User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member - In the market for 08 MPS

Tempted to go custom plates ... 5MOKEY....has been my forum name all over the place for the last 10yrs....

And 180 bucks for license plate brackets?!?! Am I missing something?!!!

Welcome Smokey, just go to a bursons and get the plate covers there about $40.

What brackets were you looking at for $180?

Yeh cool - I have some spare number plate covers laying around somewhere.

Brackets I was referring to are the ones Peter linked to. $90 for front and back - and no offence, appear to just be some laser cut/predrilled sheets of 2mm steel. Can understand the angled version for the front of the Gen II....but seems less necessary for Gen I.

Custom number plate brackets for 2006 - 2009 Mazda 3 MPS

Because the car has NSW plates on it which are diff sizes to Vic plates, i'm not sure how they have been mounted or what holes have been drilled anyway - so I'll just do whatever is neatest.

Thoughts on the personalised plates? I've always steered clear because i've thought it attracts the wrong attention and my previous cars have mostly been less than legal in the eyes of the law/EPA. But the MPS is a bit of a sleeper so could do with a pump up! I'm thinking though, $600 would better be spent on mods.....definitely mods.

Custom plates are last on my list after all my mods but each to their own.

Normally I'd agree but planned mods for this car are purely cosmetic (aside from an intake to please my ears.)

So with that said, custom plates are ordered! (went with something different too).

haha, cosmetics and personalised plates were the first things on my list, needed to learn how to handle the MPS's power first and well now the rest has come and gone but onto cosmetics lol

Personalised plates never got me any trouble and I had them on for a few years, selling them now though.

Subjective. I have never had personalised plates and been sent to EPA for testing twice without even being pulled over.

I think personalised they just say 'car enthusiast' more than anything else, and the public/police interprets 'car enthusiast' as 'hoon'. Also makes it a little easier for disgruntled members of society to remember/report you.

Can also depend on what the plate says. Things like 'COPB-8', 'KIL-HSV', 'NVMYVL', 'EPA-DIS' or 'DFCTME' usually have an undesireable effect......

The plates i've ordered just say 'MPS-MPS'.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 17-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Car arrived on transporter today. Waiting at depot for me to pick up.

Can't get there until tomorrow! Argh!

Picked up this morning. Very happy boy. Needs a couple of shopping dints taken out, and some serious detailing outside and in (especially inside) but i can tell it will come up mint.

And so it begins!

Congrats man

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

i know you only just got it but there is a Mighty Cars Mod melbourne meet only down the road from you
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...cmmeetedit.jpg

My friends and I will be going down, i've never been to a Mighty Car meet before so not sure what to expect. If your free pop down
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

12. Default

Pics ! Funny im in the exact situation but im from NSW and getting my metro grey 08 MPS from MELB - cant wait !

Nice one - I don't know if the car is presentable yet, needs some detailing bad. plus nsw rego runs out on 21st and can't get it Vic rego'd till the personalized plates arrive next week so it's going in the garage for a bit. I reckon that would be a massive meet though.

Hah, no way! Dave, was yours on carsales? There was a mint one with SFA km's but pricey.

Early impressions are good - only negs so far are :

super close 4,5,6 gears - I'm already skipping 4th.

Speedo goes to 280.... NFI why. Means that legal speeds barely register and hard to read at a glance.

Toy car horn.

Haha the horn very muc sucks. But gives me a a good laugh.

I normally skip a gear eerytime I have to get to 80. Only time I use all 6 is getting to 100 or 110. Even then sometimes there is skips. Is normally 5th that I skip. Glad that you are liking the car so far! So wanna go to a mighty car mods meet one day..

Question - do these things run very rich in the top end under WOT? I booted it away from the lights last night and all I could see in the treat view mirror was low clouds of unburnt fuel vapor pouring out?

Yes they do. It's part of how the engine preserves itself and also keeps the turbo cool(er)

Most of the Zoom Zoom Boom stories you hear are related to people messing with A/F ratios and leaning them out too far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Haha. Zoom zoom boom. I got a laugh out of that.

Caffeine fiend: going to get stuck intk cleaning the interior. Question; is the leather real leather? The brochure suggests some 'hard wearing surfaces' are synthetic. if i treat mine with leatherique will it absorb?

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Haha. Zoom zoom boom. I got a laugh out of that.

Caffeine fiend: going to get stuck intk cleaning the interior. Question; is the leather real leather? The brochure suggests some 'hard wearing surfaces' are synthetic. if i treat mine with leatherique will it absorb?
    The leather is 'real' leather, but my understanding is that it is a heavy-weight, treated leather, hence why it is a different type and feel to the leather you find in many prestige cars. As a result it is quit hard wearing and therefore shouldn't need too much to maintain

Leatherique should work fine, but it won't have the 'suppling' effect as much as it would on other leather types

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post

Hah, no way! Dave, was yours on carsales? There was a mint one with SFA km's but pricey.

Toy car horn.
    Ye thats the one with the 14XXX kms - it was a bit pricey but hopefully its as clean as the ad says

Nice that car looked a treat. Out of my price range but would be a great pick up if you prefer gen 1 over gen 2.

Cfiend, I will give the leatherique a go. It worked really well on my BMW - a bitch to apply but results were awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12