User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member - hopefully new MPS 6 owner soon.

Default New member - hopefully new MPS 6 owner soon.

Hi All,

I'm an unhappy Big.Money.Waster owner and looking to go back to Japanese, and I've always loved the look and drive of the Mazda 6 MPS. A mate owns one and he's taken me on a couple of 'spirited rides' and that's sold me.

So as much as I love its handling & the toys (idrive, ipod, parking sensors etc - nothing I can't replicate in the 6), the BMW is out, and the MPS (when I find a good one) is in.

I wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums - the stuff I've learned about the MPS6 before I even own one will be invaluable when I go to make a purchase.

The only down-side to my driving is the morning commute up the Monash Freeway\car-park - I often see a Red MPS6 in the same traffic so I figure if he can handle the clutch in that traffic so can I.

I know the clutch won't be as friendly as some - but if anyone has any horror stories or advice about driving \ coping in stop-start traffic I'm all ears.

Thanks Again,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Hi All,

I'm an unhappy Big.Money.Waster owner and looking to go back to Japanese, and I've always loved the look and drive of the Mazda 6 MPS. A mate owns one and he's taken me on a couple of 'spirited rides' and that's sold me.

So as much as I love its handling & the toys (idrive, ipod, parking sensors etc - nothing I can't replicate in the 6), the BMW is out, and the MPS (when I find a good one) is in.

I wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums - the stuff I've learned about the MPS6 before I even own one will be invaluable when I go to make a purchase.

The only down-side to my driving is the morning commute up the Monash Freeway\car-park - I often see a Red MPS6 in the same traffic so I figure if he can handle the clutch in that traffic so can I.

I know the clutch won't be as friendly as some - but if anyone has any horror stories or advice about driving \ coping in stop-start traffic I'm all ears.

Thanks Again,
    Tim
    Neg. Do it!!!
    I'm lucky enough to have a 3 and a 6 mps and the 6 is much better for the commute.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Good hunting! Here's a one fine example to get you started, it's in WA though!

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...h001-sale.html

g'day bud go the 6 i got one as well and if ur from melbourne and need a hand i can help also if you need mod ideas feel free to ask already done a heap to my 6 hope you find one for the up and coming Vic cruze so we can all meet you

Cheers

Ax

Hi Tims.

Test drive every single one you can find.
    The clutch really isn't that bad. I stalled mine quite a few times during the first few weeks, but it's not as bad as some make out.
    If you happen to swing by Perth, you'd do worse than checking out KMH001.

Happy hunting,

Pete.

You may find the clutch to be a bit better post 2005 model, there was a tsb that was released for it and I believe after 2005-2006 it was a bit better. I have a 2005 and only stalled it the first time I took off, its really not that bad, its actually quite good when you get used to it. If you do get a tough one, do the simply clutch fix (takes 10 minutes) it makes a world of difference.

Thanks Shakespeare,

I've read quite a few of your posts with great interest!

A great looking car & well priced too - but while I'm technically minded I don't have the mechanical skills (yet) do a car that at that level proper justice.
    I'm looking for something that's stock to get me started.. Preferably silver, preferably an 06 or an 07 around or less than 80Ks.

I've got a bit on my plate at present (sorry for the delayed response to everyone) so I'll probably pick up the search again in late May / early June once I have a chance to breathe.

Cheers,
    Tim.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Hey Pete,

I came very close to buying a red '07 luxury that was in Berwick out in south east vic that was owned by a guy who was FIFO to the mines in WA.. low K's and well maintained from what I saw... I test drove and LOVED it, was ready to buy but alas work got in the way and it was sold before I could make an offer. (Anyone here buy that one by any chance?)

On that particular drive, the owner commented that he couldn't believe that I hadn't stalled it. We did hit a bit of traffic during the drive but I don't think the clutch police had anything to charge me with.

Cheers,
    Tim.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Dazza - clutch mod instructions I think I've seen posted in the forums .. I'm looking for an 06/07 so probably\hopefully don't need it but thanks for the tip!

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Axspeed6;211265]g'day bud go the 6 i got one as well and if ur from melbourne and need a hand i can help also if you need mod ideas feel free to ask already done a heap to my 6 hope you find one for the up and coming Vic cruze so we can all meet you

That is one nice looking collection of Mod's.. Thank's for the offer of assistance - I might take you up on that at some stage. Happy to pay in beer/spirits/money/joy rides in a Cessna.

Looking forward to joining in the cruze's - some good miles and a bit of spirited driving plus getting to know a few of you will be great.

Cheers,
    Tim

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Jmac;211190]Neg. Do it!!!
    I'm lucky enough to have a 3 and a 6 mps and the 6 is much better for the commute.

Thanks Jmac - Interesting you say the 6 is better for the commute, I would have thought the 3 would have been a lighter car and easier clutch?.. but that said I've not driven a 3 and only driven a couple of 6's.

Sounds like you do have the best of both worlds though with a 3 and a 6!! I'm really, really looking forward to owning a 6.

8. Default

Mate, good choice getting a 6 the clutch is no problem at all with trafficky commutes. It's easy to get very smooth starts. Only thing is that the engine doesn't like the traffic very much... I've got gauges in mine and oil temp goes up close to 100 degrees sometimes in traffic. That's with me turning the engine off whenever I get the chance lol. And there is worse traffic out there than that which I experience. But for "other" purposes, this car is great

Cheers mpsdaniel,

I can't wait to get in to one. Thanks for the tip about the oil temp, I'll keep an eye on that and might even get a gauge installed..

That said I think my current BMW gets fairly warm too. On showery days I've had steam coming off the bonnet (off, not from under!) but with all the BMW iDrive toys I still have no temp gauge, but I've never had a temp warning other than one telling me to watch for black ice on one or two particularly cold mornings.

10. Default

Just posted mine for sale - I'm in Vic, the car is Silver, but over 80K kms and it's a 2005 model, so guess you are interested.

Clutch is fine in traffic

I just sold a BMW 535i Msport to get into a MPS. The overriding reason was as you said - 'big money waster', or 'breaks my wallet'. Bimmer also lacked grunt.....

I also do the commute up the Monash or Dandenong Rd. After owning a pretty ballsy/heavy clutched Stagea RS4s (prior to the bmw) I swore I'd never own a manual for commuting duties again, but the MPS feels nothing like that in terms of liveability.

I say go for it, but best way is to drive a few and try drive it in a few different ways. Most people just trundle a car along politely when they test drive, with owner looking on. My advice is to drive it every way you plan to ever drive it in that short amount of time. Stop/start, freeway cruise, and dont be afraid to give it a hoof!

13. Default

Yeah that sounds similar to my experience. I assume close to 100 degrees is a bit too hot for the engine's liking, but I'm not entirely sure. BTW I run 5W-30 oil as recommended by the manufacturer. Might need to change though after doing a few mods. Does anyone have any insight to add on oil temps? Is 100 too hot for the MZR with 5W-30? If so, what sort of damage can be inflicted at that temp?

Cheers mpsdaniel,

I can't wait to get in to one. Thanks for the tip about the oil temp, I'll keep an eye on that and might even get a gauge installed..

That said I think my current BMW gets fairly warm too. On showery days I've had steam coming off the bonnet (off, not from under!) but with all the BMW iDrive toys I still have no temp gauge, but I've never had a temp warning other than one telling me to watch for black ice on one or two particularly cold mornings.

Hi All,

Sorry for the lax responses - things at work have been taking up about 120% of my time & energy.

That said, I had -80% capacity left to locate an appropriate MPS6.

My base requirements were;
    - An '06 or '07 luxury model
    - Liquid silver
    - Low Kms
    - Factory stock with no 'over the top' mod history
    - Nil accident history
    - Good mechanical history and sound RACV check
    - Good overall condition.

It's been a big of a slog (12 months looking) and I'm happy to report that while the deal is not done and dusted just yet, (as in, I don't have the keys in my pocket yet) yesterday I put a serious deposit down on a vehicle that matches my checklist.

I collect the vehicle at the end of the month and I can't wait. I'll send a confirmation when its all official & photos when I get it home.

PS: I'm not putting ozmpsclub stickers on it until someone cards me ;-)

tims

Exciting times Tims. Hope the sale comes through. Make sure you spend some money getting it checked over by someone qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsdaniel View Post
    Yeah that sounds similar to my experience. I assume close to 100 degrees is a bit too hot for the engine's liking, but I'm not entirely sure. BTW I run 5W-30 oil as recommended by the manufacturer. Might need to change though after doing a few mods. Does anyone have any insight to add on oil temps? Is 100 too hot for the MZR with 5W-30? If so, what sort of damage can be inflicted at that temp?
    100 isnt unusual for ECT (coolant), not sure about oil temps... Ill need to check my dashhawk.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Hi All,

Sorry for the lax responses - things at work have been taking up about 120% of my time & energy.

That said, I had -80% capacity left to locate an appropriate MPS6.

My base requirements were;
    - An '06 or '07 luxury model
    - Liquid silver
    - Low Kms
    - Factory stock with no 'over the top' mod history
    - Nil accident history
    - Good mechanical history and sound RACV check
    - Good overall condition.

It's been a big of a slog (12 months looking) and I'm happy to report that while the deal is not done and dusted just yet, (as in, I don't have the keys in my pocket yet) yesterday I put a serious deposit down on a vehicle that matches my checklist.

I collect the vehicle at the end of the month and I can't wait. I'll send a confirmation when its all official & photos when I get it home.

PS: I'm not putting ozmpsclub stickers on it until someone cards me ;-)

tims
    Where is it now? Ill get someone to card it before you get it

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Thanks Yeldarb,

I did do that and it appears to be in pretty good condition. Front discs are low, compression (relative) came up good, turbo seems good etc. The owner is an older gent and its always been serviced by Mazda with no major history of issues.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Lol that'll take all the fun out of it Jmac ;-)

Hi All,

I'm happy to say that I have the new toy at home. It drives unbelievably well, and has been very well looked after.
    I'll send photos as soon as I get a few minutes free.

wahoo!

Hi All,

I'm happy to say that I have the new toy at home. It drives unbelievably well, and has been very well looked after.
    I'll send photos as soon as I get a few minutes free.

wahoo!
    Loving life?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast