User Tag List

Thread: Product Warnings - The NOT to use file for detailing products

Thumbs down Product Warnings - The NOT to use file for detailing products

As a good number of us know, the plethora of products available for detailing our pride and joys is almost endless.

Some of the more obsessed detailers like Dan and myself try a large variety of products during the course of assisting others in keeping the shine shiney.

This thread has been started to warn others of potentially disasterous products that have been fobbed off as detailing gear.

Ill get the ball rolling with quite possibly the most useless and possibly dangerous product I have ever seen...Quite a claim huh. Well read on.

Meguiars Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover

Pros: NONE

Cons: You can think of it, this product will deliver.

Comments:

Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover applies out of a spray pack in a dense foam. Rubbing will produce a greasy surface film. From usage I found it to have almost no ability to remove anything!!

The real danger in this product is twofold.

1) If you follow the package directions for application and removal you WILL damage your duco, there are no doubts on my part here.

2) This is possibly the most difficult product to remove I have seen. It is not water soluble for a start, you can spray it for a week and its greasy consistency will resist removal. I finally resorted to using full strength Optimum Car wash to break it down enough to hose off.
    Even with high strength cleaners this stuff will not come off without contact washing, and is still very resistant to removal.
    This means you will find it will lodge in any gap or screw head, and unless you can reach it physically, it will not come off.

Final Verdict:

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!

At this time I am sending an email to Meguiars to remove this product from sale, on the basis of potentially catastrophic results from using it.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Wow that sucks Jace. Haven't ever used that product before. I've found that aside from a couple of exceptions in the Megs range, I've not been too impressed with their products. Mainly though as a function of cost vs effectiveness.

Either way, will avoid this product. Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thanks Jas. That stuff would be in every Repco and Supercheap around the country.

Meguiars Interior foaming cleaner/conditioner.

+ a little goes a long way. + nice smell.+ no petroleum chemicals or oily film BUT,
    the cans always run out of gas and u are left with a can of 3/4 full foam/fluid that u cant use.
    Expensive waste ,happened 3 times now and refuse to reuse.

I second the OP for Meguiars Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover. Stuff is sh1te. What's more if you happen to get over spray on any of the black plastics, they'll be bleached / stained for the foreseeable future... Very disappointing product.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Can we just add Armor All as a blanket brand here???

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post

Final Verdict:

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!

At this time I am sending an email to Meguiars to remove this product from sale, on the basis of potentially catastrophic results from using it.
    Also maybe contact the guys at ZAS and let them know. They may stop selling it as they tend to be pretty engaged with the community..

(Meguiar's Gold Class Bug And Tar Remover 473ml G10716)

Im talking to the GM at Meguiars Aus at the moment.

Will see what pans out. They are rightly quite concerned.

Want to re test the product with the data I have given them.

Keep us posted please. We are very interested in what they have to say. If the product needs dropping from our range, it will be done.

Reminds me of this thread regarding Meguiars Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner: Antilag Forums

Quoted below if you can't view it....

Just making this topic as today I discovered that a product I was about to buy could be dangerous.

I would advise people not to buy or use this product as I feel the warnings on the label are not sufficient. Being a chemist and working with Hydroflouric Acid (HF) I know of the dangers of the substance. We use concentrated HF (48%) but it is strictly controlled with Fumehood, face shield, rubber gloves, leather apron, running water, calcium gluconate gel, safety showers and an onsite medic with calcium tablets/solution to inject into the affected site.

This product contains chemicals that mix and produce HF (even if in small quantities). This product has the potential to produce 0.2% HF (2,000 ppm) and, with a boiling point of 19 degC, potential for all of that to become a gas.

HF is fatally toxic to people as it attacks calcium (found in bones and bone marrow).
    Personally, i'd stay the frack away from it, and definately not risk using it on my car (be it with bare hands or even rubber gloves).

Here is a link to the MSDS (quite long, but first few pages are notable): http://www.meguiars.com.au/msds/G14024.pdf

Here is an extract from Wikipedia about concentrated HF:
    Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is a solution of hydrogen fluoride in water. Hydrogen fluoride gas is a severe poison that may immediately and permanently damage lungs and the corneas of the eyes. Water solutions (hydrofluoric acid) are a contact-poison with the potential for deep, initially painless burns, with later tissue death. By interfering with body calcium metabolism, the concentrated acid may also cause systemic toxicity and eventual cardiac arrest and fatality, after contact with as little as 160 cm2 (24.8 square inches) of skin.
    Hydrogen Fluoride: Toxicology and Poisoning
    Description: Colorless gas or fuming liquid; weak solutions have the appearance of water.
    Warning properties: Disagreeable, pungent odor at <1 ppm; irritation of eyes and throat at 3 ppm
    OSHA PEL (permissible exposure limit) = 3 ppm (averaged over an 8-hour workshift)
    OSHA STEL (short term exposure limit) = 6 ppm ( 15-minute sample)
    NIOSH IDLH (immediately dangerous to life or health) = 30 ppm ERPG-2 (emergency response planning guideline) = 20 ppm
    Often, patients exposed to HF (<20%) initially are asymptomatic; effects can be delayed 12 to 24 hours.

Personally I think it's just 'Meguiars Natural Selection', Killing off people with vulgar chrome rims.
    Last edited by dmwill; 05-04-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmwill View Post
    personally i think it's just 'meguiars natural selection', killing off people with vulgar chrome rims.
    :lol:

I find the armor all bug and tar remover ok. Does the job without being too harsh

As mentioned, I think Megs are a bit hit and miss with their products.

Some of them, like Ultimate Compound, their Convertible cleaner and Weatherproofer products, Plastx, and their No Smear Glass Cleaner are fantastically good and have a regular place in my product collection.

I don't tend to go near their Quick Detailers, Shampoos, Waxes, All In One products, or their MF towels mainly because I know there's better out there for the same price or cheaper.