User Tag List

Thread: James Barone (JBR) Transmission Mount installed and impression

1. Default James Barone (JBR) Transmission Mount installed and impression

Got the JBR Transmission Side Motor Mount 70a Durometer installed yesterday and here are my first impressions on my 3 MPS 2006.

Gear changes:

• massive improvement in changing gear. can shift from 1 to 2 cold easily whereas previously I had to often do double-shifting
    • gears slot in much more easily like it's guided
    • the whole car feels more connected under acceleration - could be the noise it makes though

Noise, harshness and vibration:
    • Unexpectedly not much more vibration since I already had the Sure Torq R3 rear engine mount (street) in - that one added a lot of vibe originally when idle (which I can easily live with) or when having the aircon on
    • lots more noise from the gearbox and diff and I love it ... if you play Gran Turismo 5 and like the sound the Honda MUGEN MOTUL CIVIC Si Race Car '87 race car makes, you'll love the new sound
    • I can sense a little bit more vibration (but not noise) when car is coasting i.e. off the gas than when accelerating - no it's not truck like
    • I can hear a bit of noise from the bearings when car is in neutral with the clutch out than in

Still the new mount doesn't kill the clicking I get when I depress the clutch in when I reverse the car out.

I have a feeling that the engine mount is much stronger than the original part as I no longer feel the chassis move when starting the motor... or when turning engine off, it shuts off cleanly without making these short rattling sound like the timing chain touching the engine block.

Overall, I love the new mount and I am sure I can live with all the glorious noise and little bit extra vibe it makes (on top of the REM).

I'll give it a few Ks to break in and to let the ECU relearn see what it's like then.
    Last edited by wyvernone; 09-03-2012 at 10:45 PM.

I put mine in about 3 weeks ago an the diff whine has died off a little but it still sounds like racecar

Sent from my iPhone using my iFingers

3. Default

Oh yeah... and the noise starts even from low revs. Love it... gives the car a little bit of character I reckon.

I used to short shift a bit in traffic but with this lovely engaging sound and the clunking of the gear shift now I tend to hold the gear longer just to hear the exquisite sound rise for longer...

Do you notice there is a band of resonance sometimes when coasting in gear somewhere between 2200 rpm and 3200rpm? I've felt it a few times already but can't reproduce it reliably.

Yes i have a fat vibration between about 3k-3.5k rpms.. with that said i have the full 88 trilogy set.. but yes the vibration at approx 3krpm is quite annoying. more noticeable with a/c running too!

Very old post I know but just put this mount in a week ago and was checking the noise and vibrations are normal. Seems that everything is luckily!!! Just wondering if the noise eventually settles down a bit???

ive got a Trilogy 88 set on its way so ill have race car soon @raffa may need to borrow your torque wrench but most probably ill go an buy one.

Default Re: James Barone (JBR) Transmission Mount installed and impression

Quote Originally Posted by KRNAGE View Post
    may need to borrow your torque wrench but most probably ill go an buy one.
    Mate I've used it twice its there gathering dust whenever you want it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "la fortuna favorisce il coraggioso"
    CP-E TMIC, K&N typhoon SRI , COBB 2way adjustable shifter, TWM bushings, Sure AGS 212g knob, JBR 70a trilogy mounts, JBR boost tubes, Medieval 2.5" TIP, 2XS racepipe, 2XS interior light upgrade, Hypertech , RDA slotted front rotors, DGR coilovers, hotchkis RSB, Ultragauge EM, Work CE28N'S in blaze blue, D1 blue lugs

8. Default

I recently added a JBR 70a Transmission Mount to the arsenal. It now compliments my JBR 88a REM and my JBR 70a PMM, and replaces my CS TMM insert.

Why:
    To better compliment the other 2 mounts (to complete the trilogy). The TMM I got from JBR has an ARP pressed stud...win (phased in Dec 2013)

Installation:
    Fairly easy. The fiddliest bit was aligning the new TMM plate over the 4x chassis bolts. A second scissor jack to get the motor alignment right certainly helped.

Impressions:
    I already have a JBR 88a RMM and JBR 70a TMM inserts so bear that in mind. Also I have only put about 500km on the mount since installation.

• The mount is solidly built. The build quality is excellent and looks like it could handle a lot of strain/stress compared to the OEM version. Its beefy
    • Shifts have improved by a further 20%. I don't miss fast gear changes, its just easy.
    • Torque steer has reduced further (probably a further 20%). I really didn't notice torque steer at a recent track day at Winton, just smooth.
    • Engine feels smoother, particularly on the transition between on/off the throttle
    • Vibrations have actually decreased believe it or not, its more comfortable than before (with just 2 of 3 aftermarket mounts). I can only put it down to being more even between the TMM/PMM. I'd read about it on other forums but I've now felt it for myself.
    • Cabin Noise level has decreased overall. Again, perhaps vibes cancelling each other out. However the TMM brings more transmission noises. Most noticeable in lower gears. Can hear Tranny chatter when in neutral and clutch is out. You do get a bit of whine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (most to least), but by 4th gear its gone. The whine is akin to straight cut gears in sequential boxes found in race cars, but its nowhere as much (say about 15% of a race car). I actually like and don't mind the sound.

Pretty happy with the upgrade and happy with the trilogy.

who wants to volunteer to help with my 6 rear diff mounts..

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    who wants to volunteer to help with my 6 rear diff mounts..
    NSW i presume?

yes please

12. Default

I'm in VIC so can't be much help from here

that sucks haha thanks tho. i heard on the 6 rear diff mounts is a must