is called wastegate creep. Spring on the gate can't hold shut and starts to creep open despite the boost controller saying 'no'.
    @Bakis. Not saying this in a mean way, but this is turbo 101 stuff - probably best to wiki it or go to howstuffworks rather than clogging up edge's thread. Have a read around, it will all fall into place, and you will understand your car a lot better.

Ahh ok fair enough. I think i was confusing myself from thinking what i knew was correct but turns out it wasn't lol, hence why i didn't think i'd need to research it. Thought I understood it down-pat.... Lucky I'm not an turbo technician lol

8. Default

This is an awesome turbo, when a customer sends me some logs of how well this turbo flows I will post them!

That I want to see!

Me too!!

Sent from my iPhone

Any logs guys?

pm sent

Well that has me suitably excited... Even if i am going to be running nowhere near that much boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    Well that has me suitably excited... Even if i am going to be running nowhere near that much boost.
    Im running 22psi if I upgrade I hoping for 24psi.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Im running 22psi if I upgrade I hoping for 24psi.
    Aiming for 20, considering maybe pushing out to 22 is I can do it safe on 98, can't get e85 and not keen on meth
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

17. Default

What power are people making with turbo on a stock block

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy91 View Post
    What power are people making with turbo on a stock block
    400-420hp (300+kw)
    Max power seen is just north of 500hp...

19. Default

Ok I just ordered on of these for my car I'm only looking at 350-400hp only got a stock block though

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy91 View Post
    Ok I just ordered on of these for my car I'm only looking at 350-400hp only got a stock block though
    Zoom zoom boom

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast