User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet filter = disaster.

Default Wet filter = disaster.

Well today I was fixing my ssp, needed to make some adjustments with the factory box interfering with the ssp. In the process I decided to clean my filter, gave it a nice wash and all. I silly enough, didn't let it dry enough and I placed of back in. Took the car for a spin, put my foot down and the engine would literally shut off and jerk once I reached a certain boost and rpm. Tried it couple more times, and it kept happening... Like something was cutting off the power at a certain point. I quickly went back home opened the air filter and found some water... :$
    Took the filter out and went for a test run, happened once more and after that it went back to normal. Even went close to red line with no issues. I was scared as hell that my engine may have gotten water logged or something, but phew! Any explanations for what happened? Perhaps not enough air could pass through that damp filter?

JBR Short Shift plate, JBR Solid Bushing, 18" Black with Silver Lip Ox Wheel, CS SRI, CS TIP, CS Airbox, 3" Double Walled exhaust TIP,
    RDA front & rear slotted rotors, Remsa pads
    , CS Rear Sway Bar, JBR rear engine mount and transmission mount

Hope that wasnt the OEM air filter ,as they are not made to be washed . It will disintergrate !
    A minute amount of water being ingested through the throttle plate wont cause too much of an issue (water does not combust) ,but a reasonable amount can be fatal.
    Hopefully lesson learned. Only use specific filters that can be washed and reused once dry .IE (K&N) etc.

it was an OEM filter! Lesson definitely learnt.. My corksport Sri is on the way, thank god.

yeah water and paper don't mix.

5. Default

water hits your MAF and created a low voltage current which confuses your ECU which in turn made your car act the way it did. Try not to do it again coz a MAF can cost slightly over the $200 mark.
    I would suggest you clean your MAF sensor during each service so i remains clean. Clean MAF=better readings

Hope the filter maintained its structure, or you have will have made your turbo's compressor wheel a 100000 rpm paper shredder

Id be checking the filter mate...

Maybe don't use it till your SRI arrives...

I've checked the filter, it seems to be pretty rigid. Doesnt show signs of wear and tear. Would it be safe driving without a filter though?

Quote Originally Posted by imiz89 View Post
    I've checked the filter, it seems to be pretty rigid. Doesnt show signs of wear and tear. Would it be safe driving without a filter though?
    uhhh. no. Also not safe driving with a filter that has bits coming off it either through .
    Purpose of the filter is so dirt/objects do not make their way into your engine.....
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    uhhh. no. Also not safe driving with a filter that has bits coming off it either through .
    Purpose of the filter is so dirt/objects do not make their way into your engine.....
    Rather than it being the cause of things flying into your engine I meant don't use the car till your filter arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Rather than it being the cause of things flying into your engine I meant don't use the car till your filter arrived...
    That's puts me in a sticky spot, I need my car. I'll see the condition of the filter when I get home. Last time I checked the filter wasnt soft, nor did it show signs of tearing. Seemed pretty solid to me. Worst case, I'll buy a replacement oem filter for the time being.

JBR Short Shift plate, JBR Solid Bushing, 18" Black with Silver Lip Ox Wheel, CS SRI, CS TIP, CS Airbox, 3" Double Walled exhaust TIP,

I would just buy a new filter and be done with it, saves any chance of the existing one failing, even though it may feel OK now, if it were to disintegrate and Mazda see bits of filter paper in your turbo you wont get very far with a warranty claim either.

Quote Originally Posted by imiz89 View Post
    That's puts me in a sticky spot, I need my car. I'll see the condition of the filter when I get home. Last time I checked the filter wasnt soft, nor did it show signs of tearing. Seemed pretty solid to me. Worst case, I'll buy a replacement oem filter for the time being.
    Go to supercheap auto and get a filter then.

i wouldn't drive it with the current filter in it.

You seriously washed the paper OEM filter, put it back in wet, wondered why the car didn't work properly and now want to keep driving it with that filter in until you buy another one? What on earth were you thinking?

I needed a laugh today, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    You seriously washed the paper OEM filter, put it back in wet, wondered why the car didn't work properly and now want to keep driving it with that filter in until you buy another one? What on earth were you thinking?

I needed a laugh today, thank you!
    It wasn't wet!! Lol. it was slightly damp
    Didn't drive the car till this morning, the filter was well dry by then. Left it under the heater.
    On my way my to super cheap guys!

Btw what is an Oem filter made of, because everyone is describing it to be paper like. This filter may not be Oem for all I know! I bought the car used. Is it meant to be red?

Red could mean a K&N panel filter was in the airbox, was the filter oily before your cleaning attempt?

The OEM paper filters were a nice shade of pink/red too from memory (or yellow), but would have felt dry to touch rather than oily.

Edit: Pic of a K&N panel filter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k33332293_1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	10660  
    Last edited by TD; 26-03-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    Red could mean a K&N panel filter was in the airbox, was the filter oily before your cleaning attempt?

The OEM paper filters were a nice shade of pink/red too from memory (or yellow), but would have felt dry to touch rather than oily.

Edit: Pic of a K&N panel filter
    If it is a k and n filter its not quite as bad.. At least it won't fall apart. It does need to be re oiled asap though as it won't trap dirt

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast