User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU wiped out??

Default ECU wiped out??

Yesterday i was driving along and the car started to jerk violently before RPMs dropped to zero and stalled the car. After that the car wouldnt switch on and I noticed the IMmobiliser light blinking several times in a sequence. So tried several things:

Attempted:
    - removing the negative off the battery for a few minutes to reset it - didnt help
    - Using spare key - didnt help
    - tried to reprogram the keys? i found some stuff on other forums for that - didnt help
    - RACQ - didnt help

Now its at the Mazda dealership and has been there the whole day. Its end of the day and they havent been able to figure the problem out and have told me it seems the ECU has been wiped out :S

Anyone know of this sort of problem and can help? It's kind of odd...

**UPDATE

Just called up mazda and they still havent figured the problem out, say most likely replace the ECU since its covered under warranty still but just need to negotiate with Mazda head office.
    Last edited by MPSDAN; 27-03-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Current Mods

Cobb Accessport 2XS SRI Protege TIP COBB Tuning Downpipe COBB Catback Exhaust HDI GT2 Pro FMIC HKS SSQ CPE ByPass Valve Autotech Fuel Pump DGR Coilovers Remsa Brake Pads TRW Brake Disks 2XS Short Shift Plate CPE Rear Engine Mount (75 Duro) Defi Boost Gauge JBarone Heavy Gear Knob JBarone Solid Shifter Bushings Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps Mugen Weather Shields Kumho KU31 225/40R18 6000K HID Kit for Low Beam + Fogs COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Denso ITV22

Well i dont know what caused it, but i can simpersize with you having euc issues!

ECU wiped out???

There is really only a couple of things I could think of that would do that.

One is a power surge into the ECU itself, never heard of it happening but suppose it would do the job.

The other is that I noticed you have a SRI and TIP, did your clamp, where the SRI elbow meets the TIP, rub through your main wiring loom coming out of the ECU module?

This is a known issue, and has caused damage to one members wiring loom.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    ECU wiped out???

One is a power surge into the ECU itself, never heard of it happening but suppose it would do the job.

The other is that I noticed you have a SRI and TIP, did your clamp, where the SRI elbow meets the TIP, rub through your main wiring loom coming out of the ECU module?

i would think what jase said would be spot on.. sounds like what happened to another members car.
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

Does it kick over? Does alarm have bypass? May be stuffed immobiliser..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ECU wiped out???

This could be a problem as that bolt for the SRI to the TIP is very close to the ecu wires, but i had inspected it already and didnt see any problem :S

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Does it kick over? Does alarm have bypass? May be stuffed immobiliser..

sorry but what do you mean kick over? I guess i will call up mazda again tomorrow to find out.
    Current Mods

Cobb Accessport 2XS SRI Protege TIP COBB Tuning Downpipe COBB Catback Exhaust HDI GT2 Pro FMIC HKS SSQ CPE ByPass Valve Autotech Fuel Pump DGR Coilovers Remsa Brake Pads TRW Brake Disks 2XS Short Shift Plate CPE Rear Engine Mount (75 Duro) Defi Boost Gauge JBarone Heavy Gear Knob JBarone Solid Shifter Bushings Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps Mugen Weather Shields Kumho KU31 225/40R18 6000K HID Kit for Low Beam + Fogs COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Denso ITV22

Start... Like the starter motor..

? Did u fk the wiring up or something installing the Box? This seems weird dood. Hope u get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    ? Did u fk the wiring up or something installing the Box? This seems weird dood. Hope u get it sorted.
    na i havent installed it yet, i was waiting to find an auto electrician to do the connections for me.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Start... Like the starter motor..

nope was silent
    Current Mods

I think a forum member had a coil pack blow up which wiped out their ECU as well, interested to see what happens here.

ECU wiped out???

This has happened on a number of occasions, for some reason a few of these kits are being supplied (unnecessarily) with t-bolt hose clamps, the clamps are migrating during normal driving which are wearing through, and consequently shorting out the main loom, which if you are unlucky enough could cause a short that would fry the ECU.

Hope you sort it out quickly, and hopefully not too costly
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Got a breakthrough.

Not a good one but they tell me it was a foreign 10mm bolt that had crushed the coilpack above the sparkplugs and shorted the electricals..Not good and i have to fork out $300+ for the new coilpack and fingers crossed no other damages caused by the high voltage.

So im told the bolt may have been left behind by removing the top mount intercooler. But i've never had the intercooler removed. If i was to install a downpipe, would i remove the top mount intercooler? cause im thinking whether it was the garage that did my turboback exhaust that may have screwed up.

Wonder if i can claim anything off them :S
    Last edited by MPSDAN; 28-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Current Mods

good luck with claiming. They have to remove your intercooler to get the DP out

You got 99 problems

But the chip ain't one

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    You got 99 problems

But the chip ain't one

So i had a closer inspection of the engine bay, and what i can see very clearly is a bolt is missing from the turbo heat shield. im guessing exotic exhaust that were responsible for the installation of the downpipe had put in the wrong bolt or the bolt had loosened itself whilst i been driving.

Anyways so phoned up exotic exhaust to tell them what had happened and they began accusing the exhaust itself and accusing it being faulty and sh*t to install. They are saying the Cobb exhaust is Sh*t lol!

So they pretty much spoke on top of me and hung up.

Kinda disappointing because their service was good up til now.
    Current Mods

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    You got 99 problems

But the chip ain't one
    That is GOLD!!!!!

s True, who the fk is exotic exhaust

and can i just say, offcourse they are gonna deny it cause then it'll come outta their pocket for the fixing up. They're obviously kinda CBF to even do a investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by MPSDAN View Post
    So i had a closer inspection of the engine bay, and what i can see very clearly is a bolt is missing from the turbo heat shield. im guessing exotic exhaust that were responsible for the installation of the downpipe had put in the wrong bolt or the bolt had loosened itself whilst i been driving.

Anyways so phoned up exotic exhaust to tell them what had happened and they began accusing the exhaust itself and accusing it being faulty and sh*t to install. They are saying the Cobb exhaust is Sh*t lol!

So they pretty much spoke on top of me and hung up.

Kinda disappointing because their service was good up til now.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Na on the phone they said if its to do with the exhaust then they have nothing to do with it and its faulty, but if its anything else then they will deal with it. So really they have no choice because i have enough proof he did it. lack of attention in screwing back the bolts for the heat shield and forgetting to tighten the worm screw for the HKS BOV lol!

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    s True, who the fk is exotic exhaust

and can i just say, offcourse they are gonna deny it cause then it'll come outta their pocket for the fixing up. They're obviously kinda CBF to even do a investigation.
    Current Mods

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPSDAN View Post
    Na on the phone they said if its to do with the exhaust then they have nothing to do with it and its faulty, but if its anything else then they will deal with it. So really they have no choice because i have enough proof he did it. lack of attention in screwing back the bolts for the heat shield and forgetting to tighten the worm screw for the HKS BOV lol!
    Bad luck....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast