User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: InterCOOLers Anyone?

Sassimac, exactly why i am doing my own setup, other than it gives you a sense of pride building up your own stuff for a fraction of the price.
    http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forum/mps...ze-2-25-a.html

Not sure if im permitted to link to another forum but that shows some pics. time is a pain but its getting there in stages.

Sorry if its a bit off topic, may help someone tho...?

That's fantastic, good on you..!!!

A word of advice. Take a bucket of pictures. And keep some record on how and what you did. You never know, you may pioneer this for others.

Wayne - based on your experience doing it with the Astra, any ideas on what factory cores (or whole coolers) might go OK on the MPS and CX-7?

I ended up using a core from JustJap in NSW. They had heaps!!!!

The size I used was 180mm x 550mm x 65mm with 2 1/4 inch outlets. They still have them at $169. ( I paid $120 back then )

I bought all the stainless bends and tubing off the shelf from a local steel merchant. All hosing from AVO Turboworld, and clamps from Supercheap.

This FMIC was not the biggest one in the world, but I can say after datalogging, it dropped my intake temps around 30C. Usually only a few degrees above ambient.

Here is a link to my first build. You will even find a spreadsheet there, showing a comparison between two cars on the same day. As in, drove and logged mine, and then his. The results were staggering.

The CX7 runs HOT. The topmount is horrible. Datalogiing that is shocking to watch compared to my old astra. Fitting a 3 1/4 inch ETS was equally shocking to log. The difference between them was ~5C. I reckon a complete waste of $800. It NEVER sits anywhere near ambient. Normally 40C and above.

Blog Entries

I would of thought better from the ETS?

Wow, thats a lot of silicon piping lol, looks like you had a fair bit of room compared to the MPS3's, and had some of the piping in place already. That cooler is pretty much the same as mine aswell. Will throw up some more pics as i go along and a heap once its all up and running. DIY for the win!

Was actually a serious PITFA...!!!!

I had to move the radiator back about an inch to fit it all. It looks easier than it actually was..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    Wayne - based on your experience doing it with the Astra, any ideas on what factory cores (or whole coolers) might go OK on the MPS and CX-7?
    I was going to look into using a Mitsu VR4 cooler but my mate couldn find his old one. honestly, i dont think it would be worth the effort using a 2nd hand core when there are so many cheap new cores, 9 times out of 10 there is nothing wrong with them and they do a great job considering what we pay for them now. The VR4 would prob have a smaller surface area than the OEM one so prob wouldn be the best core to use.You could even front mount the stock core but it woul be a pain in the ass tho.

Quote Originally Posted by racebitz View Post
    You could even front mount the stock core but it woul be a pain in the ass tho.
    I was thinking about that too...

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Almost finnished the hot piping today, 1 bend short

Had it planned out but bends didnt line up as joins would have been right on the bends, not what i wanted to have. Tried it a different way now and looks like i need a 45 to finnish it off. Will take some other pics when its done, tomorrow hopefully.

Cold piping should be a bit easier, fingers crossed.

Remember, if you want to keep the piping cold, you can get a heatproof exhaust wrap.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sassimac View Post
    Remember, if you want to keep the piping cold, you can get a heatproof exhaust wrap.....
    All piping will be extream heat treated matt black, same stuff you get your exhaust housing for the turbs done in. I hate using wrap on cooler piping.

Ill tell you story tho, back in the day when my mates and i got our first modded turbo cars, a mate used cardboard electrical taped over his cooler piping to apparently keep the heat out.... Needless to say i was shocked Didnt know what to say to him every time he popped his bonnet.. speechless.

hahah would have been alight!

Goodness gracious great balls of fire!

if you like that, you would have loved when he tried to take the heating core out of a 12v hair dryer and then use the blower for an air intake for the carby on his 4k rolla.... That got a bit technical for him and he gave up after a few tries...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123