User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgey EcuTek tune?

Default Dodgey EcuTek tune?

I just had my car dyno'd today @ Springy Motors with very interesting results

Red line
    09 MPS 3 GenII
    (stock, no internal mods)

Blue line
    10 MPS GenII
    Intercooler, CAI, TIP, BOV and a ECUTek tune)

I'd say go back to Mazda and get an Nov2011 update on your ECU and gain 9kW (

Loopy what was your Dynograph when u got it tuned?

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Wow, that's a kick in the pants... whoever has that ecutek tune needs to have a serious talk to their tuner... more boost and less power???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well it settled then
    The OzMPSClub sticker does add 5kW

Peter "SLIXX"

reowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww badda bing! I smell something fishy...

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

BTW SLIXX im very impressed.... I rang HPF today and left a message on whether they could do the upgrade I had done for your gen 2. You drove my car and you saw the light. lol

The Dyno graph doesn't even show a torque curve. Who is running this operation?

Gimme 10 minutes. Im gonna reverse engineer that power curve and see what the torque profile looks like....

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Here we go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3223840/Phot...ngineering.png

That Ecutek job is rubbish. All they did is up the boost and stop it from tapering off at high RPM. The fact it makes LESS power up until that point suggests they changed nothing else along the way.
    Last edited by Reedy; 14-04-2012 at 08:29 PM.

I did see the light
    Thanks mate really appreciate it

The bug just gets worse and worse

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    reowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww badda bing! I smell something fishy...

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

BTW SLIXX im very impressed.... I rang HPF today and left a message on whether they could do the upgrade I had done for your gen 2. You drove my car and you saw the light. lol

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Well there's a few people who know is running that operation

I'm not one for bagging out businesses online especially as I'm not one who had the work done

But it is disappointing as the dyno graph they were provided was letting them know the car produced 210kW

I realise that different dyno will produce different results, but a completely different curve and 50kw variance smells of deception

Remember his is the blue line

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

If those are from the same car then that second dyno run was done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. The first graph is about what you'd expect to see. Second one, rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    If those are from the same car then that second dyno run was done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. The first graph is about what you'd expect to see. Second one, rubbish.
    The funny thing is the car ran a better time with 14.1@103.77mph after the last tune and it drives the same as that day. Still spins in 3rd gear doesn't it Pete. I don't hold grudges either. Bring on a good Gen 2 ecutek tuner in Melb.

Better driving, track conditions and a bit of luck made it go faster. Not that tune.

11. Default

Hmmm
    something fishy here for sure
    were both cars tuned on the same day?
    what was the AFR's?
    The boost seems about right for the Gen 2 with EcuTeK
    We have done heaps of comparisons like this and never seen the data the same way
    What gear were they done in
    Why was the Gen 1 dyno stopped at 160 km / h ?
    and did they both have the same tyres and pressures as this can effect results a lot on a roller

BTW we are back next month so please call me and we can triple check everything is ok

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I just had my car dyno'd today @ Springy Motors with very interesting results

Red line
    09 MPS 3 GenII
    (stock, no internal mods)

Blue line
    10 MPS GenII
    Intercooler, CAI, TIP, BOV and a ECUTek tune)

I'd say go back to Mazda and get an Nov2011 update on your ECU and gain 9kW (

Loopy what was your Dynograph when u got it tuned?

Peter "SLIXX"

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

A roller dyno will always read MUCH lower than a Hub dyno
    but 50 kw is a LOT lower and is lower than waht roller dynos do here in Sydney.
    I suspect the dyno is using different calibration data that is efefcted a lot by the input temp sensor...
    but thats just a guess
    however if one run was number 17 and the other 70 odd thats a LOT of time difference and inlet temps can have a 10 kw effect on variations alone!
    so what was the daytime, morning or arvo weather on the day?
    and was the dyno room running good air flow to the intercooler?

We have seen 15kw variation in power runs on the same car after multiple runs when air flow is poor
    I BET the car/s had no dedicated air duct to the top mounted Intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Well there's a few people who know is running that operation

I'm not one for bagging out businesses online especially as I'm not one who had the work done

But it is disappointing as the dyno graph they were provided was letting them know the car produced 210kW

I realise that different dyno will produce different results, but a completely different curve and 50kw variance smells of deception

Remember his is the blue line

Peter "SLIXX"

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYMPS View Post
    The funny thing is the car ran a better time with 14.1@103.77mph after the last tune and it drives the same as that day. Still spins in 3rd gear doesn't it Pete. I don't hold grudges either. Bring on a good Gen 2 ecutek tuner in Melb.
    "good tuner"
    If this was done by MRT Ben is the best MPS tuner in Australia

He / we do all the training, testing, map development and race car tuning

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    The Dyno graph doesn't even show a torque curve. Who is running this operation?

Gimme 10 minutes. Im gonna reverse engineer that power curve and see what the torque profile looks like....

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Here we go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3223840/Phot...ngineering.png

That Ecutek job is rubbish. All they did is up the boost and stop it from tapering off at high RPM. The fact it makes LESS power up until that point suggests they changed nothing else along the way.

If you want to call it a "shitty ecutek" tune then come and we will give you a refund if it was done by MRT!

MAX boost on any MRT MPS tune always tapers off at a set boost level, thats to save the engine from breaking a con rod

Both Gen 2's. You mean the gen 2 with red line yes? These cars were dynoed in 4th gear. I assume a 1:1 ratio it should be dynoed in 5th? Still fishy..

Quote Originally Posted by MRTBrett View Post

If you want to call it a "shitty ecutek" tune then come and we will give you a refund if it was done by MRT!

MAX boost on any MRT MPS tune always tapers off at a set boost level, thats to save the engine from breaking a con rod
    That tune isn't my car, it surely has to be from a dud dyno run. My own ECUTEK tune is fantastic.
    Last edited by Reedy; 14-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Both cars are GenIIs even though mine is a 09

Both done on the same day

Both done in 4th (which I have been told is not ideal, but is up for debate, apparently)

As previously stated, i did drive the other car and although down on power it's down on kW without the restrictions is much more drivable, and spools quicker and less hesitation than my stock vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MRTBrett View Post
    Hmmm
    something fishy here for sure
    were both cars tuned on the same day?
    what was the AFR's?
    The boost seems about right for the Gen 2 with EcuTeK
    We have done heaps of comparisons like this and never seen the data the same way
    What gear were they done in
    Why was the Gen 1 dyno stopped at 160 km / h ?
    and did they both have the same tyres and pressures as this can effect results a lot on a roller

BTW we are back next month so please call me and we can triple check everything is ok

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

A roller dyno will always read MUCH lower than a Hub dyno
    but 50 kw is a LOT lower and is lower than waht roller dynos do here in Sydney.
    I suspect the dyno is using different calibration data that is efefcted a lot by the input temp sensor...
    but thats just a guess
    however if one run was number 17 and the other 70 odd thats a LOT of time difference and inlet temps can have a 10 kw effect on variations alone!
    so what was the daytime, morning or arvo weather on the day?
    and was the dyno room running good air flow to the intercooler?

We have seen 15kw variation in power runs on the same car after multiple runs when air flow is poor
    I BET the car/s had no dedicated air duct to the top mounted Intercooler

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

"good tuner"
    If this was done by MRT Ben is the best MPS tuner in Australia

He / we do all the training, testing, map development and race car tuning

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Since my Horsepower Factory tune, I have visited 5 different dyno events, and each graph although different dynometres still showed I had a nice smooth curve identical to the original HPF graph. Nothing changed. Not the case here with the modded gen 2.

16. Default

I would like to do a free check of the Gen 2, even if we didn;t tune it
    after it has ecutek and it dont look good!

Brett
    can the owner please PM, or call me 0297674545
    even if they are in Melbourne we will be there in 4 weeks so can do as well

17. Default

I love my COBB.

Oh wait, wrong thread. Haha :-P

Hi to Jim and Brett. You guys handle yourselves much more professionally than the US companies. I commend you both on this attitude and wish you the best with all your tuning/workshop endeavours.

I dont think dynos are always the be all and end all however was very surprized at the results. I want to ask all the gen 2 owners out there what is the best 1/4 you have done to compare with my vehicle. I dont give a shit about bragging rights. I am one who wants to get the most out of what I currently have. Please be honest with your replies and PM me if you have to.

As stated before my best time is 14.1@103.77 With a 2,2 60 ft. If my tune gets a better power curve and output and my car goes backwards at the 1/4 I would prefer to keep it the way it is. I dont think this will happen but I am putting it out there anyway.

This is the slip from calder.
    Attached Files Attached Files

At Chiptorque last year, I managed 172 kwtw, no tune, SRI, DP and OzMPSClub sticker

Those results are very average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast