User Tag List

Thread: Dashhawk issue/Flashing security light

Default Dashhawk issue/Flashing security light

Not sure if anyone can help with this but have had an issue with my dashhawk for a while, think I know how the problem arose but not on how to get it fixed.

Basically my dashhawk was working fine for ages but the cable connection was at times a bit loose and sometimes when I removed it from the car the screen would flash and it would be reset to that main screen where you have to accept five times etc. The last time the dashhawk was working, when I removed it the screen had a massive flash and from that point on when I tried to use it I get an error message saying CAN communication not found. I am not sure if this was occurring before as well, but my security indicator light is always flashing now (car with key light).

I know the dashhawk is supposedly not able to communicate (write?) with the CAN/ECU but is only able to read the information, but is it possible this loose cable connection has shorted something out in the car?

I have it booked in for a service with a Mazda dealership (groan) this Sat so you would assume they will know how to fix it, but am worried I will get charged through the roof for the privilege. Was hoping some one with more knowledge might be able to tell me if it is possible to fix this myself. I have already checked the fuses in the car and they look okay to me.

Cheers
    AP V3 (Rayd tuned) / CP-E CAI / CP-E TIP / JBR Trilogy / CS Front Strut Brace / JBR SSP / JBR Shift Knob / JBR shifter bushings / Eibach Pro-Kit / Bilstein B8's / SURE Juggernaught / SURE Dreadnaught / Whiteline RSB / Toyo Proxes T1R 235/40/18 / Evo X BBS rims / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV / CP-E DP / CP-E TMIC / Autotech internals / Superpro bushings

Future mods:
    BT, DM OCC, EGR delete, Braided clutch/brake lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, DBA T3 rotors....

Quote Originally Posted by Fully6mps View Post
    Not sure if anyone can help with this but have had an issue with my dashhawk for a while, think I know how the problem arose but not on how to get it fixed.

Basically my dashhawk was working fine for ages but the cable connection was at times a bit loose and sometimes when I removed it from the car the screen would flash and it would be reset to that main screen where you have to accept five times etc. The last time the dashhawk was working, when I removed it the screen had a massive flash and from that point on when I tried to use it I get an error message saying CAN communication not found. I am not sure if this was occurring before as well, but my security indicator light is always flashing now (car with key light).

I know the dashhawk is supposedly not able to communicate (write?) with the CAN/ECU but is only able to read the information, but is it possible this loose cable connection has shorted something out in the car?

I have it booked in for a service with a Mazda dealership (groan) this Sat so you would assume they will know how to fix it, but am worried I will get charged through the roof for the privilege. Was hoping some one with more knowledge might be able to tell me if it is possible to fix this myself. I have already checked the fuses in the car and they look okay to me.

Cheers
    it hasnt actually buggered up the OBD port under the dash has it?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    it hasnt actually buggered up the OBD port under the dash has it?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    That's what I'm not sure about, the dashhawk seems to try to work when I plug it in but gives me the error message about no CAN communication so am assuming it at least recognises it is pluged into an OBD port. Not heaps cluey on electrical workings but am wondering if the dashhawk has somehow sent some sort of signal through the OBD port and stuffed something up in the ECU/OBD port etc.

I have looked at the workshop manual (yes, the 3000 page one) but what worries me is to diagnose most problems it seems that even the mechanic needs to plug into the OBD port! Worst case I will find out on Sat from the dealer what the problem is, will give an update then. At least the car isn't out of action I guess
    AP V3 (Rayd tuned) / CP-E CAI / CP-E TIP / JBR Trilogy / CS Front Strut Brace / JBR SSP / JBR Shift Knob / JBR shifter bushings / Eibach Pro-Kit / Bilstein B8's / SURE Juggernaught / SURE Dreadnaught / Whiteline RSB / Toyo Proxes T1R 235/40/18 / Evo X BBS rims / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV / CP-E DP / CP-E TMIC / Autotech internals / Superpro bushings

Future mods:
    BT, DM OCC, EGR delete, Braided clutch/brake lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, DBA T3 rotors....

I can't remember if I had the same error or not on my DH, but I had to reflash the firmware again (or maybe theres a hard reset..... was done a few years back), as it wouldn't bring up menus and had an error as soon as I plugged it in.
    I had removed it too fast from what the MSD forum said, even though it had turned off. So it had corruptted but after reflashing the DH again, all went well and it was back to working. Haven't had to do it ever since.
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 09-04-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Just a quick update, flashing light is apparently normal (not sure why I didn't notice it before?), dashhawk is now working but only when the engine is running (I swear I was able to use it with the engine off but the key in the On position but oh well, is working now at least!).
    Now I'm all set for a run to victor with an evo tomorrow bring on the windy roads!