User Tag List

Thread: Re-Fuelling tips

Lightbulb Re-Fuelling tips

I recently read an article in the latest RACQ Road Ahead which mentioned the following tips to use next time when filling up, so incase anyone hasn't heard these before, give them a go:

1] Re-fuel in the morning - filling up when fuel in the station's holding tanks is cool means the fuel hasn't expanded due to heat, meaning the fuel being pumped into your tank is denser.

2] Re-fuelling when the car's tank is no more than half empty - this will mean there is less air in your car's tank which means less room for fuel vapours to fill the tank.

3] Don't re-fuel if you see a tanker filling the station's holding tanks - when tankers fill the holding tanks the incoming fuel stirs up vapours which means the pump is most likely to be pumping fuel vapour and less fuel aswel as any deposits which can build up in holding tanks.

4] Use the slowest setting on the nozzle - slowing the pump down will pump more fuel and less vapour into your tank.
    (Ive tried this and it does take awhile to fill the tank. Remember there's no time limit at the bowser.)

Let's give these a go and report back the findings.
    Anything we can do to get the most value when it comes to fuel is worth a shot.

Muz

Last edited by MUZZA; 11-03-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    MAZDA 2 DE GENKI
    PEDDERS SportsRyder lowered | KUMHO KU39 LeSport | OPAL Corsa 17" alloys
    CORKSPORT Short Shift plate, F&R strut brace, SRI & air duct | CUSTOM exhaust

I'm a bit sceptical about all that - seen it before via one of those annoying emails that people forward to everyone when they are bored at work.

I doubt there will be any notable difference between filling up at any old time and early in the morning, being gentle of the pump nozzle etc. Especially in the real world - the tips above probably came from very thorough, controlled tests.

I'd rather refill when I see a tanker anyway - less chance of getting fuel at the very bottom of the holding tank which is likely to be full of crap.

wouldnt the fuel be a constant temp anyway as its stored underground not above ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    wouldnt the fuel be a constant temp anyway as its stored underground not above ?
    Ummm would depend, concrete will heat up and retain heat to a certain extent.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

5) Only fill your car with petrol, not golden syrup

I've read this information before, and yeah...I think its correct. On a day like today (in Perth) its close to 40 degrees. Fill up at the end of the day you've got all the days heat penetrating the storage tanks which as far as I'm aware are not temperature controlled. Filling up in the morning (so the fuel cools over night) yields a greater capacity of fuel in the tank due to it being more dense. I get lower "remaining kms" if I fill up on a hot day.

I also tell my GF (although she doesn't listen) to fill fuel to the top. The less air in the tank the better. Filling only $10 worth of fuel every few days running near empty means evaporation occurs quicker.

Nope, I keep driving if I see a fuel tanker supply truck also.

Stupid bogan people get grumpy if you take a while to fill up but I generally take my time and don't blast fuel into the tank.

Another point, I try obtain my fuel from a fuel station that has a high turnover

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I think the best tip is boycott any station that offers coles/woolworths discounts.

They crank all the fuel prices up by 4-8 cents across the board, and then only give you the discount if youve got a voucher. So even at the lowest time of the week, you're still paying a hugely inflated price for your petrol, and only getting it at roughly RRP when you've also gone and spent $30 bucks at one of their shops.

I don't actually look at prices. I CBF looking at which is cheaper by a few cents. I need fuel...I'm not driving around shopping for a best price, I just fill up!

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I don't actually look at prices. I CBF looking at which is cheaper by a few cents. I need fuel...I'm not driving around shopping for a best price, I just fill up!

+1, more so because I only need to fill up once a month since I have a work car.

Having said that, I'm limited to filling up at Caltex for my work car - and it always seems to be my luck that it's on a 'cheap' day when I need to refuel (when half of Perth all line up for a $2 saving).

I've also noticed when refuelling the motorbike. One would think a bike with low fuel (about 10kg+ weight saving) would be quicker.
    Adding that weight with fresh 98 octane actually makes a massive difference, the bike is much quicker on fresh fuel.