User Tag List

Thread: Loud 'thud/clunk' noise

JETMPS Guest

Default Loud 'thud/clunk' noise

Hey Guys,

Get a loud noise coming from somewhere - feels/sounds like it is towards the rear of the vehicle when driving it a bit harder and changing from 4th to 5th.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

3 or 6?

check rear endlinks and suspension on the 3 mps.

6 could be diff mounts.

He drives a 6

Thread here has some info that may help you...

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...lunk-mps6.html

Also try driving with the handbrake up 1 notch as this will disengage the AWD then try shifting if the noise goes away then it could be diff related. Good luck.

JETMPS Guest

Thanks shakespeare. Yes i drive a 6

i have had this Thumping like noise when i release the clutch well, the dealership was certain it was inside the box on my 07 mps 6, cracked the box open had a look, put it back together went for a drive, was still doing it then pulled it all off again a discovered the problem, a collapsed dual mass flywheel, the car only has 65,000ks on it must say i was shocked to hear that.

JETMPS Guest

oh wow. Must've had an idiot owner previous to you.

Good luck with it.

Thanks jetmps just got it back yesterday, now much nicer to driver the gearbox feels tighter now , they forgot to put the under engine tray back on so i had to go, and get that done. Plus it was making more than usual noise in the cabin, steering boot wasn't quite fitted properly and while it was there getting the tray put back on someone scratched the rear bar with something maybe a tool box. Least they are honoring it and paying for a full re-spray of the bar. So people if you have this problem, i had warranty that covered up to 2k. Mazda don't sell the flywheel with out clutch kit only as a pack! 2k just for that from mazda. and it cost me 1600 for labour. Expensive job So if anyone has similar issue to me and the mechanic says gearbox tell them to check the flywheel first as my gear box was crcked open for no reason.

Well Car is back at dealership cause i got back and the car was jumping out of gear and not engaging reverse properly apparently now is has a stuffed shift cable hence why it was only doing it on certain gears. got only knows how that happened when it was fine when it went in. not to mention my cruise control stopped working after they had it and they cant work that one out, and the exhaust system moved backwards another one they cant explain. grrrrrrrrrrr i feel like i just want to sell it now

2k that outrageous stuff mazda man i can get a twin plate unit for $500 more from the states

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Supereunos View Post
    Well Car is back at dealership cause i got back and the car was jumping out of gear and not engaging reverse properly apparently now is has a stuffed shift cable hence why it was only doing it on certain gears. got only knows how that happened when it was fine when it went in. not to mention my cruise control stopped working after they had it and they cant work that one out, and the exhaust system moved backwards another one they cant explain. grrrrrrrrrrr i feel like i just want to sell it now
    i can explain all of it first of all they havent aligned the motor properly in the engine bay which is y your exhaust moved back or they had to swing the motor to get the gear box off and left your exhaust bolted up they obviously damaged your shifter cable when they did this to its not hard to damage i bet it was when they were removing the brackets for it on the gearbox and they have knocked or stretched a wire loose then they did it also which would further support my theory
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 11-05-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Don't sell, stick with it! These cars are immensely rewarding when they're running right!

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    2k that outrageous stuff mazda man i can get a twin plate unit for $500 more from the states

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

i can explain all of it first of all they havent aligned the motor properly in the engine bay which is y your exhaust moved back or they had to swing the motor to get the gear box off and left your exhaust bolted up they obviously damaged your shifter cable when they did this to its not hard to damage i bet it was when they were removing the brackets for it on the gearbox and they have knocked or stretched a wire loose then they did it also which would further support my theory
    You may be right i told them to check mounts etc and they recon they did, the exhaust place told me the system had shifted cause the muffler was hitting against the back of the car so they had to cut the exhaust and shorten in, so there is a problem there im just sick off them.