User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an MPS6.. need some advice

1. Default Buying an MPS6.. need some advice

Hey guys,

New to the world of Mazda's and MPS'.

Im a die hard toyota loyal minion, however MY gf is interested in a newish car and we have either osmething small like a civic, corolla or mid side like an accord euro or mazda 6.
    Now the MPS6 we drove is by far the most enjoyable (coming from a TT supra driver ) But this car is for her as her daily and fun car.

So now down to the guts of it. I know mechanical stuff, turbo stuff etc etc, but as your all prob aware all cars have there gremlins and hickups. I want to know about MPS6 and would like feedback on the MPS6 which i looked at.

here are the details of the car.

Its a 2006 Silver MPS6 top of the range leather/bose/sunroof.
    113,000km
    The body is tidy all over paint is consistant and straight. Could do with a clay bar and wax but nothing that indicates repairs, except hte front bar has splits, headlights faded yellow crap plastic colour, grille has rivets to hold it in and drill marks from something that was "fitted". Owners seem to think a radar detectors (yes seems obvious why!)

They told me they purchased the car in 07 as a reposession. It came from NT but was being sold at Pickles in WA. Had 50,000 when they bought it in 07. The car has a pod filter and a BOV which they tell me was fitted by last owner. It also has drill marks on the centre steering column where a "guage" or something was fitted. But its now removed.

I make the assumption from these people they are just "car owners" they drive it, pay someone to service it and thats about the long and short of it. Its a women that drives the car to work and back each day. Looking at her service receipts that she had. It looks like its been done about every 10-12,000km's which IMO from turbo cars, thats fairly long periods between services. She only drive it to and from her work which is about a 30km trip. I am fairly certain she isn't a hoon, she knows its turbo and has the BOV, but she is a middle aged women who originally wanted a stock mazda 6 FWD, but bid on this one cause she missed out.

I have a feeling the previous owner was a bit of a hoon, but thats the nature of performance cars... old ladies dont buy them, rev heads buy them so a certain degree of punishment is to be expected, but then again the cars are built to take it.

They are asking $20,000 for it. The only fault on the interior is drivers seat leather stitching has come undo and only need to be resealed. Engine bay was dusty and dirty (a clean out with a rag and some solution would shine it up), not oily though. No drips. Pod Filter is very dirty and needs to be cleaned or more likely replaced.

With the front asthetics replaced the car would look mint. My concern isnt on asthetics its on mechanically, cause i can only assume the flagship car wont be cheap on parts!

I drove the car and it drives really well. Turbo spins up nicely, engine revs out nicely. Bov operates correctly and no flutter. I've only driven this one, but the gearbox feels like it locks into gear nicely, feel like a heavy duty gearbox. Clutch feels heavy and has a moderate friction point, but feels good over all.

So overall my impression is the car seems like its in good condition and i would assume it should be for 113,000km on the clock as thats not old at all esp for over engeinnered turbo cars. However the longer service history, dirty air filter concern me. As they dont seem like car nuts i expect the engine bay to be dusty and need a clean.

I hope i've covered everything and i know without looking at the car its hard to say. It didnt appear to blow any smoke and ran like a good performance car, everything worked, was smooth. But then im no expert on these cars like you guys would be so i need a better oppion.

Thanks for your time guys i appriciate it.

Parts aren't cheap
    Judging by the description it doesn't sound like its bean treated very well.
    And for the price there are better ones out there.
    Are you in Perth?
    Seems the ones over there a worth a bit more than on the east coast though.

This club has a very strong 6 MPS presence in WA i'm sure any of the guys over there would gladly run their eye over it for you.

3. Default

I think I've pretty answered the question myself, I really did like the mps6 there just arent many out there. What about the types of paint Mazda use? Do the red fade quickly like Honda's paint? What about black?

I've got the red, it's superb paint.
    Aside from the Diff mounts wearing out (soft/cheap OEM rubber) and the clutch maybe having dramas (If its the OEM item after that many k's) it should be a fairly solid car.

I paid $19,000 for mine - no leather, 120,000kms

hullo! 2006 MPS6 owner here.

113 000km. bought for 20k from dealer in townsville QLD, now has 122000km.

service intervals of 10k arnt a good thing, but so long as quality modern oils have been used, i doubt there would be too many issues. dirty pod filters aside.

what ARE issues with this car tho are definately clutch and diff and mount issues.

my car has had a crapload of fixes so far.

New suspension (which at 120 000km the factory stuff was SHOT) and that was $1500 for a pedders custom setup thats much better than original. slightly lower but not too low.
    New brakes (again 120 000km, factory stuff is well and truely finished) that was bout $1100 for DBA 4000 slotteds all round with REMSA pads to match. again, blows stock brakes away.
    New rear engine mount (factory is RUBBISH) 165$ easy fit (CP-E on mine)
    New Side engine mounts (solid mounts to reduce engine flex in my case) (450$ ish fitted and shipped from the states)

car needs the following to come:
    Both rear diff mounts need to be changed, now having rear clunks and bangs now the front is tight (thats easy 700$ plus fitting again from the states)
    clutch is giving me the shits, its not slipping but it vibrates so i think the throwout bearing is gone. dual mass flywheel has harmionic issues. going to scrap stock for exedy heavy duty single mass flywheel conversion (round $2000 fitted can be bought in aus tho so shipping is easier)

thats close to $5500 of parts in 18 months that i personally think will bring the car up to my required spec. on top of servicing of course. im lucky to have a local mechanic i trust and get a great rate from.

dont forget they are thirsty on fuel too lol

i personally would get a local mechanic to THOROUGHLY go through the car and particularly the driveline to check for issues.

they are great cars, but they can require large amounts of upkeep as they are getting older and higher KMs.

if your happy with that, then fire away!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen13 View Post
    What about the types of paint Mazda use? Do the red fade quickly like Honda's paint? What about black?
    No. Not at all.

Hondas, like red integras etc use a tinted cleacoat under a layer of standard clearcoat (3 stage paint). So it's -> Base coat -> Tinted Clear -> Standard (non-tinted) Clear

The fading is usually caused by the tinted clearcoat itself fading (which is under the standard clearcoat).

Here's a good example.

Red Integra in direct sunlight:

The left side of the tape is non paint corrected (not polished). The right side of the tape has been paint corrected (polished) as much as possible. The fading is under the top layer of clear. Not much can be done about that without a respray.

The same red Integra in shade with the same paint corrected bonnet:

The fading doesn't show up as much because the sun's not shining through and emphasising the tinted clear coat under the normal clear coat as much.

Mazdas don't have a tinted clear like this, so aren't susceptible to these fading issues
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 16-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

The guys have covered most things, have a look at these threads as they will give you some insight into the MPS 6 and then you can tell the independent mechanic what to look for when they do their check!

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-cx7-2-3t.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...rbo-seals.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...s-dog-box.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...solutions.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

8. Default

Cheers for all the replies guys, seems all pretty straight forward everything you've said. I still feel convinved in my mind this car is going to prove to be a time bomb, there are too many negative points to it.

On a side note, drove new shape MPS3 and far out for a stock car it absolutely hammers. Even the salesman at the showroom was bagging it up everywhere, which made me feel not to guilty. I wouldnt pay $34k tho. EEEEk

i think my mrs has decided she wants a 2012 Civic instead with its super flash new dash. Bit boring to drive as its very plasid and tame, but i think the MPS was more my idea cause im addicted to boost!

So many Honda jokes...not enough time to make them all...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about 10,000km service intervals, that's what Mazda specify. Also there are supposedly issues with changing the oil too regularly, being a direct injected engine. I'm sure someone could correct me though.

I'm at 140,000km now with stock turbo, clutch and diff mounts, but I have had to change the shocks, brakes and ignition coils. Otherwise its been a pretty good car! I bought it two years ago with 50,000km.

If you're interested, another member TBDM has just posted that he might be thinking of selling his. It compares quite favourably to the one you're looking at mechanically. Apparently one concern is smoking standard turbos, and TBDM's has had a BNR replacement turbo which are supposed to resolve the issue along with providing more flow.

11. Default

I've only read the first post, and my opinion is to give this car a miss. You can find a much cleaner one for pretty much same price

The new Honda civic is very ummm.....

Sorry, I dozed off, what were we talking about again?

This or gtfo

Did he run out of money so couldn't afford to paint it?

thats a bonkers looking civic.

to the op please let me hope your getting the Civic Sport with the 2Litre.....

Ice

Quote Originally Posted by laser beam View Post
    I've only read the first post, and my opinion is to give this car a miss. You can find a much cleaner one for pretty much same price
    I would also give this one a miss. Get a clean one.

Ps: my last 4 cars have been s14, R33GTST, R34GTT, 2007 Velocity Red leather pack MPS6 now (for past 2 years), I wouldnt have anything but the 6 now. My s14 was the fastest (just) of all at 13.6@over 100mph, but there is no comparison overall. I just wish I could have bought a new one in 2010! I paid $30k for mine, but was still under warranty, immaculate/showroom condition with 30something k's on the clock. Hands down my favorite car to date.

Now to beat the 13.6 mark, I'm thinking GTX3071 ;-)

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

17. Default

Had a look at the 2012 and Honda are stepping up there game cause Mazda 2 and 3's are taking all there small car sales, so now you can get a mid spec VTI-L as the base model and the Sport as the top (besides the Type R)

But its gone even more pooh and no reason to get a sport. Remeber all this is my GF"s car, not mine, im as much as a speed freak as the rest of you, but she isn't.

I've owned 3 84 Supras with turbo engines, a TT 6 supra, celicas, several Supercharged and turbo corollas, more than 5 1000cc kawasaki ninjas etc etc so yes the need for speed run in my veins.

But putting the little boy in me aside and being the senisble significant other, i like the 2012 Civic. Sure its tame, its not a Type R, it doesnt make party whistle noises and grunt at you, but it has a certain charm too it. Its foolish to try and convince anyone in a forum dedicated to MPS's that a VTI-L civic is a "good" car, cause they are very placid.

but remember, thats not what this car is about and to be honest, i was gob smacked when i got in it, cause it really is one of the only "normal" cars ive gotten in and go "wow that is awesome"

Put this against a Corolla, Mazda 3, and all the other little sized cars and this is a really nice little car, it looks good vs all the others, the interior is prob the nicest and the dash features are pretty specy. My gf doesnt like turbo cars, i thought the MPS3 was quick, not as quick as what i've had, but for a stock car its not bad, she htought it was like a rocket ship! So fair enough.

The civic is pretty amazing on fuel gets sub 7L/100km. It will be reliable, has lots of cool funky features, easy to look after and for $21k for a brand new car with any specs you want its cheaper than most MPS6's so that suits here. The 2012 Civic sports is pooh too. Only comes in hospital grey leather, only in auto and the 2L is a SOHC. NOT that SOHC is bad, but when its a higher revving "sporty" engine then it fails. So u either get a Manual or auto 1.8L 104kw or an auto 2L. for an extra $10k. hmmm not thanks.

From my drive of the 1.8L civic, it was good to drive, its no race car, but to live with on a daily basis its good. Good think i have my zx10r when i need to blow the cob webs out!

What about the new Impreza?

I think you're talking yourself into Civic... I thought the question was about buying an MPS??

20. Default

Yeah i dont mind the new Impreza, She likes it also.

I think she has her heart set on the civic now, which IMO is a good choice, they seem liek a good car. It seems a bit overwhelming all the info on here about the quality of the MPS. I can't speak from experience, but from what i read it seems like there are a few issues with them, such as seals in annoying places going parts breaking etc etc. It also seems like people have to replace or upgrade stuff. I realise performance cars are put under more stress than a stock run about, but from what i read seems like the MPS wouldnt be a cheap car to run and maintain.
    I must admit the MPS3 was really fun to drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast