User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobb Access Port FAQ

These DISI motors are silly loud for the first 10 seconds of cold start

I actually like my current neighbours so I have tried to tone it down. Especially when I leave home at 4:15am, but when I start leaving at 5:15am I wont be so concerned about the noise

Default MAF and MAP sensors

MAF Sensor:
    The way the MAF sensor works, is that you tell the ECU how big the housing is, and it reads the air speed flowing through. It returns this value as a voltage, from 0-5v, and this is converted into grams/second of air, which tells the injectors how much fuel needs to be put into the cylinders.
    When people talk about upgrading your MAF, they aren’t talking about the sensor itself, they are talking about the housing. The reason for this is that the sensor can only read so much air coming through the stock housing (2.5”) and the car hits “MAF cut” at 4.7v which equates to ~310g/s of air. A well flowing stock turbo set up is capable of flowing this much air during colder months...
    By upgrading to a larger housing (3”, 3.25” and 3.5” being the most common sizes) you are allowing your car to flow extra air without encountering issues. My CP-E intake allows me to flow up to ~500g/s of air before I start running into issues. (as an aside, the stock fuel system is capable of supporting up to about 380-390g/s of air).
    Changing the MAF housing requires a simple re-configuration of the MAF curve in your ECU tune.

MAP Sensor:
    The MAP sensor is what reads how much boost you’re running. The stock sensor is a 2.5 BAR unit, this means it’s capable of reading -14.7 psi through to 22.5psi. If you’re planning on running more than 20psi, it’s STRONGLY suggest you upgrade your MAP sensor, else you can hit 30+ psi and it’ll only read 22.5psi. The MAP sensor is used not only to read boost, but to also tell the ECU when to “boost cut” to save the engine. The other issue is that "boost cut" doesnt happen instantly, it takes a second or 2 for this to happen, so can actually hit quite a lot of boost.

A 3-Bar MAP sensor will allow you to read up to about 28-29psi (doubt many people will need more than that).
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 24-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Is there an accessport available for 2006 3 Mps

Yeah, I've got an 06...when your shopping in the US it's an 07 because they didn't have any earlier. Same car lol

***BUMP***

COBB's new maps notes (not sure how new, only noticed the other day) have an interesting new addition.
    https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._12%20v231.pdf

STAGE2 - Downpipe OR Test-Pipe.(obviously the downpipe is better, both is the best)

So now you can run a stage 2 map with a High-Flow CDFP and one of the stock cats removed/replaced with a high-flow unit.
    I will be interested to do a few data logs with the new CDFP and a STAGE2 map (the custom exhaust removed the 2nd cat).

Obviously the downpipe will be on my to-do list later on which will use the full potential of the tune, but worth a try to see if I can get more HP/NM sooner
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

6. Default

Well spotted. I'm soon to put on a test pipe/tmic and looking at those dynos stage2 maps look like some serious gains. Like you I might give this a crack before going the whole hog Etune.

The way I figure was that it's worth the time to test and data log. Worst case scenario I don't feel safe with the map I go back to the STAGE1 and wait for a downpipe.

I have a track day in a fortnight (by then I hope to have the CDFP and REM installed) and that will determine whether my Stock TMIC is up the the task of STAGE2 duties... I have a feeling it will only just be within efficiency, not to mention the heat-saok factor... Just an excuse to upgrade
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 03-05-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

8. Default

I originally went race pipe as my first exhaust mod as it was cheaper and far easier to install for a noob (i've prgressed to being a semi noob now). I was very excited to see the exhaust requirements for Stage 2 had changed (from DP to DP or RP). Now to save up for some HPFP internals so I can safely run stage 2. In the mean time I'm following a blog on Corksport that is currently comparing different HPFP and HPFP internals.

Interesting to see if any CEL's result from the race pipe on a GENII. I'm guessing those types of issues might be suppressed with an OTS tune?

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Interesting to see if any CEL's result from the race pipe on a GENII. I'm guessing those types of issues might be suppressed with an OTS tune?
    If there was the OTS would resolve it. But I would imagine a test pipe wouldn't cause a CEL, isn't it behind any sensors... So therefore no senors after the test pipe o give a dodgy reading?

11. Default

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    I had my catted race pipe for ages before the Cobb AP. No CELs. The O2 sensors are upstream of the mid pipe/race pipe so no cels should be thrown

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    I had my catted race pipe for ages before the Cobb AP. No CELs. The O2 sensors are upstream of the mid pipe/race pipe so no cels should be thrown
    Thanks for comfirming my thoughts

If I install my race pipe I won't have ANY cats in my system. I had to move my o2 sensor moved after the aftermarket cat since I had installed a DP that was designed more for GENI's than GENII's. It threw a P2096 constantly. So the question remains, does a Cobb Tune close out any of those CEL's. Guess there is one way to find out.

The COBB may not remove the CEL because of the OTS Map. But you can use it to clear a CEL while it is plugged into the car.

The fact that the GEN1 DP was used may have caused thE issue more then the CATS?

15. Default

If I install my race pipe I won't have ANY cats in my system. I had to move my o2 sensor moved after the aftermarket cat since I had installed a DP that was designed more for GENI's than GENII's. It threw a P2096 constantly. So the question remains, does a Cobb Tune close out any of those CEL's. Guess there is one way to find out.
    You can get the Cobb AP to permenamtly turn off any CEL you like (via Access Tuner Race - ATR). When doing my egr delete I turned off the CELs relating to the EGR.

And yes you can disable/turn off p2096
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367583637.095433.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	14111

16. Default

M ikon

OK, so it may be a silly question, but is STAGE0 the stock map? or do I have to completely un-install the AP to return to stock?

I will need to revert to stock over the coming weeks to get a service... and don't really want Mazda knowing about my buisness

Stage 0 is like stock, it's a safe map. Need to uninstall to go back to stock map.

Better off uninstalling so you can re flash otherwise you will be stuck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Stage 0 is like stock, it's a safe map. Need to uninstall to go back to stock map.

Better off uninstalling so you can re flash otherwise you will be stuck.
    Ok, will do a couple of days before the service. What do you mean 'stuck'?

Tried installing ATR and this pops up everytime!

Anyone had this problem? Or know how to go about fixing it?

I do have accessport manager installed on my Mac and have loaded the stage 1 map accordingly however ATR isn't compatible with Mac so I'm using VMware to have windows on Mac. Not sure if I should uninstall AP manager on the Mac..?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast