User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: DIY STi Urethane Front Lip installed on MPS

Default How To: DIY STi Urethane Front Lip installed on MPS

Again, thanks for all the feedback and interest in the STi Lip. Toddy wanted special mention so...big shout out to Toddy22587 for giving me a hand again. There's been a fair bit of feedback so below is a working progress "how to" for any interested....you're welcome.

Installation Time: 2hrs - I was in no rush
    Cost for mod: Varies depending on supplier. Mine was $112.99USD landed ($42.99USD for the Lip)
    Difficulty (out of 10): 2 (maybe 3 if you're not too handy)
    Selection:06-07 Impreza S204 Front Bumper Lip (Urethane)
    Where to buy? See Link here | Ebay
    Clearance: +150mm from ground on King Springs (low)
    Protrusion: +30mm (how much it sticks out from the bumper)
    Tools req: Multi-tool (or hacksaw, knife) Impact Driver, G or F clamps, Car Jack, Stands, flat-file
    Fixings: Clear silicone (or black), self drilling screws (12mm 5off) & (20mm 4off each side), washers (13off)
    Beverage: Preferred beverage(s)

To Start:

You have you preferred beverage at the ready

Ok so a look at what we have to work with. You can see my V1.0 Lip installed as per the other DIY Lip thread. The STi Lip is placed just under offering a comparison shot between the two, if anyone is interested. It's good to step back align and give some thought to how to go about such a modification. The Lip is designed to fit a 06-07 Subaru WRX STi, which means it WILL not fit 100% straight up! Some modification is required and even still *may not be 100% fit. It's important to accept and realise this prior to progress works

Many will not have to do this next step but I needed to demolish and dismantle my existing rubber lip. Screws, silicone, double sided tape etc all removed, scraped and cleaned with wax and grease remover (this is how your MPS will look if you it is standard) Shot was taken prior to cleaning

On the top of the Lip the is a bit of a step up (basically a bit of plastic that steps up vertically a few mm). You can probably fit it with this still on, but it won't look great. So you'll need to cut it off. The best and easiest way to do so is by using a multi tool. A few images to demonstrate this: I have highlighted the "waste" area, remove this

After doing this, we realigned the Lip to check for fit with that plastic step-up removed. Fits flush now. We decided to work from the sides, then focusing on the middle. Use of the clamps come in handy here when checking fit. When happy fit the Lip from the sides. This involves the 4 20mm screws penetrating the underside of the Lip and into the underside of the bumper. 4 screws each side *with washers, easy does it, don't strip the thread in the soft plastic and not too tight. Note the middle section is UNSECURED at this point in time.

These are the screws on the underside of the right hand side of the Lip

For the middle section (as mentioned above is unsecured) I used Clear Silicone (takes a while to fully bond) but has never let me down. Run a bead on the top of the STi Lip and press the Lip together with the underside of the bumper. Use clamps here to hold in place. Now its time for 5off 12mm self drilling screws. From the underside penetrating through the Lip and into that Lip-Vane. Using washers, go ahead and screw them in. 12mm *might just poke out the top but try and drill back as back as possible (there is more meat plastic towards the rear of that Lip-Vane) 5 equally spaced screws, continue using the clamps for as long as you like to give the silicone a chance to set but the screws should be adequate enough to allow the silicone to dry. I was driving within hours of doing all this.

Now, around the sides. The end caps will stick out about an inch or so each side. The Lip is a touch too long for the MPS and the wheels may hit the lip when turning. You'll need a hacksaw or similar to cut this at 90 degrees or in-line with the bumper. It'll look a bit dodgy for the minute but it needs to be done.

Once you've trimmed the end caps off, I filed the rough edge off a bit and smoothed it out a touch. It's plastic so it just flakes away. Use the cut-off caps to create your own end cap. Basically trim off the top, side and bottom but LEAVE THE END CAP. Should be just a single (more-a-less) flat piece. Holding it in place blog it up with some silicone or adhesive on the inside so you won't see it. I used insulation tape just as extra to hold it in place to allow the silicone to dry. Thanks again Toddy I was doing more important things like finishing my 5 seeds when I turned around he had the end cap trimmed and good to go! Looks something like this...

And a side profile pic...

Last edited by rogwick; 05-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Looks good Andre.

Need more pics with the car at ground level though (from front etc). Hard to get an idea of overall finished look

(I have closed this thread for further editing, will re-open shortly)

The result of the STi Urethane Front Lip on Mazda 6 MPS...

What's a Rogwick mod thread without my mascot

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Looks good Andre.

Need more pics with the car at ground level though (from front etc). Hard to get an idea of overall finished look
    Lol, yeah next weekend maybe. This has taken me about 6-7 hours From install to posting. Kicking it back watching TV now!

M P S

Looks good Rog! Thanks for the write up

Nice one buddy! What made you so confident that the STI lip was going to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    My Souperior Enteligance - Nah it was a gamble. I met with an STi owner before purchase and compared my bumper to his. Still, it was a gamble. Something I've been thinking about for a while now, Sti Lip. It's actually not that hard at all and fits pretty well after a couple of tweaks. Pretty happy with the result really.

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Because Toddy has a big saw and hammer to make anything fit!

That looks really good. Job well done.

Great work guys and awesome write up... Impressive stuff
    i'll be getting my one ordered up very soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Because Toddy has a big saw and hammer to make anything fit!

Well done dude, looks pretty good and has a nice fit. Got me thinking about going this route or similar

You've sold it for me Rog.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    You've sold it for me Rog.
    Haha, glad you like it. A few guys in the Uk have one on order already

you got any measurements of your bar or the lip Andre?

What measurements do you want/need?

or if you have a link for the measurements of the front bar at all.

Basically just overall length of the front bar from end to end and from end to where the bar starts to curve.

I'd imagine the 6 bar is a tad bigger than the 3 bar. Just trying to gauge a rough sizing

I don't know of a link that gives the front bar curved width, so I'd have to measure it. If anyone has placed an order and not installed it, perhaps you could visit and lift the Lip up to your car to see if it fits.

I'll get a piece of string sometime and measure the curved-width of the MPS6 Front bar. I can tell you know the STi Lip was about 2 inches too long (an inch each side as I trimmed it to fit)

Decals have arrived, now just waiting on "ozMPSclub" and "MPS" decals to decide how to go about it, thinking a subtle grey Nurburgring and a bright red MPS to the side of it at this stage

Pics to come (when I find some time) of the Version 1 Sti Urethane Lip. Had some decals arrive from Spain so converting the MPS to a nurburgring edition MPS (lol...of sorts!)

Next long weekend should see my new grille complete which will match the Lip. No more "Mazdaspeed" grille. Nick...if you're reading this, keep reminding me of getting those dimensions for you, keep forgetting

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast