User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELPPP....CELL came on =(

Default HELPPP....CELL came on =(

Hey guys so this morning in Sydney it was raining like a mofo and i had to drive through a few puddles that i couldnt avoid which were quite deep.
    Anyways after driving through one of the puddles at around 8:30am the engine light and the light with the car and the squiggles coming from the tires came on. The car itself felt fine untill i tried to accelerate and thats where it began. The car suddenly started jerking like it had no power from about 2500rpm. So i pulled over and checked the dashhawk to see what the CELL code was and it came up with 'P0103 - (MAF) Sensor Circuit High Input'. So i limped all the way to work and parked the car undercover and left it the whole day.
    When i returned to the car at about 7:30pm started it up and all felt fine and as soon as i tried to accelerate it started jerking again and just the engine light came on this time and sure enough it was the same code again.

Any suggestions guys on what it may be and how to diagnose it???

I had that with mine going through a puddle once. But i cleared the CEL and then let it idle for a min and then slowly fed it revs and all was good.

My car jerked and then i let it roll to a safe stop and then turned it off then i cleared the CEL.

I have a water proof filter on the CAI though so i think the CEL might be a lack of air going to the MAF.

Sounds like some water on the MAF sensor, which is shorting the terminals causing it to exceed its normal input value.
    A few things to try, first of all, remove the MAF sensor and give it a good spray with some contact cleaner, this will help dry out any residual water that may be left in the sensor body, although I would have guessed that normal driving would have dried it out by now, also give the MAF connector a good spray with the contact cleaner, there may be some residual water that has found its way into the engine bay and is shorting out the connector, given the amount of rain in Sydney last night I would not be surprised.

Monitor your MAF voltage on your Dashhwak, if the sensor reads around 4.9-5V it will throw the CEL, hopefully the contact cleaner will do the trick and the water hasn't caused any permanent damage to the sensor, there is only the tiniest piece of wire in there, a drop of water at a decent velocity could destroy the sensor wire.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Sounds like some water on the MAF sensor, which is shorting the terminals causing it to exceed its normal input value.
    A few things to try, first of all, remove the MAF sensor and give it a good spray with some contact cleaner, this will help dry out any residual water that may be left in the sensor body, although I would have guessed that normal driving would have dried it out by now, also give the MAF connector a good spray with the contact cleaner, there may be some residual water that has found its way into the engine bay and is shorting out the connector, given the amount of rain in Sydney last night I would not be surprised.

Monitor your MAF voltage on your Dashhwak, if the sensor reads around 4.9-5V it will throw the CEL, hopefully the contact cleaner will do the trick and the water hasn't caused any permanent damage to the sensor, there is only the tiniest piece of wire in there, a drop of water at a decent velocity could destroy the sensor wire.
    and a maf sensor is about 600 bucks and a 6 week wait from japan.
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

Thamls for the reply guys. Matt turned out you were right. There was water on the MAF sensor. Took all intake piping off from the turbo and thankfully no water had made it to the TIP, just the CAI pipe there was water. i left to go wipe all the water out of the CAI pipe and look for contact cleaner which i thought i had ( =( i didnt).
    Anyways i had a big spot light sitting from the latch that hooks on when u close the bonnet and when i got back the water that was on the MAF had been completely evaporated from the heat of the spotlight. Put everything back together and prayed as i took it for a test drive. And what do you know its back to normal. No CELL. No jerkiness. Nothing. The stress has gone. But im gonna see today if it wasnt just a quick fix and that it ends up coming back on today.
    Thanks heaps again guys.
    Might look investing into an SRI instead now. Maybe the Sure Aeros or the Corksport one.

Might be an idea to have a look at a pre filter, which sits over the top of the existing one and is supposed to help prevent what happened from happening. If not, I vouch for the corksport SRI and box. Good bit of hardware.

yeah i would recommend that also as vapor lock is not something you want.

yea i was looking at the Sure intake and the corksport one. Not too sure which to for though. i have a cobb tip so i would only need the intake part. is there a box around that can be fitted with the sure intake if i go down that path? or is it easier just to go with corksport as there is a box that already fits it?

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    yea i was looking at the Sure intake and the corksport one. Not too sure which to for though. i have a cobb tip so i would only need the intake part. is there a box around that can be fitted with the sure intake if i go down that path? or is it easier just to go with corksport as there is a box that already fits it?

SRI or CAI ?
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

What about the Cobb SF intake with the Corksport airbox (the Cobb version), this is what I currently have in my car.

CORKSPORT 'Power Series' Cold Air Box For The COBB SF System

i spoke to sure about a box when i was looking at SRI's and they said they may develop one in the future but at the present time no. Either COBB or Corksport, both good intakes and both fit the box

Corksport kit = win, and legal too because it is enclosed. Have put one on Fat's 6MPS and I rate it.

Wahhhhhh. Stupid CEL came back today. Bloody cai. Stock intake is going back on till I get my sri. Gotaa wait til after April from corksport. They are out of stock atm.

How about the Cobb sf intake ?

Already purchased the corksport intake and box matt.

Ahh, Ok then, I thought you were waiting for CS stock to become available before ordering.

good to see u got that fixed stealth. n nice meeting u today

hey mate, good meeting you today at TH. No more CEL FTW!

lol saw u come back for a sec, what happened?

Mps meet at th today?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast