User Tag List

Thread: Fuel Pump dying?

Default Fuel Pump dying?

Hi guys, I've been noticing an interesting 'problem' with my 6 MPS lately, mainly after putting on a cbe and new plugs (itv22 gapped at 0.028"), its hard to say if it was doing it before the cbe and old plugs as the old plugs were buggered. I am running stock apart from cbe and gutted air box. So anyway, on WOT I am experiencing what sounds like a pop or backfire (not a loud bang but noticeable in the cabin) followed by a split second loss of power, almost like fuel cut, the car then picks back up and will go through to redline. A couple of you guys suggested pulling plugs and having a look (pics below) or that it could be a dying fuel pump. I am not getting any CELs. Hoping to borrow a dashhawk this week to monitor it. Think I will be getting the Autotech internals just to be safe. Any other suggestions?

Darren

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	10563 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	10564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	10565
    Last edited by dazza; 07-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Sounds exactly like mine did, I was seeing pressures dropping to ~500 psi at high revs / load scenarios, although mine came good again, not sure if the Hypertech tune was the cause of the issue, but when I started logging for the AP trials I had good fuel pressure again, now that I have fitted the hpfp upgrade pump I often see fuel pressure max out over 2000 psi.

I would be very careful driving around on a bad pump, I posted a log from my dashhawk that shows all the key signs of potentially breaking stuff, the car was leaning out pretty bad, even though the ECU was shutting down the boost and throttle plate, it could have gone very pear shaped very quickly, the reason you are hearing the pops in the exhaust is because the ECU is programmed to dump fuel in when pump pressures drop in order to safeguard the engine.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

We'll work it out tonight Darren i'll show you what mine is doing, cause that is fuel cut and a boost leak and then we'll compare to your issues.

James

Hmm just did a few quick runs tonight, fuel pressure peaked at about 1800 and seemed to hold between 1600-1700 on wot even when i was getting backfires/pops, cant see it dropping to anything out of the ordinary. I wonder if its spark plug blowout.. Boost levels seem steady around 15-16 on wot, peaked at about 18. I am going to put the forge bpv on and have a look how it holds boost compared to stock bpv.
    Last edited by dazza; 08-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.

18 psi is the magic boost cut number on stock tune.

Did you personally check your plug gaps, or just take for granted what was written on the box ? , I have had a set of ITV22's that were all different gaps out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    18 psi is the magic boost cut number on stock tune.

Did you personally check your plug gaps, or just take for granted what was written on the box ? , I have had a set of ITV22's that were all different gaps out of the box.
    I did check the plugs, they are all at 0.028" which is fine, but ive got a feeling they are stuffed. Think I might replace them to rule that out. I do believe this CBE has a leak in it, but I wouldnt of thought it would cause the issues im experiencing, a pop or backfire yes, but hesitation/loss of power with an exhaust leak?

Did you check the manifold, DP an Midpipe for any leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    Did you check the manifold, DP an Midpipe for any leaks?
    Negative, Ill check the mani and pipes for leaks and tighten see if it helps.
    Last edited by dazza; 09-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.