User Tag List

Thread: Spark Plug Change OOPS!

Default Spark Plug Change OOPS!

Hey Forum,

I changed my spark plugs over the weekend and put some new NGK Laser Iridiums.

The problem is as follows:-

- Wrench extension was barely getting in so had to remove the black rubber inserts on all 4 spark plugs to get in there.
    - I had placed them in order so I could put them back the way I found them
    - I then accidently knocked them over and they got mixed up

My question is, are they all the same (the 4 long black rubber inserts) or are they to be inserted into a specific spark plug????

The car seems to be running good, rough idle there and there so Im going to use some Lucas Injector Cleaner and see how that goes.

Thanks forum

you mean the coil packs?

they are the same from cylinder to cylinder, but it depends on how you re-plugged them?

Do ya have to take off the top mount cooler to change plugs?

Confused black rubber inserts?

Yeah you have to removed the top mount, only takes 5min

Sorry for the noobness.

The rubber i am referring to is, once ive removed the TMIC, i need to remove the black plugs, when i removed those then i could access the spark plugs.

Now its those 4 black rubber "things" that got mixed up.

As for the spark plugs, hand tightened + 1/4 more, is that correct?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The black rubber things are the coil packs, their positioning is not important, it probably wouldn't hurt to remove the front connectors and give them a quick spray with some contact cleaner just in case there is any debris in there causing a poor connection , did you use the correct type and heat range of plug ?, I am not familiar with the NGK plugs as most of us are running Densos.
    You can also do the spring stretch mod if you are experiencing rough idling, stuttering etc, a quick search within the forum, or google should find it for you.

If you are experiencing rough idle after fitting new plugs, I would retrace my steps before just throwing a bottle of injector cleaner in there, rough idle can be attributed to spark plug issues (check the gaps etc), as well as possible air leaks from removing / reinstalling your IC.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Im going to say definately check the gaps if you didn't. If they are the slightest bit off your car wont like it. I believe the stock gap is 0.032" for the fomoco so the ngk's should be around the same.

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    Do ya have to take off the top mount cooler to change plugs?

Yes.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was under the impression NGK didnt require gapping.
    I'll double check the temp also and see if that might have something to do with it.

All spark plugs should really be checked for gap before installing, regardless of whether they say they need it or not

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    All spark plugs should really be checked for gap before installing, regardless of whether they say they need it or not
    Can you suggest how I could check? Im kinda newbie

- Johnny

2007 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury / True Red / AEM CAI / CorkSport TIP / 3rd Res Delete

You need a set of feeler gauges or wire gauges. Can be bought from most auto stores (Repco, Supercheap etc)

Feeler gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers, I'll do that, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xliquidx View Post
    Im going to say definately check the gaps if you didn't. If they are the slightest bit off your car wont like it. I believe the stock gap is 0.032" for the fomoco so the ngk's should be around the same.
    Curiously, according to the NGK website: The gap on the plug part number specified for the 3mps (there's only one) is 0.8 Can that be right?

Source: NGK Spark Plugs Australia

Yes, 0.8mm = ~0.032 inches

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Yes, 0.8mm = ~0.032 inches
    Ahh of course. Thanks for clarifying Matt.