User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerky shifts with HKS CPE BOV

Default Jerky shifts with HKS CPE BOV

Hi Guys,

I installed a HKS CPE BOV (recirculating) from MPSGarage a while ago now but have since experienced jerky shifts. I was always under the impression it would smoothen the shifts, hence why i bought one. I did find it was a tricky installation as it touches the plastic where the bonnet lies on. I thought this was the reason why it was jerking so i fixed this problem up but still experience jerky shifts. I wouldnt say im a sh*t driver cause i have never experienced it with the stock bpv.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed the problem? Or does anyone have some solutions that i can try out?

Thanks in advance
    Current Mods

Cobb Accessport 2XS SRI Protege TIP COBB Tuning Downpipe COBB Catback Exhaust HDI GT2 Pro FMIC HKS SSQ CPE ByPass Valve Autotech Fuel Pump DGR Coilovers Remsa Brake Pads TRW Brake Disks 2XS Short Shift Plate CPE Rear Engine Mount (75 Duro) Defi Boost Gauge JBarone Heavy Gear Knob JBarone Solid Shifter Bushings Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps Mugen Weather Shields Kumho KU31 225/40R18 6000K HID Kit for Low Beam + Fogs COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Denso ITV22

dont think you're going to like this response, but from what i've read/seen the stocker is designed with stock tune in mind (which it seems you have)

There is very little point/reason to upgrade it unless you're pushing more than 18-19psi, or you want the "pshhh" sound from a VTA BOV
    the stocker leaks a little bit of air, which the stock tune expects, and by "upgrading" the BPV, it creates a senario that the ECU doesnt fully recognise and thus creating the jerky shifts...

other option is that you didnt install it correctly and a hose is loose or something
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    dont think you're going to like this response, but from what i've read/seen the stocker is designed with stock tune in mind (which it seems you have)

There is very little point/reason to upgrade it unless you're pushing more than 18-19psi, or you want the "pshhh" sound from a VTA BOV
    the stocker leaks a little bit of air, which the stock tune expects, and by "upgrading" the BPV, it creates a senario that the ECU doesnt fully recognise and thus creating the jerky shifts...

other option is that you didnt install it correctly and a hose is loose or something
    It was a tricky install with the c-clip drama hahaha but other than that the install seems correct. Tight fit and hoses are zip tied.

Im waiting for the COBB AP so hopefully that will fix the problem?

I'll admit it was for a bit of sound, but everyone thinks it sounds like a pidgeon hahaha!!
    Current Mods

Cobb Accessport 2XS SRI Protege TIP COBB Tuning Downpipe COBB Catback Exhaust HDI GT2 Pro FMIC HKS SSQ CPE ByPass Valve Autotech Fuel Pump DGR Coilovers Remsa Brake Pads TRW Brake Disks 2XS Short Shift Plate CPE Rear Engine Mount (75 Duro) Defi Boost Gauge JBarone Heavy Gear Knob JBarone Solid Shifter Bushings Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps Mugen Weather Shields Kumho KU31 225/40R18 6000K HID Kit for Low Beam + Fogs COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Denso ITV22

I have a turbosmart dual port. And it made our 6 not so smooth to shift. I didn’t mind it but the wife drives it 80% of the time. She said she didn’t mind it either but I have switched it back to stock… now no dramas! (happy wife happy life)

Now if I'm going for a wrap to the hills I can switch it back in (takes less than 5 min)…

These Mazda’s don’t like non OEM valves so much from what I’ve read. Some have them working well but what is good for one man might not be for another.

Really?
    GFB Hybrid (50/50) here, no jerkiness on stock or flashed tune.
    Do get some cool backfire though

is a jerky shift. Mine seems fine.

Let me teach you how to jerk..

na j/ks its just when i shift it feels rough. Free tonight? maybe ill come have a look at your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    is a jerky shift. Mine seems fine.
    Current Mods

This may or may not be relevant, but if you have a boost guage, you may find that if you shift with just the smallest amount of throttle still open (not so much that it revs madly but just keep the guage off the lowest limit that it would go to on full closure) then you will eliminate the jerkiness, while full throttle plate closure will cause it. This keeps the turbo spinning and eliminates any jerkiness that might be brought on by compressor stall.

What happens when you are accelerating but are suddenly balked in mid-run and have to lift off just a whisker to reduce power - do you get a jerk or "stumble", possibly with an accompanying flutter from the turbo as well as exhausted air from the BOV??. This will help me to narrow the problem down.

"A jerky shift is still better than a shifty jerk"
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

i've got a HKS SSQV3 on mine, be mindful that if you do have the series 3 the vacuum line rubs on the bonnet and can wear the hose thru, giving you a leak. I'd check that regularly, mine last all but 30seconds before it rubbed a hole and chucked it onto VTA cause i ran out of hose and havent changed it since.

If you were running VTA and had "jerky shifts" understandable, but if its recirc then no idea why it would be.

Yes i have tried leaving the smallest amount of throttle open and this does make it more smooth.

When i accelerate and lift off i feel a huge jerk accompanied by the flutter from the hks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    This may or may not be relevant, but if you have a boost guage, you may find that if you shift with just the smallest amount of throttle still open (not so much that it revs madly but just keep the guage off the lowest limit that it would go to on full closure) then you will eliminate the jerkiness, while full throttle plate closure will cause it. This keeps the turbo spinning and eliminates any jerkiness that might be brought on by compressor stall.

What happens when you are accelerating but are suddenly balked in mid-run and have to lift off just a whisker to reduce power - do you get a jerk or "stumble", possibly with an accompanying flutter from the turbo as well as exhausted air from the BOV??. This will help me to narrow the problem down.

"A jerky shift is still better than a shifty jerk"

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Yeah mines the series 3 and i did have that problem which i have fixed temporarily. I say temporarily cause its not the rubbing now but the way the small hose is bending back towards the rear. This is where my problem is i guess cause its a U bend so it pierces a tiny hole where it connects to the tip of the HKS. But even without the tiny hole i experience the same jerking. Do you have a photo of your engine bay showing how you have set up the HKS? How did you solve that problem with the rubbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    i've got a HKS SSQV3 on mine, be mindful that if you do have the series 3 the vacuum line rubs on the bonnet and can wear the hose thru, giving you a leak. I'd check that regularly, mine last all but 30seconds before it rubbed a hole and chucked it onto VTA cause i ran out of hose and havent changed it since.

If you were running VTA and had "jerky shifts" understandable, but if its recirc then no idea why it would be.
    Current Mods

Only one i got. Changed it back to atmospheric when i still had the top mount on it, FMIC lowered the position of the BOV so if i want i can do recirc without any problems

ah so its actually ok to have it atmospheric?

I dunno what sorta jerk ur on about but ok. lol negatory on being free tonight, maybe tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by MPSDAN View Post
    Let me teach you how to jerk..

na j/ks its just when i shift it feels rough. Free tonight? maybe ill come have a look at your setup.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Well it's not good to leave it like that for ages without being tuned, you'll get more backfiring which can burn out your cat and it will probably feel 'jerkier'

ah so its actually ok to have it atmospheric?
    No. Stuffing up A/F ratios to the max. Have a search on the foum for more info

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Just changed back to my stock bov today from my turbosmart dual port, feels way smoother. just not used to have no noise

wouldn't mind some jerkyness for some of that flutter

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    wouldn't mind some jerkyness for some of that flutter
    flutter is good Very goood :P
    Current Mods

flutter is good Very goood :P
    Right up until the point your turbo lunches itself. :/
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thats what the big turbs are for mate, solution solved! Tick!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Right up until the point your turbo lunches itself. :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast