User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda 3 MPS

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Hey everyone. Just installed the xforce catback tonight. Nice and shiny and fit without any issues. Cost me $800 from Best Mufflers (great service from these guy's!).

Good design with a short pipe going over the rear axle. Much better than the stock setup that was a bi*ch to take out! You can see where the muffler section ends vs the stock one which has a long pipe attaches (sorry for the iPhone pics).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347719807.752065.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	12314

I thought it was going to attach to the 2nd cat, but in actual fact it included a racepipe! It deletes the 2nd cat and bolts up right after the 2nd O2 sensor. It's one piece of pipe from the 1st cat, through the resonator, until just before the dog-leg where it is flanged (in pic below).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347719976.025900.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	12315

Great for anyone keen for a bit of extra zoom with their sound.

Can't wait to fire it up in the morning

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

I got this one a few weeks ago and I am loving it. Enjoy!

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf9686969 View Post
    I got this one a few weeks ago and I am loving it. Enjoy!
    Yeah I had a look at your vid before I bought it, sounds nice

Hey guys did you get from turbo back exhaust including downpipe or from cat back . If you got the full system did you get any cel light problems , the full exhaust is advertised on eBay for a $1000.00 delivered .Don't want to get it if cel,light is an issue

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by jnj62 View Post
    Hey guys did you get from turbo back exhaust including downpipe or from cat back . If you got the full system did you get any cel light problems , the full exhaust is advertised on eBay for a $1000.00 delivered .Don't want to get it if cel,light is an issue
    Hey mate, I think all of your questions were answered above.

Full exhaust will throw a cel according to the vid and matespace's post.

Me and Woolf both got the catback (which replaces the second unmonitored cat) and have no cel issues.

*edit* I think @Yeldarb managed to use an O2 sensor extension to remove the cel on a best mufflers DP, so that might be an option on this one too.
    Or use an AP (i you got one) to disable the cel...I think that's possible.

Last edited by Lachlan; 08-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Default Re: Mazda 3 MPS

Yep, we extended the O2 sensor past the 2nd Cat, plus swapped that cat (was a 100 cell) for a 200 cell cat. I've had a P2096 a couple of times since then, like every six months.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Hmm, by the look of that pic the sensor is after the cat already, so I guess the only option would be a 200 cell cat then...
    Can you just turn the code off using an AP?

Haven't tried or needed to sorry.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Thanks for the info , so do you think it would be better to get a cork sport down pipe and then add the x-force cat back system. Spoke to the muffler shop selling the system and they mentioned something about an extension you can buy for about $60.00 to add to O2 sensor and this could stop cel but couldn't guarantee that it would , then they said you would need to get a tune if I installed full x-force system

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Corksport or ultimate racing if you want a bell-mouth. I was going to check if @2XS could do a short twin DP (instead of the usual long one) when I got around to it. His stuff seems pretty awesome from all accounts.

Yeh he makes some good stuff but I think his downpipe is about $1000.00 and cork sport is stainless and around $890.00 from mps garage, also I was told that the twin DP works better on the Gen 1 mps and bell mouth better on Gen 2 so I don't know which way to go .

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Yeh he makes some good stuff but I think his downpipe is about $1000.00 and cork sport is stainless and around $890.00 from mps garage, also I was told that the twin DP works better on the Gen 1 mps and bell mouth better on Gen 2 so I don't know which way to go .
    Yeah, I was keen to see if a 'short DP' from him would be cheaper.

I'll leave twin v bel mouth to someone with more experience.

Ok, I went through lots of confusion when ordering my xforce catback then trying to find a DP that would work. Crux of the issue, Xforce 'catback' is actually a 'catback' with a 'racepipe' attached (which replaces the second cat and can't be separated before the first elbow). This means you only need a 'short' style downpipe.

So, regarding CS DP, you might be out of luck, as when you add a cat, it turns it into a 'long style' downpipe by automatically adding a race pipe.

Without cat, 'short'

With cat, 'long'

Because the xforce catback includes a race pipe, it won't mate up - you will need to cut and weld.

The red bit is the race pipe, where you can see the big exhaust hangers.

The only difference for the full TBE is the short upper DP, pictured here.

Hope all that made sense :P

If you do go CS, check out ordering directly from them- its a couple of hundred dollars cheaper even after postage.

For other DPs, try EdgeAutosport, who are cheap and have good shipping rates.

Last edited by Lachlan; 09-02-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Corksport or ultimate racing if you want a bell-mouth. I was going to check if @2XS could do a short twin DP (instead of the usual long one) when I got around to it. His stuff seems pretty awesome from all accounts.
    I can do that.

Twin DP works better than bellmouth, regardless of car/make/model.
    My DP is now ceramic coated for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Yeah, I was keen to see if a 'short DP' from him would be cheaper.

I'll leave twin v bel mouth to someone with more experience.
    Yes, it would be cheaper.

Twin DP creates 2 turbo outlets, reducing turbulence.
    It acts like an externally gated turbo setup.

Designed correctly, it can work a lot better than a bellmouth DP by bringing on boost quicker and holding it steady for longer.

Designed incorrectly and it get boost creep in the top end and may even cause more major issues long term.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I can do that.

Twin DP works better than bellmouth, regardless of car/make/model.
    My DP is now ceramic coated for that price.
    I can vouch for that. Awesome

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Thanks Lachlan , I know what you mean now, so I am better off to get a DP first and then worry about an exhaust. Originally I was just going to get a DP installed and not worry about exhaust but when I saw this X-force complete exhaust for the price I thought it might be the way to go . Talked to the blokes at Mps Garage and they said if I bought a DP direct from CS the cat wouldn't meet the Australian requirements ,cause I've bought other things off CS direct and it's been cheaper than from Mps Garage .Talked to Troy last year about getting one of his DP ,but the only problem was if I got it fitted at my local exhaust shop I would have to get someone to extend O2 sensor wiring , and nobody locally has done it before . So I will just do some more homework on which DP to get.

Thanks Lachlan , I know what you mean now, so I am better off to get a DP first and then worry about an exhaust. Originally I was just going to get a DP installed and not worry about exhaust but when I saw this X-force complete exhaust for the price I thought it might be the way to go . Talked to the blokes at Mps Garage and they said if I bought a DP direct from CS the cat wouldn't meet the Australian requirements ,cause I've bought other things off CS direct and it's been cheaper than from Mps Garage .Talked to Troy last year about getting one of his DP ,but the only problem was if I got it fitted at my local exhaust shop I would have to get someone to extend O2 sensor wiring , and nobody locally has done it before . So I will just do some more homework on which DP to get.
    Good to see mpsg is still as useless and stupid as ever...

As soon as you change the number of cats, you no longer meet the requirements... If you're doing your dp and keeping 2 cats you're wasting time and money...

If you're that paranoid about it all, get a cs cat less test pipe, which is a simple swap out job on the second cat... It gives you 90% of the gains a dp would, for half the price... At least on stock turbo...

Then you can easily swap it back if you ever have emissions testing etc...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Default Mazda 3 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I can do that.
    Yes, it would be cheaper.
    Awesome, I shall be hitting you up in the future

Thanks Lachlan , I know what you mean now, so I am better off to get a DP first and then worry about an exhaust. Originally I was just going to get a DP installed and not worry about exhaust but when I saw this X-force complete exhaust for the price I thought it might be the way to go . Talked to the blokes at Mps Garage and they said if I bought a DP direct from CS the cat wouldn't meet the Australian requirements ,cause I've bought other things off CS direct and it's been cheaper than from Mps Garage .
    No worries
    Yeah, MPS garage do some 'special modifications' to the downpipe to make it legal for Australia. It's so top secret they can't tell anyone exactly what they do, but they are so good you can't tell by looking at the pipe!.They do the same for their FMIC kits too!
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...r-gen-2-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    If you're that paranoid about it all, get a cs cat less test pipe, which is a simple swap out job on the second cat... It gives you 90% of the gains a dp would, for half the price... At least on stock turbo...

Then you can easily swap it back if you ever have emissions testing etc...
    I may have one of these for sale in the future if you are interested. No longer need it with my xforce and just lying around my garage.

Last edited by Lachlan; 09-02-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12