User Tag List

Thread: Servicing & petrol

Default Servicing & petrol

Hi guys, 2 questions for you. (1) my mazda3 mps has 8000kms clocked up & mazda keep ringing me to say my 10,000km service is overdue. Yes its been 6 months but why the urgency? They even used the words of "you could run the risk of voiding your extended warranty = WHAT THE!! (2) would it be harmful to mix 2 different premium fuels together? i.e Half a tank of Caltex premium 95 and half a tank of BP premium 95.
    Thanks.

just cause you havent done the km's doesnt mean it doesnt need to be serviced. every 6 month or 10,000, whatever comes first.
    Imagine you do alot of city driving stuck in traffic, the engine running time will be high, but have low kms.
    and yes you can mix fuel, but id be using 98 instead of the 95.

^^ This

In the book it says along with city driving if you do alot of short trips change the oil more regularly, hence why i do it @ 5,000km and then i sorta ignore the 6 months and just go every 10 for the major stuff.

So mine should be ok because most of the 8000kms has been all highway travelling.

Yeah but 6mths is too long for the oil to be in there, it breaks down and does not do its job properly. I would be included to do 5,000km changes also.

If you run a fully synthetic you should be getting better than 5k before you have problems with the oil breaking down. mineral oils will do this, fully syth doesn't. Thats why you pay all that extra money for it.

If it is your first 6m/10k service that will involve other checks besides an oil change. Retighting of parts, ensuring the engine is settling in properly, they may even run a differnt run in oil during the run in period.

And on these cars, with high compression and high boost, you would really want to run 98 RON minimum to keep them happy.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

At the end of the day, the service schedule is 10,000km or 6 months (whichever comes first). If you fail to service your car in line with the manufacturer's recommendation, that will void your warranty (or part of).

Running 95 is fine in these cars.

The manufacturer specified RON rating is 95, and its there for a reason.

They're not that high comp/high boost. 15 psi stock @ 9.5:1.

My old Golf GTI (2007, MkV) was 10.5:1 comp with 16 psi stock (albeit with the smaller KKK K03S compared to MPS's K04), it required 98. As a comparison, my mate's Megane 225, when it was stock, specified 95 RON just like the MPS, 9.0:1 comp @ 14 psi stock (turbo on those is a TD04-14T).

As far as oil, synthetic *should* be OK but you don't want it in there for 6+ months regardless of km, as most people have said already. And yes, they can void your warranty if you go over the time for service, regardless of km.
    Last edited by Speed3; 22-03-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

"back in the day" a turbo car was highly strung if it was over 8.5:1 compression, most cars ran hardly more than 7-10psi from factory (your sr20 tractors, rb's, tx3's). A push for better emissions levels has meant higher compression on smaller motors, using higher compression to push the power through. 15 on 9.5 is high, the motor is engineered to take it, but you only have to look at the people running another 6 psi and blowing injectors out, running out of fuel and lunching motors to see they are not exactly miles off there limit.

You can run them on 95, they do seem to run a lot happier on 98. And if you are going to drive it hard it is probably worth while.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

with only 8000km on the clock there is a very good chance the car is only running on mineral RUNNING IN OIL.

this needs to be changed religiously with the first 2 services. there may be a high level of contaminants (metal particles) from a fresh engine, which need to be removed.

5000km services on my MPS6 are the only thing i would consider. its up to 122 000km now and has an impressive service book

another load of mineral oil first for the new car, then move onto fully synthetic nulon turbo oil.

6months seems to fit in well with my city driving.

Ice

Alright guys thanks for your input. I have booked in this Friday for a 6 month service. Cheers. John.

On the back of the petrol lid it says use either RON 95 or E10. Has anyone or know anyone who puts E10 in their MPS?

I did for a little while

My dealership said it would be ok, but eventually you will have to get you injectors cleaned as they will block them up

As soon as I went back on to the 98, you will notice the difference in POWER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mps2011 View Post
    On the back of the petrol lid it says use either RON 95 or E10. Has anyone or know anyone who puts E10 in their MPS?

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Ive always from day 1 put in RON 95 in my MPS, (and have been happy enough with that) but the other day i thought i would give the MPS a little treat & fill it up with RON 98. Ya know what? I cant tell any difference in power. Maybe if i went from E10 to RON 98 there would be a noticable difference, but from 95 to 98 i cant tell.

Yeah mate, I couldn't tell any noticeable performance difference.

In my old car (SP23) I tried E10, 95 and 98. Cost per km worked out pretty close to identical.

Dad once ran E10 in his MPS, was thirsty, very thirsty

Some people won't notice a difference from 95-98 depends how sensitive you are to that I suppose.. If Mazda recommends 95 then It shouldn't be a problem. If running anything other than stock or with a tune however, I would run 98.

A bloke at work told me it would take atleast 3 full tanks of RON 98 before i would be noticing any power difference. Not sure if thats right or wrong but i will persist for a while putting in RON 98 and see what happens. Premium 98 is very expensive though.