User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - Silver Subaru Liberty Wagon

Default Dan's Garage - Silver Subaru Liberty Wagon

Like the Audi I did a little while ago, this Subaru suffered from a multitude of small nicks and scratches all over it. Also there was a large amount of oxidisation build up.

Due to the colour of the car and me still struggling with a crappy camera that won't manually focus. Most of the the pics of the scratches along the sides simply didn't come out.

Two did come out, so I want you to imagine both sides of the car littered with this sort of damage:

There were also a few nasty scratches on the bonnet:

and on the rear tailgate (as you'd expect for a station wagon):

Quite badly faded plastics:

I was also presented with an issue regarding the rear windscreen lip, but more on that later

After the usual foam wash, mixed a 50/50 blend of heavy duty truckwash and APC (All Purpose Cleaner) for this one because of the oxidisation

It got a full Iron-X decontamination (which took quite a bit of the oxidisation off):

Then it got a hand wash with liberal amounts of APC under the guards, which loosened what seemed like a good couple of kilos of mud (it just kept coming out lol)

And then it got pulled into the garage for a claybar. As you can see there was still a LOT of oxidisation to be lifted:

After effectively the whole morning spent on washing and decontaminating, I was able to get a good look at the paint surface and take some paint depth

measurements

A better look of that tailgate damage:

I was also able to take a good look at the rear windscreen lip, on which the clear coat had completely failed:

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 01-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Due to the nature and sheer number of scratches down both sides of the car, I decided it would achieve a better result and actually faster to spot wet-sand, rather than heavily correct entire panels. The bonnet and tailgate also got the same treatment. The roof, thankfully, only needed very light correction

Bonnet - 2000 Grit:

Bonnet - 2500 Grit

Final Result (Flex rotary + Orange CCS + Optimum Compound II. Then a second pass with White CCS and Optimum GPS):

Both sides got the spot sanding treatment:

After:

Tailgate, post wet-sand and correction:

The rear windscreen lip got a layer of Opticoat to try to build some clear back onto it and give a basis to build some gloss:

It wasn't perfect, but it was at least much better than the completely matte surface it was before.

Headlight 50/50:

Taillight restoration:

Plastics and rubber 50/50s

Door handles - Before:

and after:

Total time 17hrs over two days.

Thanks for looking

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Monster effort Dan. I would have shat myself if I'd try spot polishing...I'm particularly impressed with the plastics on the windscreen...What did you use?

Only been on this forum a short time, but always look forward to your latest efforts mate. Love the results, now I just need to convince the better half to let me buy a decent polisher so I can start learning how to do this!

Very impressive stuff, I hope you've started making some decent money off this venture!!!

Thanks mate. I had good paint depth levels, so was quite confident a good result could be achieved and still leave decent clear depth

Re the plastics, I used Pre-Wow from ZAS.

Dan

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 17sjs View Post
    Only been on this forum a short time, but always look forward to your latest efforts mate. Love the results, now I just need to convince the better half to let me buy a decent polisher so I can start learning how to do this!

Very impressive stuff, I hope you've started making some decent money off this venture!!!
    Great stuff, and thanks for the compliments

If I can be of any assistance let me know

What are u charging out of interest ?

Sent from my iPhone using my iFingers

Bravo! Bravo! Good show! I'm going to do a correction on my car after the new bumper goes on... I have a couple that I would think need the 2000 grit wet and dry... but I don't quite thing I have the right touch for that yet!

Truly impressive Dan, you got the skills!!!

Quote Originally Posted by raffa View Post
    What are u charging out of interest ?

Sent from my iPhone using my iFingers
    Depends on what people want done, but generally speaking, I start at $250 for a single day exterior detail for a small/medium car. $350 for two day details with sealant based paint protection. $500 for two day details and Ceramic Polymer based paint protection (again, small/medium cars). For custom work, like concours prep etc, price is variable depending on the level of work required and the condition of the car, but it can easily exceed $1000 and several days. Those sort of jobs are a case by case quote basis. PM me for full details

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Bravo! Bravo! Good show! I'm going to do a correction on my car after the new bumper goes on... I have a couple that I would think need the 2000 grit wet and dry... but I don't quite thing I have the right touch for that yet!
    Thanks mate

Be very cautious when wet-sanding Mazdas in particular (let alone any car), as they have very thin paint from the factory. The current crop of Mazda 3 MPSs seems to sit at around 120-130 microns or so from what I've seen. Sometimes, if a dealer has given it a hard pre-delivery compound, paint levels will be well below that before you even take delivery! I will use it only as a last resort and only after having taken comprehensive paint depth measurements to ensure there are good paint levels to work with. Anything below around 110 microns I won't touch with sandpaper. I'm also cautious if I have to do heavy compounding on paint that thin.

As a contrast, this Subi was up over 130 microns in most areas. Many euro cars can be up over 200 microns. Re-finished/resprayed panels can sometimes be up over 400 microns.

As much as I'd love to wet-sand out the orange peel on my car, I just can't as even with the only very light correction mine has seen, it's sitting at less than 100 microns on some parts of the car, most of which I reckon has been blown pre-delivery as I sure as hell haven't ground through 40 odd microns.....not even close.

Mazda paint is THIN even by Japanese standards. Be wary

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    Truly impressive Dan, you got the skills!!!
    Thanks Kev. If I'm ever doing a Scottish tour I'll let you know

Well i have 2x Mazda 3's you can tidy up if you're ever in Sydney...

*Hint Hint* *Nudge Nudge*

You have done it again Dan! Have you ever had a failure or had to tell someone sorry but its too far gone?

Thanks Al

Not as yet. Not for a full car. I've had spots on cars where I've had to say to people "I did what I could, but it's not perfect" usually as a result of scratches being too deep or paint being too thin. Can't do a lot if there isn't paint there to begin with unfortunately

I'll have an FD RX-7 (blue) coming up in a couple of months which will make everything I've done to date look like chicken-feed. Major work needed on this thing. If anything is going to break me it'll be this one

Will be an epic resto though. Quite looking forward to it. Just have to organise a date with the owner where I can have it for a week or two

I'm looking forward to that one Dan. Get yourself a better camera though.
    Want to see the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I'm looking forward to that one Dan. Get yourself a better camera though.
    Want to see the details.
    Yeah definitely. Angling for some money towards one for my birthday. Just have to make sure the money doesn't get "diverted" to a Flex DA polisher instead

So many things I want lol

Hey dan, just out of curiosity how many layers of wax do you apply? Is more layers always better?

Hi Ben,

Depends on the car, the wax I'm using, and what other prep has gone on underneath it

For the sealant based paint protection jobs I do, I normally only apply a single layer of wax as it's more for looks than protection. The sealant under it is what provides the protection.

For single day detail work and concours work with no paint protection I will often double up on wax layers to give a little added protection. Again though it's dependant on the car and therefore the type of wax I use (I have different waxes that respond better to different colours and different applications). Waxes are almost a science unto themselves

Normally though, for a daily driver, a single layer of a wax like Banana Gloss is ample for gloss and protection. Keep it simple

Wow such an in depth reply, thanks! keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Thanks mate. I had good paint depth levels, so was quite confident a good result could be achieved and still leave decent clear depth

Re the plastics, I used Pre-Wow from ZAS.

Dan

This one Dan?
    http://www.zas.com.au/product_browse...;x=70&y=17
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

i'd be interested if you do a sydney detailing tour!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast